+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice ladies. You could also try a nipple shield to help bub latch. My bub was born at 33wks and had several bouts of jaundice. skin to skin, nipple shields and expressing worked for us.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roch For This Useful Post:

waitinghoping  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum inmelbourne View Post
    Congrats on new bub!!! Sounds exactly like my bub... Turns out she just had a small mouth.. She has my mouth and she needed time to get the hang of it... That took six weeks, I expressed and fed the bottle but each time trying the breast first .. After a few weeks she would take more and more from the breast and finally a full feed... Was a hard first 6 weeks but worth it , good luck !!
    My DD had a small mouth too so Im wondering if he is the same, he struggles to draw enough of the breast in (my nipples arent overly big either) - she had full breast refusal by 10 weeks. Im SOOOOOOOOOOO hoping to prevent that this time and want to try to persevere until he is big enough/strong enough. Im really happy to hear someone else with a small mouth had success!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just so you know, you don't have to be a member of the ABA to access their helpline. :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

waitinghoping  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 had attachment issues and ended up having a tongue tie... They weren't sure in hospital but a lactation consultant confirmed it and I went to a paed and got it sorted . That's just my experience .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heymegz For This Useful Post:

maco  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    How much are you giving with the syringe?
    the last full syringe feed he had a bit over 40ml. if he b/feeds first he usually takes a 10ml top up

Thanks
    Reviews
    *hugs* I had a prem bub with jaundice so have faced/am facing many of the same issues as you!

My DD wasn't gaining weight well (she's only up 250g on her birth weight at 5 weeks) so I am now expressing as she feeds, she's on the right and I pump the left then switch. If she BF only, she doesn't get anywhere near enough. So I let her feed, to encourage supply but also to get that bonding time in. I then give her a "full feed" of EBM (anywhere between 60-100ml). I'm using medela bottles and they don't require much effort so she isn't tiring like she does when she's BFing.

Do you have access to a pump? I hired a hospital grade one from the ABA which has been a god send! I am also toying with the idea of cosleeping so DD can feed on and off all night... Still unsure though :/

I'm seeing my LC tomorrow, if I get any more tips I will come back and add.

Good luck! xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS2 was only a week early but jaundice and just would not latch on and when he did latch he would almost immediately pull back so just the nipple was in his mouth. I basically just let him feed however he wanted (this was painful for me but I'm really stubborn) and in time we finally got it right and he BF for 22 months.
    I'm not saying to do what I did, just trying to say that lots of BF relationships don't have the best start but still go on to be successful. So don't give up hope, your doing great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was born at 36 weeks and he was the same. Super sleepy and nothing would wake him (also jaundiced). What we did was offer the breast if he didn't take it in ten mins offer a bottle of expressed (the tiny ones in hospital) then pump for the next feed. We fed/pumped every 3 hours around the clock for the first few weeks. It took him about 2 weeks to "wake up" and start latching. He also lost 12% in the first week but it didn't take long to get it back.

I know it can be super stressful when they won't wake to feed but if you try him every 3 hours, hopefully as the days go by he will get stronger and latch on his own. You can offer the breast first at every feed. If you have plenty of milk, you shouldn't need to give him formula he only needs little amounts.

Also def call the ABA they can be helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem with my now 18 month old after my milk came in. My nipple changed shape when I became engorged and she just couldn't latch on. Thankfully the lactation consultant was super helpful and persistent trying to help. What worked for us was nipple shields and she used a little pipet of sugar water and squeezed a tiny amount into her mouth to encourage sucking for the first couple of seconds trying to attach her to me via the shield. ( I ended up doing this for the first month but instead of that sugar water stuff I ended up using expressed breast milk squeezed into the side of her mouth as I got her attached). Yes it was fiddly at first but I'm so glad I persisted because it worked and later on I was able to get rid of the shields when my supply settled down. If you really want to breastfeed don't give up hon. It's well worth the effort for both of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies, hearing ppls stories gives me hope!

He had taken a bit more milk overall today via syringe along with 1 feed at the breast and we have FINALLY had some wet nappies. Will continue to persevere with pumping and syringe feeding and offering the breast. Seeing a midwife tomorrow to get him weighed and checked, hoping like mad he has put some weight on!!

Anjalee - yes if you get any good tips I'd love to hear!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

CassJ  (16-10-2013)