+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Breast Cancer - suggestions and ideas

Hi all, I'm more after some suggestions and advice. My MIL has just been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is booked in to have a mastectomy in the next few weeks. I would like some ideas of some practical things DH and I could offer to do to help her out/keep her occupied during her recovery. We live half an hour away and both work full time so it's unrealistic to be over there a lot, and I'm loathe to suggest housework etc because basically MILs way is the only way to do things. So far all I can come up with is to offer to pick up BIL from school and drop him home. DH is able to work from home so can work around school pick up even though school and home aren't really that close to us. I'm happy to cook meals but I don't know what I could do apart from lasagne/spaghetti bolognaise haha. (They also have another hungry teenage boy living with them currently so I'm not sure I could provide enough food!) I was also thinking we could buy some DVDs for her to watch. Can anyone else help me out with ideas or suggestions? What helped you? What did you do to help others?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would ask her if there's anything she wants/needs. My MIL had had a few surgeries of late, including partial mastectomy for breast cancer and radiotherapy. She honestly hasn't needed anything apart from some good company and understanding.

Bext of luck to her, I'm hoping for a speedy recovery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe get some books, magazines and crosswords / puzzle books for her to do when she's just laying around in the days following the surgery. If you hubby can be flexible with his hours, he could offer to drive her to dr's check ups post surgery.

I hope the surgery goes well and she recovers quickly :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone. She's pretty optimistic that the mastectomy will be all she needs, but if there are any cancer cells in the lymph nodes when they take them out there's likelihood of radiotherapy/chemo. At the moment she's trying to be lighthearted about it - ie trying to decide if she wants to stay the same size or go bigger but I know she's pretty shaken up inside. We don't want to step on her toes or anything but at the same time want her to know we can help out where we can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely go with asking her what would be helpful, and otherwise just being there for her.

My MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer just over a year ago. She had a couple of surgeries, and has since been through chemo and radiotherapy.

For her, she suffered a lot with nausea etc. during the chemo and radiotherapy. Helpful things were similar to what might be good for someone with severe nausea & vomiting during pregnancy... finding out what foods they can stomach and preparing them, helping with housework and other responsibilities, doign as much as possible to let her rest.

Another thing with my MIL was that she has a lot of trouble with losing her perceived femininity, so it's been a big deal to her to wear nice clothes & makeup etc.

Obviously everyone's different. You'll get the best ideas by asking her and her family.

All the best!