+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nursing strike for bedtime routine....help!

This is the first time I've come across this and I really don't know what to do! My 7 month has recently had croup and an ear infection, therefore for about a week has not wanted to feed much at all. He seems to be on the mend, although his ear is still a little sore (as advised by GP), and seems to be back to his usual wonderful feeding self during the day. However, he continues to refuse to feed at night for his bedtime feed. He should be hungry, he has never had an issue with this, and now I hate the thought that he's going to bed hungry . The bedtime feed has also been an important part of his bedtime routine to help him go to sleep - we've had trouble with his sleep and have worked hard to get this routine to work so well, up until now! Could he be refusing the bedtime feed because of his ear still, although he feeds well during the day now, and I do give him pain relief for night time. Will he eventually go back to his bedtime feed? Or is he connecting that feed with pain (unfortunately due to misdiagnosis it took a few days to work out it was his ear - poor little boy) and therefore refusing because he is scared it will hurt! Has anyone had this particular issue with their baby refusing the night time feed? If so what did you do and how did it resolve? I have contacted ABA for advise on nursing strikes and they have reassured me, but I'm worried that he will continue to refuse this particular important feed and have no idea what to do. Do babies self-wean particular feeds, such as the bedtime one??? Oh goodness! (ps sorry I can't use my enter key!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not bfing... but my bottle fed dd started refusing her nighttime bottle at around the same age. Our night routine was bath, story, bottle, bed.
    It used to be the bottle she would always gobble and promptly fall asleep.
    So I switched the routine. .. don't know if this is possible for you. .
    I do bath then bottle, read a story, then offer the bottle again then pop her in the cot.
    Quite often she will roll around and talk to herself. .. so after 5-10 minutes I go back in and she gobbles the rest of the bottle of she refused it before.
    It's probably not ideal but it's working for me.

So yeah. . don't know if this will work for breastfeeding but sounded like a similar situation to me.
    Hopefully someone who is breastfeeding might have a suggestion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Tamtam; 14-10-2013 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! Thank you! Tam tam! I will try to shake things up a bit and see. You give me hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with perhaps trying to change the night time routine a little. 6mo DS2 was recently sick and refusing his feeds before all sleeps (I bf to sleep for day & night), so I just rocked to sleep and now he is better he is back to feeding to sleep. It's hard to say why your LO is refusing his night feed, but I would just go with it for the moment, you may find he'll go back to it, or he may settle into a slightly different routine. All the best