+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That looks really good. Do you know how much it ended up costing to build yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DH just finished building DS one for his birthday - we were going to buy it but it was close to $4000! He absolutely loves it, would spend all day in it if he could ! We've made underneath a cafe and put his ikea kitchen and pretend food stuff in there , painted one of the walls with blackboard paint, have a steering wheel and telescope and pretend phone and are just about to put a letterbox on the front! We call it the duplex as its 2 story plus underneath and a slide , its sort of a cubby/ fort - I prefer the open ones over the closed traditional ones as you can see what they are up too ! this is a photo of it nearly finished - ill take a new one later to show you it finished! Attachment 44242

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friends have one from a place called Cullens Cubbies in Brisbane, we wanted one similar but they were soooo expensive. We ended up getting handed down a cubby (ground level, square, about 2x2m) and the kids rarely played in it.

Now that we have moved and sold that cubby with our old house we have decided to go with a pepper town skyfort with monkey bars, slide, rock climbing wall and trapeze. Now that DD is six we think she'll get a lot more out of a playgym/fort than a cubby......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We bought a DIY cubby house kit off eBay. I was a major PITA to put together and when built it was tiny, 1m x 1.5m when the eBay add said it was supposed to be 2m x 2.5m. I complained to the company selling it and they refunded our money but we got to keep the cubby house. We then used the refunded money to get a handy man to extend the cubby so that it is now 1.5 wide by 2.5 deep. I painted the inside walls with pink chalkboard paint, put in Lino, have spent a fortune in paint over 2 years painting it outside (the original part is a cheap pine) and painting the roof....and until the last few months the kids have hardly played in the darn thing. I would not spend money again on buying another one, I just don't think it's been worth the cost for us.

my friend recently did something great....instead of a cubby house she has pitched their tent (it is a tall square sort of tent, not the old triangle sort) in the back yard and put in the kids ikea kitchen, little table and chairs, flip out couches and sleeping bags. The kids LOVE it and best of all she can pack it up when they get sick of it and bring it out again a few months later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is cemented in - we saw a similar one at a play ground in Sydney and he just modified it to the way we wanted it - I'm lucky as his best mate is an architect and his dads a builder! The foundations were the hardest part as our block slopes slightly but once they were done DH just cut all the timber to size and it took him about a month to do as he only really had Sundays and nights to do it
    It still cost us just under $2000 to build as we used good timber and DH wanted to clad the outside and when you add in roofing and paint and accessories it does add up but it's exactly what we wanted and still half the price of similar ones we looked at buying - I've got black and white chequer board vinyl flooring going in tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Half price is a brilliant price!

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It is cemented in - we saw a similar one at a play ground in Sydney and he just modified it to the way we wanted it - I'm lucky as his best mate is an architect and his dads a builder! The foundations were the hardest part as our block slopes slightly but once they were done DH just cut all the timber to size and it took him about a month to do as he only really had Sundays and nights to do it
    It still cost us just under $2000 to build as we used good timber and DH wanted to clad the outside and when you add in roofing and paint and accessories it does add up but it's exactly what we wanted and still half the price of similar ones we looked at buying - I've got black and white chequer board vinyl flooring going in tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandPrincess View Post
    We bought a cubby from CubbyKraft. It's huge, their hugest one and was 1200 high too so required lifting onto legs.

Overall I am happy with the finished product. The installation process was a TOTAL PITA. I cannot emphasise that enough. The instructions were insufficient, they required a lot of guess work, phone calls back and forth and were deceptive. Very disappointing for the $3000 plus we paid.

The kids are in it every day especially when friends come over.

Would I do that cubby again? No, I would get one that was on the ground - but it was gifted to my children from their grandparents so I didn't get much of a say.

Would I get a cubby from the, again? Maybe yes, as we have done it before but if you are NOT handy at all, this company is not for you.
    This!!
    Love our cubby, but we paid someone to install it and they said it would have been faster to make it from scratch. They complained to cubbykraft too.
    We use it every day though.
    Expensive, impossible to construct, not treated and not painted, but we love it!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381876746.549688.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Have posted a wanted ad on freecyclefor one and we are due to receive it this week from a kind person. This is a great option if you can't afford a cubby - then you can pay a local handyman to put it up for you if unable to do so yourself.

My littleboy insinsane about playing house lately - everything is a house to him, and he hides under pillows for a roof and calls that his house. Can't wait till we get a cubby as I want my pillow back at night, and don't want to wake to a toddler hiding under my pillow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also watch out for your local council guidelines - some of the cubby houses are so big they need a council permit!

Gee, there's some amazing cubby pics in this thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, ladies, you have some amazing cubby houses!

We have been given a hand- me- down Little Tikes Dora Playhouse- it sits on a concrete slab near the bbq area, but we can slide it around to different locations. It is about 7 years old, but still looks new! I have always been impressed with Little Tikes products. It has a doorbell, phone, bench and barn door where you can open just the top or the whole door. My DD (1.5yrs old) plays in it and our boys love it too. They play shops and sometimes open a 'roof top cafe' because the boys like climbing. So, yes, I think there is definitely longevity in a cubby house for kids of all ages to enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is the cubby we got the kids, its just after installation so the foundations were still exposed a bit but have been filled in now. Since then dh has installed some panels of clear roof sheeting so there is a skylight and it has solar lights too. I found it secondhand for less than half the price of a new one. Its tall enough for me to stand inside and on the verandah and I have to duck a little for the patio bit with the low roof, the kids have a better view to the hills than us lol We didn't concrete the footings in but used bricks to sit the stumps on and my bro used a surveyors level to make sure it was all straight. It took about 2 arvos for my dh and bro to dismantle it then another 2 days (including having the kids varnish all of the wood) to assemble it again. We use the section underneath to store the kids bikes and pool toys, it does come with a sandpit attachment but I liked the extra storage more and might eventually enclose it with lattice just to make it a bit tidier. It's from cubby Kraft called the blue cockatoo, it think its the bigger one of the 2 models.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by lulu 2; 16-10-2013 at 14:31.