Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    bump looks interesting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for linking this, it was very interesting (and sad ).
    I've seen posters around for years saying alcohol during pregnancy isn't safe (community health centers, even at a pub I used to go to in my younger days). So I've always known it wasn't a good thing, I can't believe people arn't aware of the risks Didn't most people learn that in the life education van? (Gosh I miss Harold lol ).

I know a lot of people say one every now and than is safe, my problem with that is not many people put a standard serving of alcohol in a glass (it can work out to two or three servings very easily, and still look like a small glass). I also just don't think it's worth the risk, seeing and hearing people with fasd really drives that home for me (I'm not judging here, just so sad for these kids).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't watched this show but I personally find this new zero alcohol advice a bit patronising. Emily oster has written an interesting book looking at actual evidence and I've personally read quite a few studies. As far as I can tell there is no new evidence that light drinking is harmful to baby, apparently the change in advice is mostly because women are presumed to be too stupid to to understand that a unit or 2 once or twice a week (the old advice) is ok but binge drinking can have devastating affects. The thing that really concerns me is that women who find the odd glass of wine to be a pleasurable way to relax are getting stressed out that they could be putting their unborn at risk. I read a fab book in my first pregnancy about brain development and the scientist writing believed the stress of worrying about that glass of wine is probably more harmful than the wine. If you are the kind of person who cannot stop at one small glass then zero is probably good advice, but if you are not a heavy drinker and want to continue having the odd glass of wine I personally don't believe you should be demonised as I've yet to read any convincing evidence that this causes harm. There's even a recent study that found children of women who drank lightly in pregnancy had better scores on behavioural tests! You couldn't force me to drink wine or any alcohol now while I've go morning sickness but I plan to have the odd glass without guilt when I feel better. Sorry if this offends people. I'm absolutely not advocating free for all alcohol in pregnancy, just that we should base advice on evidence. Heavy/ binge drinking has been proven to cause fetal alcohol syndrome but not light/occasional.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-10-2013),CandE  (17-10-2013),Izy  (16-10-2013),kw123  (17-10-2013),risfaerie  (16-10-2013),River  (16-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (16-10-2013),Wheaty  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't want to sound too judgmental, but I don't know how some mothers can choose their desire to have a drink or two over the health of their unborn child?

I would regularly have a glass of wine or two with dinner several nights a week, and whilst I wasn't out getting hammered every weekend I certainly did enjoy a night out drinking cocktails with my friends - but as soon as I had my IVF transfer and had the potential of a life growing inside me, I stopped.

Yes, I would still like to have a drink every now and then, but my belly baby takes priority and I will have plenty of time once he/she is safely earthside to enjoy a glass of wine. My sister had a couple of drinks occasionally throughout her 4 pregnancies and all the kids are fine, but personally I'm not willing to risk something so precious.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-10-2013),CassJ  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem with studies in this area are that they are based on reported alcohol consumption rather than any objective measure. Obviously you can't experiment on pregnant women so there isn't really a way to give an amount of alcohol you can say is safe. As was pointed out on the show, it will vary from person to person anyway due to a number of factors. Is it really worth potentially affecting your child's behaviour, IQ and relationships to have a few drinks? It is only nine months.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackdomino1 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-10-2013),MissMuppet  (16-10-2013),risfaerie  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got married whilst I was pregnant with my first baby. My husband asked the OB (high risk doctor who ran a clinic at Melbournes largest hospital for drug and alcohol affected babies) if I could safely have a sip of champagne during toasts. He said he has never heard of foetal damage from 1-2 drinks over an entire pregnancy- the babies and mothers he worked with drank/took drugs to excess for the entire pregnancy and 1 sip or a few sips of champagne during toasts would not harm our baby. He said the issue with saying you could have 1-2 drinks was some people's version of 1-2 drinks was very varied so to one mother a sip of champagne during toasts was just that to another saying ok have 1 drink ends in a binge session and vomitting in a gutter.
    In a bub hub due in group I was in I stated I could not see how pregnant mothers could smoke or drink and was howled down by the majority stating smoking was an addiction as was alcohol and it was more dangerous for these women who smoked or drank daily to stop. Each to their own- I know I couldn't live with myself if something was wrong with my child hence why I don't drink, smoke and I stop the majority of my prescription medications during pregnancy and just deal with the consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched it last night - it's was about teenagers/young adults living with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome, there were discussions with their foster parents and one mother (who's now teen was in foster care)

It was extremely interesting to hear from the child's point of view - what they struggle with and why. What they need in regards to support and what areas are actually lacking in care and services as it's not a recognised disability; rather an impairment. Not all children who have FAS show the physical signs - most noticeably in their face - but still suffer with cognitive and behavioural problems.

The point of view of the doctor was not too surprising - it's difficult to diagnose as drinking while pregnant isn't something the dr. Or the patient are comfortable discussing openly and honestly....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All of the affected children had mothers who drank quite a bit in their pregnancies too....Not a drink or two.

I found it quite confronting tho and made me think twice about whether id be able to have a drink during this pregnancy....even tho i know a couple wont do any harm.

As is everything in pregnancy now. Theres alot of scare mongering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS's were 06 & 08 babies with the recommendation one or two was ok. So as for the argument why is it not sinking in?? Well no alcohol at all has not always been the recommendation. In saying that I have had one or two during this pregnancy, but no where the amount I had during the first 2. I would have one drink just about every night with the first, well not that much but if I felt like one I did.

I have worked with FASD kids and it was not until I did that I become aware of the problem (these pregnancies were excessive alcohol use....a cask or carton a day). Each case to its own though and my 2 sons are extremely bright, the eldest is in extension classes and the youngest looking like he will follow suit. They show no signs of being on FASD spectrum.

It was a great show thou, they had it repeated on tv today. I think if it brings awareness to the community it will help these kids so much. For some it may change the way of thinking, for those drinking casks and cartons during pregnancy, they wouldn't have been watching anyways.

One thing I do worry about is those that don't show signs, children from mothers in higher classes. They won't be diagnosed. The parents will come across as they should have known etc so it wouldn't be due to alcohol consumption. It is another condition that one step at a time will become more formerly known and treated though.

When one of the foster carer's said they tried to have an information night at the school and none of the teachers showed up, that is just wrong. Turning a blind eye is not going to help these kids. 'Professionals' like teachers and health workers who refuse to learn really drive me mad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I certainly agree that the safest and best is Zero alcohol. However I truly don't see the risk for a few glasses of wine, spaced out over pregnancy. There are risks in EVERYTHING, and I may be impacted by losses, but I have a 'what-will-be-will-be' attitude now.

Following all the advices to the letter certainly didn't help them, so I changed to moderation and calculated risk. Certainly not about to go get drunk if I'm ever in a situation to be pregnant again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

kw123  (17-10-2013)