+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Thanks
    589
    Thanked
    687
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mines booked for 38 weeks I think it just depends on ob preference size of bub and any health issues. My bubs measuring small and I have gd but elective was booked before we knew size of bub anyway.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you're going to have a caesarean regardless, I would personally be going with what your doctor recommends, rather than what your partner wants. Discuss his concerns with your doctor and figure out what will happen in case this problem arises.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    River Song  (14-10-2013),VicPark  (15-10-2013)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    1,741
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    If you're going to have a caesarean regardless, I would personally be going with what your doctor recommends, rather than what your partner wants. Discuss his concerns with your doctor and figure out what will happen in case this problem arises.
    Generally Sassymummy I'd agree but I don't really hold much professional respect for my obs and his knowledge or bedside manner (I'm a healthcare worker as well). For an example he tried to tell me there is no scientific evidence to prove that delayed cord clamping does anything.
    However I will discuss it with him and see what he says.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (13-10-2013)

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Generally Sassymummy I'd agree but I don't really hold much professional respect for my obs and his knowledge or bedside manner (I'm a healthcare worker as well). For an example he tried to tell me there is no scientific evidence to prove that delayed cord clamping does anything.
    However I will discuss it with him and see what he says.
    How come he's your OB then? I wouldn't want to put my uterus and baby in the hands of someone I felt incompetent! Eek!

    If you're a healthcare worker though... which do YOU think is best? Personally, I think leaving it for as long as possible is better...

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    GlitterFarts  (13-10-2013),Miados2007  (13-10-2013),Nmgb  (14-10-2013)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    1,741
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He was recommended to me and this being my first bub I didn't know any better. He may be a good surgeon but his bedside manner and personality leaves a lot to be desired.
    The more I see him, the less I like him.
    I won't be using him for the next one.
    Im getting more options from other doctors before I make a decision.
    So far from all the studies I read I'm not really sure a week will make too much difference.
    It's not like I'm looking to have bub at 28wks!

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    56
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Can I ask more experienced hubbers....
    I have to have a c-section (large, breech with subseptate uterus) and obs wants to book it in for 39 weeks.
    Due to the reasons I have to have a c-section there is also a good chance I could go into labour earlier than 40w.
    DH wants to have section at 38w in order to avoid early labour and potential infant distress.....
    Is there any reason why I can't have him/her at 38w?
    With this bub I'm going public (went private with DS) & have to see who ever the ob is on duty. The first ob I saw said they do not do c-sections before 39wks even though my Orthopaedic specialist has said I am not to labour (bubs is also breech). The last 3 times I've seen a different ob who is a lot more understanding & has said that he will do a c-section at 38wks but only if bubs lungs have fully developed, she's at a good weight & has developed normally. If all 3 of these things are met I will be booked at 38w+ 4, he has said no earlier unless it's an emergency.

    The reasons I was given as to why they won't do a c-section before 39wks are lungs may not be developed fully, suck reflex may not be developed, under weight, higher chance of needing to go into NICU or SCN.

    With my ob I told him all my concerns & we went through the risk factors to bubs if we were to do the c-section at 38w as opposed to 39w. Maybe book an appointment with your ob and go through your's & your partners concerns. If the ob refuses to bring your c-section forward see if you can come up with an action plan so you both know exactly what to do if you go into labour & also the process on what will happen at the hospital.

    ETA: My ob with DS refused to do c-sections before 39wks as well. I was booked for a elective c-section at 39w + 2 but ended up having an emergency c-section at 37w + 0 due to developing HELLP syndrome.
    Last edited by babybump08; 13-10-2013 at 17:00.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (13-10-2013),SpecialK  (13-10-2013)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    652
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Can I ask more experienced hubbers....
    I have to have a c-section (large, breech with subseptate uterus) and obs wants to book it in for 39 weeks.
    Due to the reasons I have to have a c-section there is also a good chance I could go into labour earlier than 40w.
    DH wants to have section at 38w in order to avoid early labour and potential infant distress.....
    Is there any reason why I can't have him/her at 38w?
    Babies are best to come out after 39 weeks. Its not a bad thing if your body goes into labour before C-section anyway as the hormones and things actually prepare the baby for being born (as long as it's not a really fast labour and you can't make it to the hospital in time for the c - section).

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (13-10-2013),SpecialK  (13-10-2013)

  13. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked
    220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had dd1 at 38w2d via elective csection (no medical reason). This was private.

    I asked to halve dd2 at the same stage but the public hospital said I had to wait until 39w. They followed the findings of some study stating babies born at 38w were more likely to need breathing assistance.

    Guess it depends on the hospital and ob's policy!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

    SpecialK  (13-10-2013)

  15. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    66
    Reviews
    0
    Bubbles, in response to: So far from all the studies I read I'm not really sure a week will make too much difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post
    The reasons I was given as to why they won't do a c-section before 39wks are lungs may not be developed fully, suck reflex may not be developed, under weight, higher chance of needing to go into NICU or SCN.
    This was the info we were given too. Unfortunately for us we're actually booked in at 36w4d because the risk is just too large, but I'd give anything to keep her in for longer. Unfortunately there's no way to know if she's going to have breathing problems or if her suck reflex will be developed but its a chance we have to take.

    In response to your original post, I guess what I would want to know is: what happens if I go into labour naturally? (ie before scheduled c/s). Unless you have a lightening fast labour, their should be heaps of time to prepare you for an "emergency" c/s. It reads to me that the concern is actually going to be birthing your baby and not the labour itself, but of course you need to confirm this with your dr.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jl81 For This Useful Post:

    SpecialK  (14-10-2013)

  17. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,089
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    429
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My obs policy was after 39weeks, but ended up bringing it forward to 38+3 due to my anxiety.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

    SpecialK  (14-10-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. elective c section q...
    By babyla in forum Caesareans
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 20:14
  2. To the elective C section Mummas :)
    By cassieh in forum Caesareans
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-06-2013, 14:14
  3. Why did you have your elective c-section?
    By Grebbeci in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 26-01-2013, 06:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!