+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    HugsBunny - I wasn't trying to be a master if it. It's just what I do. Like I said a get a kick out of budget and saving ... Much like I used to out of shopping when I was married funnily enough ! Jakarta
    I know you weren't trying to be anything hun you're just you, and I personally think YOU are awesome in ALL aspects, not just budgeting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Jakarta = hahaha!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (15-10-2013),dancingchipmunk  (14-10-2013),HugsBunny  (14-10-2013),rainbow road  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    So finally got into centre link today to find out I'm eligible for a whopping 600 p/wk. our rent is 320!!! We need at least 100 for bills, there's not even enough left for the groceries & petrol! Wahhhhh wtf? How do you single mummies do it?
    I went back to work full time. My mortgage is well over $400 per week so the SPP just isn't enough. If I had the choice I'd work part time around school hours, but unfortunately it's not enough and no amount if budgeting would help in my case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    I know you weren't trying to be anything hun you're just you, and I personally think YOU are awesome in ALL aspects, not just budgeting
    I'm not sure why you think that way but thank you. What a lovely thing to say

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Done ladies.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Can I please have the link too @Miados2007 ??

Fitchick, you can do it there's so many wonderful tips and tricks out there to help you get by. Definitely talk to everyone about your pension card, there should be reduced fees for a number of things with that or a health care card. Like energy rebates of around $50 a bill, reduced rego etc. As for food etc. Budget, meal plan, buy in bulk. I learned to get very creative and not waste anything when cooking on a budget. Like if you make something and have left over of an ingredient, you can use the left overs to make a whole different other meal etc

I know it must seem daunting right now, but you can do it, I know you can.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 14-10-2013 at 22:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and when shopping regardless of something being in special check the $$ per kg, $$ per litre, $$ per ea etc. I find a lot of the time stuff on special can still be more then other options.

Also check out the $$ per etc and the servings or uses per item. Like washing liquid etc, sometimes it's better to buy the higher priced stuff because it's cheaper in the long run versus buying cheaper stuff that you need triple the amount per washing load.

It seems like a real pain in the butt to do. But once you do it often enough it becomes habit and you learn what the values are of items and where you can save $$ etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (15-10-2013),TimeForWine  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and one more, don't be afraid to talk to companies if you get behind on a bill or need an extension etc. Many businesses are more then happy to work with you too if you are struggling. They can offer extensions or payment options and sometimes reduce the bill etc.

With electricity have an auto payment plan. I just pay x amount per fortnight to the electricity company and when my bill comes in its automatically paid for because the money is there.

Sorry for the novel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    FITCHICK, I hope you don't think I'm being rude, however I really think that if you do end up divorcing that you should get a property settlement with your ex.

You and your child need to be supported.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-10-2013),HugsBunny  (15-10-2013),MilkingMaid  (15-10-2013),Mummy Potato  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a couple more. If I see good things heavily discounted I'll buy them & put them up the top of the cupboard for presents. I just bought three packs of cool Lego figurines which are normally $25 each reduced down to $4 dollars. One for DS1 and the other two for the next parties he gets invited to (which happens often as he started prep this year). He also comes home with more paintings than I can count from school so I pop them in a box and we stick them together to use as wrapping paper for presents. Makes his own cards too with stuff from the craft box.

I also ask my family to buy the boys clothes & shoes in the next size up for birthdays & Christmas. My boys love getting funky threads and it saves me money. They still get toys from my step side of the family anyway.

Once Ds2 grows out of them (he uses DS1s hand me downs as well) I sell a plastic bag full of them for $10 each. The buyer thinks it's a bargain and I get a bit of cash for stuff I used to just take to the local over crammed vinnies!!

I also do the same with toys they outgrow.

Anytime anyone offers fruit (we have a few farmers at work with excess stock) I'll always grab some and cook with it as sometimes it's not the best looking fruit but still tastes delicious.

I buy bread on sale & freeze it as I live in a fairly warm place and it goes mouldy quickly. It's very easy to just grab out 2 pieces of bread at a time frozen and pop them straight in the toaster or defrost them in the bench as I'm getting other things ready.

I buy eggs also from one of the parents of a student I teach. Much cheaper than the shops and farm eggs too!!

I hope this is what you're after OP?? Otherwise I'm clogging your thread with the wrong stuff!!! :/

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (15-10-2013),TimeForWine  (15-10-2013),WiseOldOwl  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought of a couple
    If you have a front load washer buy the good detergent when it's on sale and only use half the amount the bottle says. It washes just as well and the bottle lasts twice as long. Also use white vinegar instead of softner, cheap and better for your machine.
    Before Christmas you can usually get the good AA and AAA batteries on sale in the bulk pack around 1/2 price, buy a couple of each and they last all year and no meltdowns from kids cause toys won't work.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (15-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast