+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Summa, do you know why they don't like to do it before 39wk?
    http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Pu...ternal_Request

The risk of respiratory morbidity, including transient tachypnea of the newborn, respiratory distress syndrome, and persistent pulmonary hypertension, is higher for elective cesarean delivery compared with vaginal delivery when delivery is earlier than 39–40 weeks of gestation (7, 8). The literature on elective cesarean delivery without labor also shows an increased rate of complications related to prematurity, including respiratory symptoms, other neonatal adaptation problems such as hypothermia and hypoglycemia, and neonatal intensive care unit admissions, for infants delivered by cesarean delivery before 39 weeks of gestation (2). Because of these potential complications, cesarean delivery on maternal request should not be performed before a gestational age of 39 weeks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Can I ask more experienced hubbers....
    I have to have a c-section (large, breech with subseptate uterus) and obs wants to book it in for 39 weeks.
    Due to the reasons I have to have a c-section there is also a good chance I could go into labour earlier than 40w.
    DH wants to have section at 38w in order to avoid early labour and potential infant distress.....
    Is there any reason why I can't have him/her at 38w?
    How is having a caesar at 38 weeks as opposed to 39 weeks going to prevent labour? Still a chance you could go into labour before then.

If start getting pains or niggles or contractions and your waters break then you go to hospital, they monitor the fetal heart and send you for an emergency caesar as soon as possible.

Even though you're booked for a certain date, you need to keep in the back of your mind that things could happen before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Babies are best to come out after 39 weeks. Its not a bad thing if your body goes into labour before C-section anyway as the hormones and things actually prepare the baby for being born (as long as it's not a really fast labour and you can't make it to the hospital in time for the c - section).
    I know in the hospital I'm booked into they have extra middies on so bub can stay with you in recovery etc but if it's an emergency ceaser (ie went into labour before booked ceaser) then bub has to go down to the nursery while you are in recovery. For this reason alone I would prefer a bikes ceaser to an 'emergency' one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was booked in for 39+6 and I didn't go into labour before then. I was worried I would though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm booked in for a CS, my ob said not before 39 weeks. I trust his advice 100%. I'm actually booked in for 39+5 as I want to be as close to my due date as possible, as that's when I know bubs is cooked. It's an IVF pregnancy so my dates are exact.

I was speaking to a midwife friend who said it was the latest thing that they don't like to do them before 39 weeks now unless there's a medical reason. If you have placenta prevaria (spelling??) it can be dangerous to go into labour so they would do it at 38 weeks. But a large breach bubba would not be at risk in natural labour, you would just have trouble birthing him naturally.

A friend had her CS at 38 weeks and her bubba had breathing trouble and had to go to special care. She hated it and had her next two CSs after 39 weeks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my waters break at 36.2 and bubs was fine. he was only in special care unit for severe jaundice but other than blood sugar, his breathing was fine. the pead was very impressed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My c-section was booked for 39 weeks and when DS was actually born the docs and midwives took one look at him and all said that he looked more like a 37 weeker than 39. Luckily for us he was fine and had no difficulties breathing or feeding but there is a huge difference between those last few weeks. My hospital don't even deliver babies there before 37 weeks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jl81 View Post

In response to your original post, I guess what I would want to know is: what happens if I go into labour naturally? (ie before scheduled c/s). Unless you have a lightening fast labour, their should be heaps of time to prepare you for an "emergency" c/s. It reads to me that the concern is actually going to be birthing your baby and not the labour itself, but of course you need to confirm this with your dr.
    All I'd ever wanted was a natural delivery from the get go but I've been told that big breech posterior babies aren't the best to push out!
    Personally I'm not concerned about the pain to myself but more about baby becoming distressed if labour comes before planned c-section.
    I suppose given the current factors a lighting quick delivery is not likely.
    It's just that my 'second opinion' has told
    me there is a good chance I'll go early and I've wrapped my head around a c so now I wanna ensure bubs is fine.
    I have read a few studies and some say there is a slight increase between 38 and 39 weeks in respiratory problems but others I have read have said it makes little difference.
    I will discuss with obs as to plan if labour arrives sooner....
    Thanks for your feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    My obs policy was after 39weeks, but ended up bringing it forward to 38+3 due to my anxiety.
    Mum2EandR, did your bub have any respiratory or suck/swallow issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read that one earlier, thanks for the info