+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning 9 month old

Looking for advice for my nearly 9month old DS.
    I'm wanting to mix feed (bf morning and night, then any day feed with formula). Reason being mainly is I'm sick of bf'ing in public with a nosey baby (can't only bf at home as DD has activities daily so I'm always out). He sucks until just before letdown then comes off and I spray literally everywhere (last week I got a ladies skirt on the train....today I got my own coffee)!
    I've tried easing him into it by giving formula every 2nd feed but he'll not take more than 80-100ml. He is a chunky monkey and loves his boob but my supply doesn't seem to be decreasing like I hoped it would.

I went cold turkey with my DD and got mastitis so trying to avoid that this time.

Sorry for rambling, just looking for advice on whether i should wean totally. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. Maybe start by replacing a late avo one or a mid morning one. Gently weaning him over a period of time. You would have a massive supply, so take it very slow!
    Then slowly work your way to replacing every 2nd bf during the day. Dont stimulate you nipples (checking to see if milk is still coming out - you will just keep producing it!)
    Formula may interfer with your morning and night feed though. He will feel fuller from the formula feeds during the day, so may not take as much from the bf. Formula is quite heavy and dense, takes longer to digest than breast milk. See how you go though.
    He may become constipated, just get him drinking plenty water, offer some purnes - they are excellent relief from constipation and so healthy.
    He wont take much fromula at all in the beginning - his stomach needs to stretch. He will also feel quite full very quickly. This is normal. Just go with him, make up minimum amount and just keep toping up 1 scoop at a time (for minimal waste), if he wants more.
    Is he ok taking to a bottle?
    Has he had formula before?
    Is he eating much? You might find just the 1 bottle of formula during the day will be all he needs at this age.
    If you want to wean totally and you feel that's whats best for both of you. Then go ahead. You have done so amazingly well to nourish him for 9 months!
    Goodluck, take care of yourself. Remeber it will take time to loose your supply. i have heard tabuli (parsley) will help decrease supply but you still want morning and night supply, so i'd avoid that!
    Last edited by Beefie; 15-10-2013 at 12:36.