+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about your kid's cubby house?

Where did you get it? Are you happy with it? Do they play in it? What did you pay for it?

(I would prefer buy and install options because we aren't "buildy" types.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Where did you get it? Are you happy with it? Do they play in it? What did you pay for it?

(I would prefer buy and install options because we aren't "buildy" types.)
    We bought a cubby from CubbyKraft. It's huge, their hugest one and was 1200 high too so required lifting onto legs.

Overall I am happy with the finished product. The installation process was a TOTAL PITA. I cannot emphasise that enough. The instructions were insufficient, they required a lot of guess work, phone calls back and forth and were deceptive. Very disappointing for the $3000 plus we paid.

The kids are in it every day especially when friends come over.

Would I do that cubby again? No, I would get one that was on the ground - but it was gifted to my children from their grandparents so I didn't get much of a say.

Would I get a cubby from the, again? Maybe yes, as we have done it before but if you are NOT handy at all, this company is not for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my dad built one for me (hes very hands on and build everything), its been standing well over 20yrs, and still there! (I'm 28 he made it when I was around 4)
    They lined it with lino, put a locking door (from the outside only, with a padlock) perspex windows, lined roof etc etc... I loved it! En used yo always play in it as kids.

From memory, Its about 4.5ft door height, 6ft or a bit more at the top of the peak. I don't think it cost them anything or very little? He worked for a transport company, and there was often timber, plywood etc laying around.

Ds has a "childrens cottage" from bunnings. He loves it, but on his own, doesn't use it as much as I expected. They are around $160. Its plastic, cones with instructions and screws together. Its about 120cm square and high.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DH just finished building DS one for his birthday - we were going to buy it but it was close to $4000! He absolutely loves it, would spend all day in it if he could ! We've made underneath a cafe and put his ikea kitchen and pretend food stuff in there , painted one of the walls with blackboard paint, have a steering wheel and telescope and pretend phone and are just about to put a letterbox on the front! We call it the duplex as its 2 story plus underneath and a slide , its sort of a cubby/ fort - I prefer the open ones over the closed traditional ones as you can see what they are up too ! this is a photo of it nearly finished - ill take a new one later to show you it finished! ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381837388.434340.jpg
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 15-10-2013 at 22:01.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (16-10-2013),lovesushi  (17-10-2013),tatia&shura  (16-10-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love that @Elijahs Mum . I was just looking at some like that on a facebook page.

I think I agree about the open sides too. It would also be easier to keep an eye out for spiders etc without having to stand on your head to get in to check for that sort of thing....or extract the child in question to come in for dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing to post a photo of ours when Im on a device that has one. We got DD a raised cubby built by a retired (well kinda) builder and he designed it as part of an outdoor playground.
    It has a custom built kitchen in it, a slide off it and a telescope and steering wheel. When DD is older we will add monkey bars or climbing net etc. so it is good that it is able to 'grow' with her a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I love that @Elijahs Mum . I was just looking at some like that on a facebook page.

I think I agree about the open sides too. It would also be easier to keep an eye out for spiders etc without having to stand on your head to get in to check for that sort of thing....or extract the child in question to come in for dinner.
    Yes its brilliant - DS will sit up there and just play with his cars, I can see him from the family room or we sit out on the deck and the kids all eat / play in there and we can see them and they love that we can watch them , ( DH put lights in it so last weekend when we had a BBQ all the kids were still playing in it at 8 pm!) DH built this one taller than the original so we can stand up in it and its easier to clean!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Elijahs Mum that cubby looks great! DH is going to build one for our kids over the Christmas break. Can I ask did you cement the posts in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DH just finished building DS one for his birthday - we were going to buy it but it was close to $4000! He absolutely loves it, would spend all day in it if he could ! We've made underneath a cafe and put his ikea kitchen and pretend food stuff in there , painted one of the walls with blackboard paint, have a steering wheel and telescope and pretend phone and are just about to put a letterbox on the front! We call it the duplex as its 2 story plus underneath and a slide , its sort of a cubby/ fort - I prefer the open ones over the closed traditional ones as you can see what they are up too ! this is a photo of it nearly finished - ill take a new one later to show you it finished! Attachment 44242
    Amazing!!
    @Elijahsmum, sorry, you've probably mentioned this already but did you get a kit for this or did your dh build this to his own design. Clever boy!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were thinking about getting one this year.
    DH heard a radio interview with the owner of Aaron's outdoor cubbies. We went on their website and they look good.