+ Reply to Thread
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Baby's first time at the beach

What age and How did they react?

Dd is 10 months anddd she lost her **** so bad for 20+ mins so we had to leave.

We got there (it was a rockpool not a huge beach and it was low tide, no waves or anything) and she started shaking, i held her tightly and took her and boys to the shore line. She watched them splash in and she squeeled and looked relatively happy.

I knelt down with her and let her feet touch the wet sand ( wasnt submerged in water ) she started screaming hysterically. So i stood back up and held her tight and reassured her it was ok. She kept crying and crying this really awful scared cry and was trembling. so i took her to our sun tent and sat with her. Then every single little thing would set her off. The wind shook to tent a little cue meltdown, the boys brought a little pail of water up and she was scared of it trying to crawl over my shoulder to get away from it. I sat her on the towel in the tent and she touched a little pile of sand from the boys feet and then got hysterical again... This really awful terrified cry.

Does this sound normal?

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Aww poor litter thing. Perhaps it was just too overwhelming for her?

DS1 had his first beach experience at around 7 months old when we went on holiday up north. He was a little overwhelmed at first and wouldn't let me put him down but he soon got into it and ate some sand and had a paddle. He has been having swimming lessons for a month or two before this so was used to the water so not sure if that helped?!

DS2 we just took for his first beach experience recently (just shy of 5 months). Let him sit on the sand and paddle his legs. He was very excited. He did get a bit upset after about 15-20 minutes (not sure if it was just too much or if he was tired) so spent the rest of the time having a cuddle sitting with our stuff while DS1 had a swim with hubby.

Maybe just try again and be prepared that it may be a few short visits until she gets used to it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My hubby and I live near the beach (hubby a big surfer) and when our daughter was born we took her to the beach, she was ok with it then went through a stage when she was one where she didnt like it and was scared of the water. She is now 2y and 4m and can't get enough of it- absolutely loves it. So I think they just go through stages. We never stopped going as we didnt want her to become even more fearful by never going and the days she didnt like it we would stay for a couple of mins and the days she liked it we stayed for a long period.

So my guess is just a stage, kids are so up and down and I wouldn't be surprised if you went back there tomorrow and it was a completely different reaction!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Take it slowly. We live 500m from the beach so our kids are there from a week old. Even having said that they have days where they hate it because it's too windy, too sunny, too noisy, too busy. Let's face it, I have days where I'm less than happy being at the beach.

It's very stimulating I think her response sounds really normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone. We'll try again next weekend maybe. Breaks my heart. My boys used to get like that for various things so it makes me scared and worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is the same too. I have to hold him for awhile first then he will happily play in the sand while sitting in my lap and then end up moving off my lap and playing on his own.

but take him near the water and he screams blue murder. Loves the bath and shower but cold water no way. Today we moved him closer to the water but still on the sand and he didn't like that and was shaking and crying.

I hope it is just a phase for your dd and she starts to enjoy it soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks donna! Funny little things.

My moo hates the bath too >_< hates being messy so maybe its just a sensory thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was 5.5 months. He loves the sand but HATED the waves crashing over his legs, but I think that was the temp! Now at 11.5 months he thinks the beach is the bees knees