+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow @Bergeron you are a good food warrior c woman. I am so impressed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    SpecialControlGroup, good job!
    You did the right thing. You aren't a mean mummy, you are a great mummy!
    My mum used to do that to me all the time and I turned out just fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post

Totally agree! I bow down to you! SPG as others have said you are not mean its short term pain for long term gain. Big hugs and good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not a mean mummy, we have similar battles here. I too have created a problem with DS2 by giving him whatever would get him to eat. At 3.5 he still expects me to feed him (and embarrassingly I would just so food would go in, he's such an attention fiend).
    Ive done similar to you, and will offer him his meal. It sits there for 40 mins (he's a s.l.o.w. eater) and after that I take it away. If he doesn't eat what I think is a necessary amount it's straight to bed with no bath or story, because he is clearly too tired to chew/eat. It's had success (I wouldn't say amazing overnight changes), but he eats so much more (amount wise and variety) 6 months in.
    It's tough, but I think you are doing the right thing xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post

Good on u Bergeron. What an inspiration. We are not here to be our children's best friend. We are here to make tough decisions and be the parent

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently started something's similar with my almost two year old. He was getting different things if he didn't eat his dinner/lunch/whatever. It was getting ridiculous with half eaten things all over the house etc. now, he can choose snacks but must eat all of what he picked before anything else is offered. At dinner and lunch, he gets what we have and if he chooses not to eat it, he gets nothing. If he asks for anything else, he gets offered his dinner again and told that there is nothing else.

Surprisingly, it hasn't taken too long for him to just eat what we are having. I also found that I was serving him too much, I think maybe it was too overwhelming! Don't feel bad, she will thank you for this later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not mean! I fear my DD is heading in the same direction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Not a bad mum at all!!!! The opposite actually.
    Dh and I use to be very over weight, I was 120 kilos, and for dinner as a family we would have so much crap, oily, food.
    I would also let the kids have coke with meals *don't shoot me* when my youngest was 2 I didn't want my children to turn into me!
    Unhappy, unhealthy, sick...

I had been dieting myself for a few months and tried to get dh,ds and dd to have what I was having but for peace and quiet I would just give in and give them what they wanted.
    One day I cleared everything crap from the house (my kids actually cried when I did this) We went to a fruit and veg market and stocked up (with crying kids in tow) I didn't even buy meats as I knew my kids would just eat that and avoid the 'new stuff'
    It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
    I did it on a bad payweek so the last bit of our money was spent on fruit and veg.. No one could go buy anything else, there was nothing left in the house so there was no other options.
    My husband acted like he had been robbed. He was pretty p!ssed off.
    My kids hated me, dd who was 2 didn't eat a thing for 3 days and cried constantly that she was hungry, ds said horrible things to me, but all I offered was wholesome food for their complaints.
    On day 4 everyone caved and ate dinner (which was salad wraps) each day after that got better and better.
    After a good week of eating what I served I started putting meats back on the plate and they did eat equal enough portions of each, which I was happy with.

I have never felt like such a b*tch in my life when I did that.
    It's been nearly 2 years since that change.
    Dd has no more eczema.
    Ds behaviour has been great.
    Dh was 110 kilos, he is now 80
    I was 120kgs I'm now 68
    The kids stuff around at meal times, yes, they don't sit and eat up but at least now if they don't eat dinner because they have been distracted or what not, they will come to me an hour or so later asking for something healthy, which is a huge improvement!!!
    I'm trying to work on having them eat when dinner is served instead of having sibling rivalry games

We have nothing crap in the house anymore.
    No coke, nothing is in packages and it's all fresh.
    The only thing bad in the house is a bottle of cordial that I've had here for over a week now for me to mix in with dd's medicine (I tried some of the medicine and it's nasty hence the cordial)
    There would be 20 ml gone from the bottle, it's only been used for her medicine. Ds hasn't even asked for some.
    If that was in the house 2 years ago, it would have been drained within 2 days.

In the beginning I remember the kids would scream for McDonalds... In the car, shops, anywhere they seen McD they would scream bloody murder for it.
    So I would go, but just get a fruit bag, a small garden salad with a bottle of water.
    I made sure they ate at least some if it too, they only asked 3-4 times then never mentioned mcdonalds again lol.

It's hard. But it really is short term pain for long term gain.
    In the first few days I felt like I was starving them and being unreasonable, my dr assured me that no child who can either open a fridge or has food sat in front if them daily will starve.
    He said they will try not to eat, but if food is around human instinct will make them eat it.
    You are amazing! I had tears reading this. So proud of someone I have never met

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good on you spg !
    We had a rule for our three when they were small- they had to eat all their veg/salad before their meat. Otherwise they'd eat their sausage or bit of chicken or whatever and be "too full" for veg. And dessert is just a piece of fruit or yoghurt unless it's a special occasion. We also hid loads of veg in their food and then told them later what they'd eaten, so they couldn't throw the "but I don't LIKE zucchini/broccoli/carrot etc" routine- because the answer would always be "Really? You ate it yesterday with no complaints, there was heaps of it in your savoury mince/bolognese/curry"
    People often asked us at parties and bbqs how we got our kids to eat salad etc- we just told them it was our rule. It also helps to only have healthy options available- I remember putting dd1's sandwich in the fridge at daycare years ago and another mum asking how I got her to eat brown bread- I told her dd didn't know there was another kind.
    These days the thermomix helps me make heaps of healthy stuff, lunchbox fillers etc.
    Hopefully your DD will come around soon, the first days will no doubt be the most challenging. If she's a big pasta fan you can make her "noodles" out of peeled strips of zucchini as a substitute.

@Beregon wow, what a strong mama to effect such a positive change in her family! Great work, just fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow if you're a bad mum then i must be EVIL.
    My DD 2.8yrs is terrible come diner time. We dont have any junk in the house, so it cant be offered, seen or eaten.
    If DD doesnt eat what i out up then she goes to bed with nothing else. She even knows this and still wont eat dinner.
    ive tried early dinners, ive tried later dinners, ive tried at the table together, ive tried a high chair and a little table and chair setting of her own, We tried a reward chart and bribes. Nothing made her even pick up a pea.
    Before she goes to bed i ask her if she's hungry and she says no. So i just dont know. She snaks on fruit and doesnt really even eat that much during the day.
    Its so frustrating but i have just had enough of the fights at the dinner table. i eat my dinner and i dont care anymore if she doesnt. It stays there on the table untill she goes to bed.
    She sleeps through the night perfectly but is up pretty early In the mornings and will have 3 bowls of cereal , a banana and toast.