+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Sounds wonderful!

He doesn't sit the test til March, for year 7 in 2015. Registration to sit the test opened today.

See this is one of my concerns. My boy is very bright naturally, but doesn't push himself AT ALL. Many of the kids that sit this test have been studying their whole lives (seriously) to get in, not just to this school, but to other selective schools in the surrounding areas. It's all the same test though. He is bright and is top of the class, his NAPLAN results were fantastic, but he isn't in the OC class (didn't want to apply ) so besides all the out of school tutoring that goes on, he isn't even in the OC where they start getting all that full on work.
    So I just worry that it will all be a rude shock for him.
    I actually went to OC too! and still had this experience. I'm sure it's not this way for everyone, I just think you have to really assess his personality to see if it will be a good fit and be prepared to change schools if it's really not working for him iykwim.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

CMF  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Yes I did. I liked my school until later years when I did feel a bit overwhelmed and honestly thought I was failing with my 75% even though I was ib the top English class. I had a lot going on outside of school so I think I put too much pressure on myself until I ended up doing just enough to pass.

I think with the right support it is great for kids to be in an environment where you fit in.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

CMF  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Could be the best thing for him?
    Yes I've thought this too actually! He needs some kind of kickstart. He used to be so passionate about learning and would pore over non-fiction books, read my uni text books before bed, he LOVED learning, ALL of the time. Then my XH left and DS was so sad that he wasn't in the mood to read. He didn't pick up a book for a month!! It took a bit of encouragement for him to get back into it all, and now he is again obsessed with reading but reads mostly novels. Anyway I may have gotten a bit off track there LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    and I get the impression ALL high schools are the same with homework anyway...
    Yes, good point!

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    Has he done any of the ICAS testing? The optional competitions?

Have you mentioned the application to him...has he been to the open days?

IMO they have to want it...if they don't...it could end in disaster.

If he didn't want the extra work of the OC, I would sit down and talk to him about why.

Maybe look into seeing an Educational Pysch and see what they recommend.
    He has done a couple of ICAS tests a couple of years ago, he went ok-ish in them but it was his first ever exams, and I didn't realise that all the mums do heaps of prep work with their kids for these exams! So he went into it pretty blind. This year and possibly last year, he conveniently didn't get the note, so he missed out.
    He went to the school's open day afew weeks ago and loved it soooo much, he really wants to go there. I told him he has to sit a test and he said that's ok. I told him that we will do a few practice tests to prepare for it and he said that's ok too.
    He didn't want to sit for the OC because his friends didn't.
    I have spoken to his teacher about him potentially going to the school and she has similar thoughts to me- she thinks the environment/peers would be amazing for him, but she says it's hard to tell if he would cope or not with being towards the middle or even bottom of the class. But she does say it's worth trying.
    And similarly I have spoken to his psych who says the same thing.

Oh well the choice is out of my hands anyway really. If he gets in, great. But if he decides he doesn't feel like sitting a test that day he won't try hard anyway. And he'll be up against a lot of highly tutored kids too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got a place but my parents (along with me) decided not to take it.

They wanted me to be in a Catholic school and they also wanted me to be in a local area so that friends would live close by. The merit select school was a lot further away from where we lived meaning long commute on public transport. Luckily our local catholic school was very big so had options to do extension subjects and extra curricular geek challenges.

I just wanted to go to the same school as my cool older sister and I also wanted to get an after school job as soon as I was old enough which I wouldn't have been able to do with the longer bus ride home.

Personality would have a lot to do with it. I was quite self-motivated when it came to study and was not fazed by being bullied for being smart. My group of friends had very mixed academic capabilities which I think is a healthy thing. (My bestie at the time left in year 10 to go to secretarial school!)

Having said all that, I would consider sending DS to one if he wanted to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I guess all selective schools are different in the amount of pressure, and kids are also different in what they expect of themselves. My school was well known for being "high pressure" and now there are lots of kids who are tutored to get in. It was expected that we would go to uni and also that we would do a fair bit of homework. About 15 kids moved to other schools by year 10.

This didn't bother me because I didn't take the expectations that seriously (although I did OC so was probably a bit prepared), but I know others experienced it more like Atropos described.

If he does want to go, maybe take him to visit the school beforehand and get a feel for it. Ultimately though, the amount of pressure he feels will depend on his expectations of himself and whether he can meet his own standards. Is he someone who puts a lot of pressure on himself? I get the sense that his temperament is a bit more "go with the flow" than that?

Also, if he's able to get in without coaching and too much extra effort, he may well be able to keep up without doing hours of extra study each night.

I know it's another year away, but hope you pick a school that works really well for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Ultimately though, the amount of pressure he feels will depend on his expectations of himself and whether he can meet his own standards. Is he someone who puts a lot of pressure on himself? I get the sense that his temperament is a bit more "go with the flow" than that?
    Yes I do think he is a 'go with the flow' type kid in terms of school, with most other things he can be very rigid and uptight but at school, nothing seems to phase him. But then again he doesn't express much emotion so it would be hard to tell if he is getting upset by it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    He sounds interesting. I guess lots of us worry more about things where we have less control or ability. If he is good at school, perhaps he can relax a bit more in that area, knowing he'll be fine.

I was also thinking about how he didn't want to do the OC test because his friends weren't. It has crossed my mind throughout this thread that he may need someone to push him a bit so that his talents aren't wasted. I don't mean loading him up with homework, but just challenging his thinking a bit so he thinks about the choices he makes and really uses school to set himself up for success in his life. If he is gifted, there will come a time where he will be able to make a big contribution to society. When that time comes, he will need to be brave enough to stand out from the crowd.

I hope that doesn't come across as rude or arrogant - I just mean that I hope he can be the bright little fellow that he is without fear of what others think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to a selective school and found it hard to adjust from being a top student in local school to being just middle of the pack in subjects like English and math.

Year 10 onwards I had lost a lot of motivation to do well. In hindsight I would have been better off in a local school.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app