+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Freyamum, your opinion doesn't offend me but I find it not only irrelevant here but disappointing given that you have not watched the show. If you had, you would have understood the context the message was delivered in and what the topic was actually about. I honestly believe that you would not have found it patronising. I found the program's message to be sensitively delivered. I particularly like the way Jennie Brockie (host) conducts herself and felt that I really learned something from that segment.

Again, I see the message isn't being heeded in here because people tend to jump on the "no" aspect rather than really looking at why. I point out that of the children featured in the show were some whose mothers had drunk "1-2 glasses of wine a day", another had "hidden drinking" which suggested a lot more and one who was, in her own words "a p.iss tank". (Despite this comparison, it was clearly pointed out by a professor studying the effects of alcohol in pregnancy that number of units do not reliably indicate the level of toxicity in the woman due to genetics, fat composition and genetics etc so again, it wasn't a slapfest for those who drank but rather a very vivid evidence based assertion that no alcohol is truly safe). I also point out that the program didn't say "never drink at all and if you do you are a bad mum". On the contrary, it was all about what alcohol does, how it's long been proven toxic to the brain, that is has been proven to cause damage more than other drugs and just laid all that information on the table. (Also, in terms of the valley project that was discussed in terms of reporting, blood alcohol levels were also taken from participants which showed a clear and consistent intake so it wasn't guessing as such). All up, if this is patronising then I feel a glance at the dictionary is in order.

I understand there will always be people who just don't want to know, who will justify, accuse, get around it, whatever. And as other posters have highlighted, that previous assertions about alcohol/drug use while pregnant on BubHub have been flat out wrong and often this is not something that people want to acknowledge. Ultimately, the question should always be ''what is right for my child" rather than "what is right for me?" But the latter isn't likely to happen because people are far too focussed on their rights than those of their child. I'm sorry if that smacks you in the face but it's what I see all the time...not just in here but at my antenatal clinic and mothers' groups etc. So I can see why the message isn't getting to the people that need to hear it. They won't listen.

Thank you OP for recommending this program. It was time well spent.
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 17-10-2013 at 14:04.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (17-10-2013),Joeee  (26-10-2013),Radio  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    As far as I can tell there is no new evidence that light drinking is harmful to baby, apparently the change in advice is mostly because women are presumed to be too stupid to to understand that a unit or 2 once or twice a week (the old advice) is ok but binge drinking can have devastating affects.
    Totally agree with this. They need to cater advice to the lowest common denominator.

Many women read studies and don't understand the difference between correlation and causation. But hey, why let a bit of scientific evidence (it lack thereof) get in the way of a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And this was directly and carefully refuted by the professor (sorry, cannot remember her name!) on the program. Again, learned woman of some standing who knew her stuff and provided the evidence to back her claims.

Again, it helps to have watched the program rather than comment on it with absolutely no information regarding it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

Izy  (17-10-2013),Radio  (17-10-2013)