+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Failure To Thrive & Hypotonia

So my DD who is 14 months old 7.7kg has just been dignosed with FTT & Hypotonia. She had a range of blood tests & waiting for results hopefully get them over the next couple days.

I am wondering has anyone else had this before & their child has put on weight or has/can the hypotonia be fixed ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had both and is now doing really well at 2.5.

For his tone, I incorporated lots of therapy into his play. He was late with all his motor milestones, but made gains pretty fast by 18-20 months.

With regards to ftt, DS had a severe feeding aversion which again involved loads of therapy. It has been an incredibly long and tough road, but he's now in the average range for weight and is really healthy. Is there anything linked to your little one's ftt?

You linked in with any therapy services?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She was born with IGUR & is lactose intolerant both of them could be a reason or something else but we won't know until we get her blood test back. We do have muscular dystopthy in our family so I am really hoping it is not that

I am just so confused with it all if its her future is going to be better or not if you get what I mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi cool cookies!! We've chatted on the other thread.
    My dd has hypotonia,
    And is very very small. She has a diagnosed genetic syndrome that has caused these issues (amongst other things)
    She's also had major feeding aversions and has been tube fed but not for long periods.
    We linked in with disabilities qld.. have you got services that can help you? I do lots of physio and feeding therapy. They have made the world of difference. She's definitely improved in her overall strength.
    Maybe your paed can help you with some support? Whereabouts are you? If you're in qld might be able to give you some ideas of how to get support. ??
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of hugs hun. It's an awful time waiting for results.

DS was the same. I agree with Tamtam... The sooner you can get into therapy the better. I'm a therapist so am happy to help with ideas until you get in to see someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The more I look back & remember what she was like as a newborn & look at photos of her I think she has had hypotonia since she was born but we didnt know or take much notice.

I remember when we used to grab her arms to pull her up her head use to get left behind like she couldn't pull her head up aswell.

What does it mean if she has had this since birth, but drs are only listening to me now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cookies View Post
    The more I look back & remember what she was like as a newborn & look at photos of her I think she has had hypotonia since she was born but we didnt know or take much notice.

I remember when we used to grab her arms to pull her up her head use to get left behind like she couldn't pull her head up aswell.

What does it mean if she has had this since birth, but drs are only listening to me now?
    Honestly. ..I don't think it means anything but I'm not a health professional.
    My dd was born with it. We only only started therapy a few months into it and I've been lucky in the sense that we had the diagnosis. . but I really had to fight to get her into disabilities qld to access therapy.
    Don't stress... If there is low muscle tone there isn't much you can do in terms of making it better. .. but you can work on things to help build strength. .. and she will meet milestones in her own time.
    You could talk to someone. . Probably your dr about different programs. ..like Better Start.. but in saying that you need a diagnosis which I know you are struggling with getting answers.
    If you're willing to pay you could find a physio who will see children in your area. .you don't need a referral for that. Keep doing what you're doing! Hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are definitely things you can do to improve it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but would get some professional advice / ideas on what you could be doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will she be like this forever now like with the hypotonia?
    Is it classed as a special need?

I am so confused & hating myself right now because I got the days confused when the dr will be in local office again & won't be until next week so we prob will not get the results now until next week

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had very low tone but now does really well in terms of motor skills. Looking how mum describes me as a baby, I think I definitely had low tone too. Apart from very delayed milestones, I'm absolutely fine.

Have you been referred to a child development centre?