+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annerley View Post
    Hi @Minib I'm feeling pretty good thanks but can't believe in 2.5 days I'll have an answer. The 2ww has been a lot easier this time as ive had lots to keep me busy at this time of year. Not sure if it also helps that I've done the wait before but I think the 2ww might be a little tougher during a fresh cycle as they are more intense and then during the wait, you feel like you're doing nothing but waiting! This cycle it's been more waiting than action. Did you find that with fresh vs frozen? I'm sure if helps that I have DD now too.

As for breastfeeding, you're bringing back a lot of memories for me. I had to do formula top ups during my hospital stay as DD got to 5 days old and my milk still hadn't come in so she was well and truly starving. She was going slightly yellow so they suspected jaundice. She was tested but didn't have it thankfully but it meant I needed to keep her well hydrated. Once day 6 came around, my milk was in and I tried to go on without formula and it worked for the next month. I felt like things were going perfectly and we'd worked things out! I also felt no discomfort with feeding, it was like you described. I'd heard of bubs mixing day and night but didn't have to contend with that so have no advice. My DD wanted to feed a lot til 11pm-ish every night and would then sleep til 4am, wake for a feed and then back to sleep for a couple more hrs. I just happened that way but I think the clustering til late at night filled her up for a big overnight sleep.

I'd heard that the 6 week mark is tricky for feeding as bub goes through a massive growth spurt and is wanting to feed constantly. I really doubted myself at this stage and felt like she was completely draining me and still wanting more. I know breasts are never empty but I really felt I had nothing more to give. I also had no expressed supply to give her as I'd be the one who would pump for 30mins and get 30 ml, it would take me days to fill a bottle so it wasn't worth it. After a week of battling with the 6 week spurt, we gave in and gave one bottle of formula a night. It was at that time that we progressively started to mix feed as once you start regular bottles for a full feed, especially since that initial stage, it can be really hard to go back. One lady from mothers group went back to exclusive breast feeding after mix feeding but I don't know how she managed it. I found that once DD was 2mths old, she was having 2 bottles a day and 4 breast feeds. I really liked that routine as it gave me a break. It lasted like that for a month until she started to fuss with breast feeding as she was getting used to filling up with bottles so we went to 3 of each for another couple of weeks until she fussed again. Leading up to her turning 4mths, I was more or less only doing 2 feeds a day and the rest was formula. The day she turned 4mths she completely refused the breast in favour for the bottle. I was sad that it had to end but I know the bottle kept me sane to an extent. I felt completely drained and unsure when breastfeeding and it didn't help that DD was a slow weight gainer so I felt like if was continually starving her regardless of the fact that she slept well so must have been content, I just couldn't see how she could be since she was only just scraping in with 90- 100g weight gains a week.

My DD used to be a slow feeder as well so I'd take at least an hr each feed, she never got quicker. From what I've gathered they really do need to be on the breast continually in the beginning but my DD was never hugely demanding so that would have affected my supply and therefore we couldn't feed for the long term. We used a dummy, which meant she slept well and was happy not to be on me continuously so that may have played a part in it too but then again, I was a dummy baby and my mum fed me right through, so this isn't always the case.

When it comes down to it, persevering with breastfeeding is rewarding and I'm glad I tried really hard to stick it out. I found it hugely overwhelming but still wanted to try my best and will do the same again and hopefully go even longer next time around. I've learnt a lot about giving in to the bottle rather than just pushing through the 6 week hungry phase and trusting your body. Now I've been through it once, I'll try and push through even harder next time. I don't fully regret the bottle though as being a first time mum, I was so beside myself with the feeding- even hubby says that breastfeeding was the hardest thing about having a newborn and he obviously wasn't even doing it! Giving her the bottle did end up making me feel more relaxed, calm and enjoy her even more than I was. It's not all bad and she's a healthy and flourishing toddler now, who instead of being on the 10th percentile in weight, she is exactly 50th percentile.

Sorry for the long post but I guess what I'm trying to say is, prepare yourself for the 6 week mark and trust yourself and see if you can push through without using bottles, as unfortunately in my experience it does lead to full formula feeding. However, if anytime you feel like it's too much, it's totally ok to have a bottle fed baby and as I said, I have no regrets now as I know I gave it my best shot and when it comes down to it, she was happy and fed
    You did your best @Annerley and maybe next time you'll be more prepared for breastfeeding and be able to manage a bit longer. You're definitely right about mix feeding ultimately leading to weaning early. All the mothers in my Mother's Group who mix fed ended up stopping breastfeeding before they were ready.

It's because the baby gets used to the faster easier flow of a bottle and the lack of nipple stimulation reduces supply.

One of the things that's helped me breastfeed this long is Bubhub .

Often when I'm on here, I'm lying down feeding DS. But it's a lot quicker than it used to be.

At 12 weeks or so babies become a lot more efficient and feeds become very short, especially during the day. It's not like the early days where they are on the boob all the time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (12-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No testing yet @Minib as I'm 10dpo so may not get a line, I'm curious but also happy to wait a bit longer. I'm planning to poas the morning of my BT so hubby and I can find out together before he leaves for work. I'll be 13dpo then so will be able to trust the test. 13dpo is also the day I got my bfp with DD.

My DD lost about 6% of her birth weight but I know it would have been much more had she not had formula. She was only 50g shy of her birth weight at her 10 day check so that was good.

I think ultimately why I did start the bottle feed each night is because DD would cluster feed at night and it felt like it was never going to end. It would be getting late, I'd be tired and she'd still be no where near settled for bed. We'd give her the bottle and off to sleep she'd go.

It definitely isn't easy, you are right there!! I think you have a great attitude- you are trying hard but know it's not something that you have to do, if it doesn't end up working out. I found it helped if I made short term goals. Like when I started with the 1 bottle a day at 7 weeks, I aimed to make it to 3mths. When DD turned 3mths and mix feeding was still working, I felt so happy!

DD is 18mths old next week. She has slept in her own cot in her own room for the past year (she was in her own bassinet in our room for the first 5.5mths) and self settles. She gave up bottles so easily, we stopped formula at her birthday and she was completely bottle free by 14mths of age. I don't judge anyone who co-sleeps at all but I don't think it's for me. I'd hate the thought of her sleeping with us, jumping on and off my boob all night and only being able to settle with a boob in her mouth. I know it's all not like that when people breastfeed but from those with babies the age of my DD, it seems the ones who have weaned the easiest are those who bottle fed as its something that can be taken away- can't exactly take away your breasts and make them disappear. Some of the toddlers actually claw at their mums chests and almost rip mums shirt off in public when they want a feed.
    If you end up bottle feeding one day, it's normal to feel a little sadness but I found it easier when I could look at some positives of our situation.

Good luck and and know whatever you are doing is your best!

Thanks @ScubaGal you are right! I really had no idea what I was going to be in for. I had heard so much about how breastfeeding can hurt, which it did in the really early days but once the pain went away and my milk came in, I thought our challenges were over. I hadn't been around babies much until I had DD so had no idea that they can change their habits so quickly. I thought our feeding was going to continue going well and suddenly it all changed and I was so confused what to do and panicked since she was a tiny bub who couldn't afford to not gain weight. I definitely will be more prepared, now I just gave to cross my fingers that there is a next time!!
    Last edited by Annerley; 12-12-2015 at 21:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minib- your little girl sounds exactly like my DS when he was a newborn. Sounds like you trying your best and it's so tricky at the start. With DS He would fall asleep 10 sec in to a feed and it would be a struggle to get him to keep feeding. I utilized the LC at the hospital and used to call a midwife in for every feed because I lacked confidence and he was so hard to latch. My milk came in pretty late and I had to pump after every feed and syringe feed him a top up. It was so heartbreaking to see him crying and he lost more than 10% of his weight. I preserved with bfing I even called a private lactation consultant a few days after I got home in desperation. She came to my house and it was amazing. She said to pump after a feed but for no more than 10 mins on each side. She helped with latching which was so difficult and we had a plan to help fatten him up. I can give you her details if you like. Bfing hurt and I would get anxiety thinking about the next feed but set little goals to get to and eventually it didn't hurt and we loved it. We exclusively fb for three months but had to stop because he developed an allergy and was bleeding every time he pooed and I tried everything to keep bfing but the childrens hospital told me to stopped after nothing worked. I still pumped every day for a month just in case I could still bf and I did a little until he refused the breast. It was so heartbreaking. I hope with this bubba I can bf for much longer.
    With day and. Night I used to wheel the bassinet into the lounge room in the day, have the tv on and then into our room at night. That's helped a lot. It's so tricky you think it's all settling down and then they change.

Annerley I can't believe your BT is in only 2 days! Fingers crossed x

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Riss78 it would be good if I could get the LC details in case I need it. In hindsight I should have said no to top up but I was too worried and lack of confidence. Anyway for the last 2 days I have been feeding her around the clock. No top up. But last night I did give her a bottle of formula as she has been so upset. Today she's much better. Latching better and calmer. She takes on the boobs pretty well but my nipples start to get a bit sore. Not because of the frequency. More because she bit on it w few days ago and now it gets sore because she sucks on it longer and more frequent. I am more nervous about nighttime because I'm not sure how she is. But will see how we go and keep positive.

She even had an hour nap in between feeds today. That's a great achievement.

Oh no re the allergies. Hopefully your second bubba no issue at all and no allergies. So hard isn't it BF-ing? Being first time mum, wow things can be overwhelming. Day 3-5 were hard for me. So emotional. But now I'm so much better and more rested too. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib I got a bfp yesterday on a hpt and had my BT this morning and it's a positive! I'm happy of course but extremely cautious! Next BT is this Friday.
    My progesterone was looking great, which is pleasing since I'm not on any meds to help this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG @Annerley congrats!!!! That's super awesome news!! What's the hcg level???

Woohoo!!! Your batch of embies are awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My beta was 51 for 3 weeks and 6 days pregnant and P4 was 58. Apparently they were really happy with that but I wasn't sure what to expect the day before af is due

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good beta. My clinic likes beta over 200 at 16dpo which is 4w2d

So working backwards your beta of 51 at 3w6d is awesome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge congrats on the birth of your little girl @Chiefsgirl I noticed a post on another thread and am so so happy for you! So well deserved that you are finally a mum. I hope everything is going well and that you are enjoying your precious baby!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annerley View Post
    Huge congrats on the birth of your little girl @Chiefsgirl I noticed a post on another thread and am so so happy for you! So well deserved that you are finally a mum. I hope everything is going well and that you are enjoying your precious baby!
    Thanks Annerley! Adalyn was born on 13 April weighing 3.5kg (7lb8oz) and 51cm long. We are both smitten by her.

We are home now and apart from some wind issues we are settling in well - oh and the sleep deprivation!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiefsgirl For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (25-04-2016)