Closed Thread
Page 19 of 98 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All

twocam - yup, I'm 16 kg up already! Thats also only 2 kg away from my full term weight with DD, and still 11 weeks to go . Gotta love blood in a "clean" room at the hospital...I've to my tour on Saturday, I'll now be looking very closely

gilliebean - funny that you could only bf with the football hold, because I could NEVER figure out how to do that, I could also never feed laying down (maybe because I'm not exactly blessed in the boob department)... Woohoo for only 11 more work days!

sunshinebell- those stockings sound fab! Hope you enjoy your breast feeding class. The breast feeding clinic at KEMH helped me so much when I struggled with breast feeding after DD was born.

rachael3 - welcome, and congratulations! I have one of those glider chairs, and I found it absolutely invaluable when DD was new...but, having said that, I switched to the couch (mostly because it ad a better view of the telly ) after about 3 months. Still, I'm really glad that I still have it, and I'm determined to somehow fit it into either our Loungeroom or games room this time around.

sariele - glad you enjoyed your cruise! Like sunshine, I find if I eat a couple of serves of fruit each day I'm ok, lots of people seem to swear by pear juice...hope you find something that works for you...

lindsaywa, kd0085 -

AFM - I feel very unprepared right now! ...today thanks to sunshine, I bought some newborn nappies, some maternity pads, and some breast pads, but I completely forgot to look for an actual bag! ...problem is, everything that I would pack in a hospital bag, I am still wearing... How is everyone getting around that???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

Also I'm having the same delima about the hospital bag. Where did you buy maternity/ breast pads? Has anyone bought the maternity bras from Target or should I go somewhere else? Do I have to buy new pjs, tracky pants, knickers etc so they are ready in the bag as I wear most of the clothes I can fit in. I should buy a new toothbrush/ paste for DH and I to leave in the bag..that's the idea isn't it?
    Last edited by Rachael3; 03-12-2013 at 06:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our experienced mums can add to this.... But for us this is what ive dicsovered on a overnight and 3night stay and what I ive got in mine.

Bare with me I slept fully for two night and back to 3am insomnia on the couch sipping hot milo again at the moment!!!

- I bought a cheap cotton button nightie $23? from best and less that came with a short sleeve night coat. It has full buttons or can be kept as a spare nightie I too. At the time I got an $8 slip on one to for an extra at home. I wouldn't take good ones and its not a fashion parade.

- you so definately need more nickers than you think. MIN 2-3 a day. And I found the ones the were kelvin Klein mens from asia that dh doesn't wear worked the best. Wide enough for the biggest surf board pads. Go to big w or somewhere extremely cheap and get a multipack of mens. They were so comfy. Surfboats make you smelly and you want to change and stay fresh regularly.

- I bought a new toothbrush and a small toothpaste and have just had it sitting in there. You'll use it for home next time you need a new one.

- a shower cap was really handy.!? I had a travel bodywash size bottle. Or you can just use there pump soap.

-I have a heap of packet samples & small bottles that have been given with a magazine I bought months I ago and the baby expo. So all my tummy creams, body wash were those. Takes no space and no big bottles you use everyday.)

- I had a new $3 pair of rubber thongs from kmart ... perfect!

-I had a pair of $3.50 lightweight bed trax from kmart in august and after first bleed went back and got two more. They look like day house pants. Absolutely perfect.Sooo light and great for hospital day wear.
    Three night stay
    -3 day dax
    - 3 singlets
    - 2 bras

- 2 easy lightweight pull over dresses but I didn't even change into them to leave the lightweight trax and singlet seen me home.

#######
    Now further we never use our camera. So mine has been fully charged and is in zip bag with charger sitting in the hospital bag.
    My phone and then ipad dh bought in day 2 saved me. (Not that we'll gave time when its the real thing!)

My tiny hand bag torch was handy. A pen to fill out you food menu! A puzzle book.

Other toiletries - rollon, hairband, moisturizer (again rather than big bottle I had a travel sample size, pawpaw oint for those itchy nipples (which you will need for the real thing).
    Just thought next time youre at chemist, see if they have samples.. myer will for cleansers, moisturizers.

#####
    I got a box of breast pads just from a chemist. And the maxi pads (they weren't specifically pregnancy ones) from woolies. When I was taken from er to my room they actually gave me a big box .... . Shh I repacked my bag with those!

A small pack of baby wipes for you. I read this on bh and its true. Unfragranced soap free ones are perfect for keeping fresh down low from those surfboat pads and hospital toilet paper is really bad. So for post internal or post baby no2's you gonna love them.

You really just need basic items. I never had them packed and thank goodness... But I you read sample lists with hairdryers and straighteners, who are you kidding! Seriously . Just keep it simple guys.

My baby bag has nevernyet left home but has nappy essentials only and for clothes it has a wondersuit and go home outfit in both NB & oooo, 2 wraps, mits, 2 beanie, socks.
    Again ive come to realise or believe the hospital supply it up until you check out, so its just for the drive home. Experienced mums?

I am going tonput in for dh boardies (incase he showers with me) & a fresh shirt for if its a long labour he'll need just a fresh something to change into. He can always finger brush his teeth!!!! Just keepin it simple!!

Experienced mums .... your input and take on it all is required please
    Last edited by Sunshinebell; 14-11-2013 at 21:37.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshinebell For This Useful Post:

cheekynumum  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Subshinebell. I have bad insomnia as well. Up at 2:30am most nights

Thanks for the tips, starting to write a list based on this.

In regards to the nighty, is if for labour or do they make you take your clothes off and wear the hospital gowns? I prefer to wear a top and loose thin pants in bed.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 14-11-2013 at 07:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    Thanks everyone

Pillara, why was the chair invaluable? My friend is adamant that the next chair she buys will be like this. She said feeds can take long and you can get really sore if you have a bad chair. This is not exactly the look I was going for. We have a double storey so I don't see myself locked up in bubs room during the day. I said to DH that we can get this chair (since he also wants it badly) and if I spend most of my time downstairs then we will bring it down and buy another small armchair (which is the look I was after) in bubs room for night time rather than trying to make a decision now. Where did you feed at night if your DH had to sleep and get up in the morning? I'm so confused about this.

Also I'm having the same delima about the hospital bag. Where did you buy maternity/ breast pads? Has anyone bought the maternity bras from Target or should I go somewhere else? Do I have to buy new pjs, tracky pants, knickers etc so they are ready in the bag as I wear most of the clothes I can fit in. I should buy a new toothbrush/ paste for DH and I to leave in the bag..that's the idea isn't it?
    I agree that the chair doesn't look great (my DD is 4, and mine has been out in the shed since I stopped using it to feed), but the arm rests seem to be at exactly the right height to support your arms (and the weight of bubs). in a different chair I found I needed a complicated mix of cushions and pillows to feed comfortably initially. Also you can adjust the back to the perfect angle, and its nice to put your feet up. Your lady bits will be fairly sore (or mine were), and you don't want to be sitting uncomfortably on your prickly stitches (sorry TMI), And i can only assume that a caesar would provide its own set of discomforts. i had a few difficulties early on with getting her to attach properly, and being comfortable really helped. If bubs is unsettled you can glide back and forwards with him/her in your arms just to settle them (and I found doing this really fast was sometimes the only way to settle DD... Also, as the breastfeeding lady told me, feeding will be your full time job initially (a total of around 8 hours a day), so it's worth being comfortable.

i had DD in our room until she was almost a year old, so once i was practiced/comfortable, i mostly just did the night time feeds sat up in bed (she was pretty quiet while she was feeding), if I thought I was disturbing DH unnecessarily, I would go out to the Loungeroom (and my chair). Initially, when I was sore and it was taking an hour for each feed, I would watch DVDs in the Loungeroom...

i bought Kotex maternity pads from Coles as those seem to be the ones everyone recommends (I used libra last time, but I hear they've changed?)... Breast pads from Coles too (near the nappies), I also have some washable breast pads from when i had DD that I got online... I bought my maternity bras from myer (a two pack of loveable? I think, plus a couple of bonds maternity singlets...as long as they feel comfortable and you can open and close them easily, I think they'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sunshine, you are so incredibly organised!!!

Is it strange that I cannot remember what I had in my hospital bag for DD?

I do remember that I didn't need anything for DD herself except going home stuff, but that might depend on the hospital.

i also remember buying a multi-pack of cheap big black knickers from target... You'll laugh at this, but the thing that made me feel most normal was having a shower, washing, blow drying and straightening my hair!

Rachael3 - I think it probably depends on the hospital/birth centre as to what you wear in labour... I changed into a t-shirty nightie and socks when I got to the birth centre, but when I was transferred to the main hospital, they whipped my nightie off over my head, and I'm pretty sure I was naked on the bed under a blanket for the rest of the time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
    i bought Kotex maternity pads from Coles as those seem to be the ones everyone recommends (I used libra last time, but I hear they've changed?)... Breast pads from Coles too (near the nappies), I also have some washable breast pads from when i had DD that I got online... I bought my maternity bras from myer (a two pack of loveable? I think, plus a couple of bonds maternity singlets...as long as they feel comfortable and you can open and close them easily, I think they'll be fine.
    I got from myer a lovable maternity bra too and if is perfect post birth I'll send nanny or dh in for another.
    From kmart I got pack of 2 maternity elastic band bras (sort of like the ahhbra style but maternity ones) I think 2 for $20 so I have a set of blk and white which I live in now.
    You're onto it. Kotex is the brand of pads the nurse gave me!
    Last edited by Sunshinebell; 14-11-2013 at 11:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
    Sunshine, you are so incredibly organised!!!

You'll laugh at this, but the thing that made me feel most normal was having a shower, washing, blow drying and straightening my hair! ..
    I figure third time could be the real deal.
    Yesterday I noticed I was on edge until I repacked it ... then I just changed... chilled agsin. Funny hey

Thanks for the laugh. Miss wash and wear got a good laugh from the above! Just a shower was enough for me! Xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshinebell For This Useful Post:

Pilbara  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post

In regards to the nighty, is if for labour or do they make you take your clothes off and wear the hospital gowns? .
    I don't know but when I went to my room upstairs friday I had my nightie out and I she offered if id like a hospital gown.
    I said no o. But figure if its labor time I'll say yes. Better yuck and blood all over there than mine.
    But originally thats why I bought the cheap b&l one. Thinking id throw it after youdcstill want your own after birth snyway.
    Last edited by Sunshinebell; 14-11-2013 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good idea girls, I must ask what my hospital actually supplies - at the tour the midwife showed me that next to the bed the bedside drawers are fully stocked with pads, wipes, vomit bags, tissues etc.