Thanks
    Reviews

Default Old car seat

Hi there

I was given a car seat from my MIL because she didn't want to throw away a "perfectly good car seat" and let me buy a new one. I'm pretty sure it's like 10 years old - is it still okay to use? Like, would it still fit in legal guidelines and stuff like that? I just have no idea, and I don't wanna use something that isn't safe.

Thank you!

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are recommended to be replaced long before 10 years is up - also you dont know the crash history of the seat. I would be politely declining the seat and buying new x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't worry about what MIL says. Usually the seats have a use by date somewhere on them. Your child's safety is what is mostly important here. Get a new one and tell MIL that that's the way it is. Otherwise she will expect things to go her way all the time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

The other commenters are spot on : )

Here at CHOICE we recommend that when it comes to car seat safety new is always best, particularly is you don't know the full history of the seat, for example if it has been in a car crash. Even if you do car seat design is always improving and manufacturers generally advise not using a seat more than 6 - 10 years old.

We have a list of things that aren't best to have for baby secondhand here if you want to read further http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...cond-hand.aspx

Cheers Kate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to katebrowne For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-10-2013)