+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Right Upper Quadrant Pain causes?

Hi Ladies ,

I've started getting right upper quadrant pain. At this stage it's a dull ache below my ribs on the right side. It started at 25wks and comes & goes, it has increased in intensity this week.

I had HELLP syndrome during my last pregnancy and this was the first symptom I got. Same place, same presentation so far. According to the ob I had with ds I am at high risk of getting HELLP again so I freaked when this started at 25wks. I went into hospital & had blood and urine tests done, all came back normal so I was told I didn't have HELLP yet.

The ob mentioned it could be my gall bladder/gall stones, has anyone had this & if so what was the pain like?

Are there any other causes of right upper abdominal pain?

It has been ruled out that I do not have reflux/heartburn or an injury to the ribs.

There is no pain or discomfort on the left side or middle of my chest.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my gall bladder out about 2 months ago, the attack that led to it being removed was a pain in that area that lasted all day. Definitely get an ultrasound to see if that could be it!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've been told pain in that area can be linked to preeclampsia - might be worth getting checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HELLP/pre-eclampsia can cause upper right quadrant pain, as well as cholestasis.
    A blood/urine test can diagnose these.

Otherwise an ultrasound will check if there's any visible gall stones. An ultrasound is not the optimal way to diagnose gall stones but it's your only option in pregnancy. Perhaps get your white blood cells and lipase levels checked as well as these are often elevated with gall stones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive had really bad right upper quadrant pain for 11 weeks now.

I had cholestatsis with my first and they thought it might be this. But after endless blood tests and ultrasounds nearly every week, they dont know what it is. Only thing I have is a blocked kidney but the pain for that should be more on my side so its a mystery.
    Just spent the last hour with a heat pack there as it gets so bad. They think it will go away after birth so lets hope (im due this friday)

It could be the hellp though (might just take a bit to show up blood test) also liver or gallbladder problems, pre eclampsia. Or your just like me and its a random thing

But if nothing shows up on blood test I would ask fo ultrasound just to be sure, hope you have better luck tracking down the reason than I did

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies.

Just*Ace - Was the pain acute, sharp & stabbing or did it just start as a ache that increased in intensity?

Nicolier - that sucks that they can't find whats causing it. I've asked the ob to test for cholestatsis as well.

My symptoms of HELLP started before 30wks but I dismissed them at first as just pregnancy discomfort. By 30wks it was bugging me so I complained to my OB about it, I was misdiagnosed with reflux. No blood or urine tests were taken until routine bloods at 36wks, this was 2 days before christmas & the ob forgot to check the results. By that stage I had bad swelling in my legs, feet & hands which was dismissed by the ob as common late pregnancy symptoms. I went downhill quickly from there. By the night of the 28th the pain was so bad panadene forte didn't even take the edge off it & it hurt to breathe. I went into hospital that night & they did my first urine test of the pregnancy plus blood tests. Both tests came back bad & I was rushed in for an emergency c-section. Two days later I was told I had HELLP & my ob apologised for not picking it up sooner.

I didn't know until the start of this pregnancy when I read my notes that I also had pre-eclampsia. My doctors this time have said I didn't present normally with HELLP, which got me curious so I did some research. I had slow onset atypical HELLP.

I had blood tests taken this morning, urine dip came back normal. If the blood tests come back normal I'll be taken for an u/s. Not sure when though as the ob was saying they'd do it at my next growth scan but that's in 5wks.

Right now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. If this is HELLP I just hope it follows the pattern as last time & bubs gets to cook a lot longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pain got worse overnight so I ended up at the hospital this morning. They re-took bloods & urine tests and both came back normal. I then had another growth scan & they scanned all the organs on both sides. The scans showed everything was normal & bubs has grown since my growth scan on the 8th Oct.

So I've been discharged with them ruling out gall stones, fatty liver, cholestatis & kidney problems. No HELLP yet but it is now looking likely that HELLP is the cause of the pain.

Monitoring is staying the same unless the pain intensifies again or another symptom appears then it's back into hospital. I just hope if it is HELLP or pre-e it stays away till at least 34wks.