+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What do you think is the ideal age gap between siblings?

I was thinking when dd was around 3-4 years we would have another baby as she wouldn't be so needy....
    But my 2 brothers and I were all done and dusted in 3 years and we were extremely close growing up and I'd hate for dd to miss out on that

Is it best to get it all done quickly? Or space it out? Thoughts anyone?

Edit: this is now becoming an option as I just got my period back and got me thinking/clucky/scared lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMO and experience...there is no 'idea'l age gap I can go on and on about all the different things between each child and age gap but it really comes down to how you all get on as one unit. As the old saying goes..age doesn't matter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd and ds are 15 months apart. While havung 2 under 2 was tough we managed. I eouldnt change it for the world now. They are 4 almost 5 and just turned 6. Now im expecting number 3! 5 and 6 year age gap we will see. I think it will be ok my ds will be in school next year with his sister so I dont expect them to have the same bond with the new bub as they have with each other it will still be special that they are old enough to share in her developments and no doubt be doting and overprotective siblings!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    16mths because that's the gap between mine lol. It took a while to find our way and it was sure difficult in the early days at times but i swear it is THE BEST watching and having them grow up together. They have a beautiful relationship. Never any sibling rivalry. DS looks for DD when she's not in the room lol DD is in love with her little brother and laways has been. It's very special between the two of them, i cant even explain it properly.
    Im glad we are done and dusted with having babies so quickly because i am now getting into my career and shortly going back to work so we can purchase our first home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 4 and he wont be having a sibling till hes 6 most likely. Not by choice as I split from his father when he was 2. But my current partner and I are planning on having a bub in a couple of years. At first I was sad that there was quite a big gap, but now I'm looking forward to it as he will be in school so I'll get a lot of 1 on 1 time with bubs and he will be a great big brother

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends entirely on your family, but we have a 4 year gap between our kids & it couldn't be more perfect for us! I love that my older child is independent, toilet trained, can play well on his own & is mature enough to understand a young baby's needs. Meanwhile, my little baby idolizes her older brother, yet she still gets her one-on-one time at home with Mummy & hang out at Mum's group with her baby friends.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blonde Assassin For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to think i'd have them close together so they could be close but now that he's almost 3.5 thats gone out the window. I've spoken to many people, looked at my and my fiances family dynamics and I think for us, it wouldnt matter, They're likely to be close anyway.

My brother and I are almost 6 years apart and we are just as close as we are to our sister in the middle. My fiance has 10 years between him and 2 of his older brothers, he's just as close to them as his other brother that is 1 year difference.

MIL had 3 children by the time she was 21, one after the other basically then awaited 10 years to have the other 2. She highly advised I not follow her path of having them in quick succession LOL.

I have a friend that waited til her eldest went to prep before having her second. She loves it. Her children are still just as close.

I've missed my 'window' to have super close age gaps anyway, so I just look at the positives of the bigger age gap

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I think it's different family to family. My sister and I were almost 4 years apart and that suited my parents, however as we got older we fought A LOT as I didn't want little sister tagging along. We are great friends now we are grown up though.

I have 16 months between my boys. Youngest is only 5 months old and I have found it tough so far but I think they will be great mates.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    17 months between my two boys- it was tough when they were little... well, tough on me, but I am sure it was okay for them. They are very close, even though they are different personalities. They are 1 year apart at school and share some common friends and do activities together. Then we have a 5 year age gap before DD. She won't have a sibling near her own age... But, that's the way it goes. The age gap is a joy for me this time around as the boys are more independent and so on. So, I am thinking a closer age group could be good for the kids, but potentially more difficult for the parents in the short term when they are little.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two will be around 14 months apart, fingers crossed that's a good age difference We were just ready for another Bub not long after DD was born (we waited 8 years for DD, so having 2 close together is a dream come true for us ).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post: