+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 month old won't eat solids

My 8 month old boy is completely uninterested in eating solids. He turns his head away when I try to spoon feed and if I persist he just cries. He's picks up finger food and bangs it on the table then pushes it off the table on to the floor. He just won't eat! I don't know what to do. We started when he was about 5 1/2 months and had a little bit of success but for the last month or so it's just been getting worse and every meal time I end up so frustrated and feeling like a failure.

Otherwise, he is such a happy little boy. He is crawling (since 6 months), pulling himself up and cruising along couches, benches and anything else he can find!

I've tried my own puréed fruit and vegies and meat and packet sachets too. No difference.

He breastfeeds 4 hourly during the day and once (sometimes twice) overnight.

Does anyone have any advice? I am feeling at such a loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little one didn't really take to solids until 10 months or so -- it just takes some kids longer. (We started trying to give it to him at 6 months).

If you're still happy breast feeding frequently, & your little one is happy, just run with it, keep offering food & eventually they'll show interest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He just may not be ready! I would ditch the purées and try Baby Led Weaning, just sit him in his high chair at the table with you and offer him whatever you are eating - ( also offer fruit as snacks or rice cakes etc as snacks during the day) put it on his tray and let him do with it what he wants - yes he may throw it but he's learning, he will start putting it to his mouth and then eat as much/little as he wants , as long as he is still drinking bm/formula don't stress and just keep offering - one day I promise he will start eating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Solids/food is as much about seeing/feeling/smelling as it is about tasting. My dd didn't actually start eating anything for months when I first started. Some babies take a while to accept the food. Because of a medical condition my dd has been in feeding therapy. We follow a system called SOS feeding. .sequential oral sensory it stands for. There are probably some excellent ideas if you Google it that might help you. My dd went from blatant refusal (similar to what you described) to now eating. Eating is also about trust between baby and adult so try to make the feeding a really positive experience and don't worry if he doesn't actually eat anything. He's obviously getting enough nutrients from bm. As long as bub is growing/wet nappies etc you can continue to let bub experience food. Here are some things you could try. .
    With purees spread it over the highchair tray and let bub get messy and if they take the food to their mouth for taste give lots of praise.
    No negative faces or anything. .. don't force the spoon feed. .. but allow bub to try. You could put food on your finger and see if bub will taste from your finger. Try things called 'hard munchables' (you can Google for a list. . but these are things like raw carrot sticks/salami sticks/celery... things bub can't actually bite but can suck for flavor and try themselves. Then you can try dipping in different flavors and purees.
    When you make some progress try things like potato stix or babymumum crackers. .. then add avocado etc to things like that.
    it's kind of a combination of puree and blw...
    My dd took a few months to start actually eating. . but we got there in the end. Some days are still a struggle.
    Just keep offering.. it gets messy. .. but you'll get there in the end.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the first 12 months food is an experience I've been told. Keep offering it to him and he'll get the hang of it when he's ready. I find with DD finger foods she just plays with but what I put in her mouth she'll eat. Also DD goes off food when she's teething. He possibly could be teething.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Same as PP - but he perhaps could be starting to teeth aswell? His gums may be sore? If he was eating and now isn't, this could be a factor.

My 7mth old has on/off days. Some he will devour everything, other days it's all on the floor!

Food before 1 is just for fun - that's the saying anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone. I'm just feeling so frazzled by it all at the moment. All the other babies in my mothers group are eating heaps and sleeping through the night and I feel like a failure of a mum!
    I'll try to be more patient and let him play and try at his own pace. Thanks for all the suggestions too - they're really helpful.
    He is teething too - has his bottom 2 and one of his top 2.
    At what age should I be worried if he's still not interested in food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are not a failure!! All babies accept food in their own way. Eating is not an instinct contrary to what many think. Babies must learn how to eat. .. which involves so many things not just chewing and swallowing. Keep doing what you're doing.
    In regards to what age... my pediatrician told me that if my dd wasn't showing much interest by 1 then we should do something. But I'm not sure if that's a general rule.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app