+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Self settling

How old was your bub when they were able to fall asleep without you in the room? And did they require a sleep aid (dummy, music etc) to be able to do this?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 4 next month......still waiting.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-10-2013),MrsHoward  (23-10-2013),MrsSS  (16-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think DS was 4-5 months.. I used controlled crying though. It took 2 weeks before he was able to self settle. He used a dummy and white noise.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

michellead  (15-10-2013),~Marigold~  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was 6mths. we did a gentle approach as i couldnt cope leaving him to cry. I would sit beside his cot, on the floor, out of his view and pat....and pat.....and pat...untill he started to calm down, then id ease off the patting and stop when he stopped. Then start again if he started up again lol. I never left him while he was crying or upset. I just couldnt bring myself to walk out on him.
    I did this for a sleep cycle, so 40mins each nap time, then get him up and try again next time he was tired. It took 4 weeks. He's great now
    I used a dummy and a little satin snuggle rug thingy. He looks for it as soon as i put him in his cot and sniffs it like a drug

DD had to also be taught to self settle and was doing to by 6-7mths old. We basially did the same thing but needed the help of sleep intervention because i had no idea what i was doing being my first bub! They taught me this 'gentler approach' and stayed with me in my home untill i got dd off to sleep.

oh and i cant stress to ppl enough how much a routine helps with the whole process.
    Last edited by Beefie; 15-10-2013 at 13:31.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 6 months and I did controlled crying with a dummy.
    Swore I'd do it differently next time around then a perfect contented DS arrived and self settled from birth till 4-5 months, but I enjoyed the cuddles too much and stupidly didn't have a routine and paying for it till 8months. In the last month I've removed dummy, wrapping and onight feeds - poor thing was in shock but at nearly 9 months is great at self settling now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 4 months I took away the dummy and did cc. It took one (awful) night. I'm so glad I did it at that age as it was relatively quick and painless. Then she settled herself great. Re settling BACK to sleep though.... that's another story but we got there lol

I use white noise I have a copy on my iPod for her room and on my phone when we are out at visiting grandparents. I personally HATE it but she loves it (sounds like a washing machine) and can sleep through anything (tradies, my dog barking, loud movies, drunk friends at night)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 16-10-2013 at 06:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    15 months. He had never self settled on his own prior.

we spent a week at a sleep centre to get him to self settle without our assistance which was patting him for up to 1hr to fall asleep at every sleep. He has no sleep aids, he did have dummy but ditched it at 11 months.

we used CIO and he is now the most awesome sleeper/settler. He sleeps more now at 18 months then he has ever in his life (yes including newborn stage).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was able to self settle around 12 months. I very gently weaned from feeding to settle to rocking to patting in cot then eventually could put him down awake and he would self settle and re-settle in the night. He had a solid bedtime routine and music as sleep aids. There were a few rough periods between 12-18 months with teeth etc. But he's now nearly 3 and a little champion at bedtime - he loves it often takes himself off to bed and reads himself to sleep if we're running late with his routine!

DS2 is 6 months and has never self settled. He's fed or rocked to sleep atm, but I don't mind, I like the cuddles!! He wakes 4-6 times a night, so if that hasn't improved a bit by 12 months I'll probably try to gently teach him to self settle like I did with DS1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds started to self settle at 3 months using CIO. Nights were the easiest. Day sleeps were terrible because of silent reflux so we just did what we could with rocking etc. by 6 months he could self settle day and night as the reflux stopped with the introduction of solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My twins are nearly 4 months and have always self settled at bedtimes. During the day they only do one sleep cycle before waking and not resettling though. At night they resettle themselves really well..don't know why it can't happen in the day! We have never rocked to sleep or used dummies (i use dummies outside of the cot but not for sleeping). The most we have done is pat them to sleep and we've been fortunate that they don't get to the emotional cry, (which I wouldn't allow without comforting) before falling asleep.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app