+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early riser

Our 9 month old wakes at 4.30am every day. He used to wake up at 6am and we would try to keep him in his cot until 7am. Lately he's been waking earlier and earlier. It started at 7 months when I stopped feeding him every time he woke at night. I now only give him one top up and he sleeps through after that - but the price seems to be early waking. At first it was 5.30am, then 5am, and now 4.30am! I still don't give him his morning breast feed until 7am and it doesn't seem to bother him, so I don't think it's hunger. We've tried soothing him back to sleep and leaving him alone to chat to himself hoping he'll fall back asleep, but neither has worked. Any ideas??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice but want to let you know your not alone... My son has been waking at 4.30-5 since he was about 10 months old.. He is now 19 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wait it out... I and many others I know went through this. It lasted a couple of months and now we get till around 6am. It sucks though I know. I think there is just a lot of brain activity happening!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 8.5 month old now is doing this (waking between 4-5) for a few weeks. I tried controlled crying (she just cried off/on to wake up time), black out blinds, changing bed time and delaying her first nap and edit: dropping her third nap (these just made her super overtired and cranky). Now I have just resorted to feeding her back to sleep, and we are both much happier having accepted this. She sometimes (maybe 1-2 times a week) sleeps through until 6 but I find she's waking crying and cranky as opposed to singing/playing in her cot.

It's funny because even with daylight savings its still the same time lol.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-10-2013 at 06:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can try these tips and see if they work
    http://www.sleepytot.com/baby-sleep/...y-waking-early
    Our babies are around the same age so maybe it's a developmental thing. I had stopped feeding her at night around 7 months of age too.

Edit: post back if anything works!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-10-2013 at 06:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I still bf my 10 month old if he wakes at that time - then he goes back to sleep and I get a few more hours in bed. He woke at 5.30 this morning, I fed him and he's still asleep at 8 am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ds used to be an early riser 5am its an awfully long day for us parents!
    he kept this up for a while, i just went with it and tried to keep him in the cot as long as possible before i got him up for a milk feed....5mins one week, 10mins next week and so on. Eventually his cires turned into grizzles then into noises i could ignore and go back to sleep to....(he would just keep quiet in cot untill an acceptable time of 7am but not go back to sleep though).

He is 9mths now and is last to wake up. Some mornings i have to go in at 8.30 and gently wake him. I think he must still wake early, but be ok about it now. Have a talk and play in the cot then fall back to sleep (i have a few toys and a mobile in there now). He just learnt to be happy in his cot and that nothing happens/no one comes in the early morning lol...i guess you could call that the 'lazy apporach'. I never forced him to go back to sleep when he woke but i also never went into him at grizzles or protests, only cries. Like you, i stuck to a morning milk feed routine.

im sure it's a phase and bub will eventually learn to sleep in a little longer, if you want him to hang in there.
    Last edited by Beefie; 14-10-2013 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your wonderful advice. We decided to treat his early waking exactly as we would a night wake. We don't go in to him unless he cries, and if we do need to go in, we try and settle him back to sleep. We've set an 'earliest acceptable' wake up time at 5.45am.

We've seen some improvement in that he doesn't cry out for attention now until 5.45am. Having said that, he still wakes up between 4.30am and 5am! Now he just chats to himself until 5.45am. It's a lovely sound so it's definitely an improvement, but unfortunately it still wakes us up!

Will persist and see how we go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry if this has already been looked at. But 5amish can be the coldest part of the day... Is the temperature of bubs room monitored? I use a thermostat controlled heater and gro-bags to keep bubs temperature/bedding consistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey vicpark so you have a heater that kicks in when it gets too cold? Can I ask what brand?
    I've been looking around but struggling to find one. I don't want to run a heater all the time, and When dd goes to bed it can be 23 in her room but drop to 17 around 4-5. Makes it super hard to dress her appropriately with the grobag for the whole night.