+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok. So seems things got a little cray cray today.
    The long and the short of it is.. She slept better, thus we slept better. She is still waking for regular feeds every few hours and using the dummy after a very long feed allowed her to doze off properly instead of having tiny cat naps that weren't helping anyone. Ttl she probably sucked on it for 15min through the night. She has continued to feed and attach well today at regular intervals and we will see at her weigh ins if she is putting on weight. After all that is the best indication that she is getting enough and my supply isn't diminishing.

Whilst I was torn about using the dummy for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. It came down to the fact that having mental breakdowns in the middle of the night and feeling intense resentment for my child was not healthy for anyone either. So as with all decisions we make.. You weigh out the benefits and the risks and choose what feels like the best path for you at that time under those circumstances.

I have a ds6 also. So whilst I can and have been resting during the day. I still need to be functional enough to get him to school, help with homework and the like. It's not fair on ds to be lagging in school work cause mummy is sleep walking like a zombie.

We will see how we get on tonight and take it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so hard isn't it?

Set yourself milestones/goals to reach, the first one being 6 weeks.

Then when you reach it, look forward to 12 weeks.

Don't worry about anything else except getting thru these first few weeks, you'll all be ok!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

MadeWithLove  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, im sorry i have not properly read through this thread and will possibly have no new advice that has already been given. But i just wanted to tell you to be kind to yourself, lovey. Hormones are at their peak right now, it's a vunerable, confusing and intense time of your life. Gather all the support you can from your partner, friends and family - you will really need them through this time esp the first few weeks, as much as you may not like to admit it. Just ask for help. No one will judge you and it's a very healthy thing to be doing for you and the baby.

My next part of advice would be to get active with bub during the day. Take her outside in a bouncer/swing/carrier. Sun and fresh air do wonders. Let her know that daytime is playtime. Being 1 week old, she has no idea!

Try to establish some bedtime cues - feeding to sleep is perfectly FINE. Even try a night time routine! its never to early to begin a night time ritual. Just something sinple like a bath, feed, bed every single night, if you like. You want to get the message through to her that night time is sleepy quiet time.

As for the feeds, sounds normal but could you try feeding more frequently through the day? maybe every 2 hours? That may mean waking her but as i said, day is for play.

It does sound like she cluster feeds later in the night. Give her this oportunity a bit earlier in the night, after your ds has gone to bed. prop yourself up in bed/couch with a movie/tv show and just give her all access lol. My ds used to cluster feed from 4-9pm i was absolutely STUFFED!!! horrid time lol but we got through it, it did not last.
    If all else fails, there is nothing wrong with having her in bed with you while she cluster feeds and you sleep.
    Feed her when she demands through the night. It wont last. She's growing -FAST! and trying to establish a milk supply. You just have to go with her at this point.

If you want to use a dummy, use it. My ds was a sucker, had one in hospital and it had no impact on his attatchment. Infact, it gave me more rest! I fed on demand, he'd spit the dummy when he was hungry and that was 1.5-2hrly round the clock. Absclutely did not interfer with our breastfeeding.
    I would seeer away from formula right now. It may upset bub and it will certainly interfer with your supply. bub will be too full too feed as frequently. At this stage, bub needs to feed very frequently to establish a good supply.
    If you want to wean her to formula and you have giver bf all that you have, then do it. Hun, you have to do what is best for both of you. Dont suffer through these precious moments.

Rest. Rest. and Rest.
    Enjoy her. She sounds very normal and everything you have said is so relevant for 1 week into it. Be kind to youself. Dont be aftraid to ask for help. You will both find your feet before you know it!
    All the best.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefie View Post
    Hi, im sorry i have not properly read through this thread and will possibly have no new advice that has already been given. But i just wanted to tell you to be kind to yourself, lovey. Hormones are at their peak right now, it's a vunerable, confusing and intense time of your life. Gather all the support you can from your partner, friends and family - you will really need them through this time esp the first few weeks, as much as you may not like to admit it. Just ask for help. No one will judge you and it's a very healthy thing to be doing for you and the baby.

My next part of advice would be to get active with bub during the day. Take her outside in a bouncer/swing/carrier. Sun and fresh air do wonders. Let her know that daytime is playtime. Being 1 week old, she has no idea!

Try to establish some bedtime cues - feeding to sleep is perfectly FINE. Even try a night time routine! its never to early to begin a night time ritual. Just something sinple like a bath, feed, bed every single night, if you like. You want to get the message through to her that night time is sleepy quiet time.

As for the feeds, sounds normal but could you try feeding more frequently through the day? maybe every 2 hours? That may mean waking her but as i said, day is for play.

It does sound like she cluster feeds later in the night. Give her this oportunity a bit earlier in the night, after your ds has gone to bed. prop yourself up in bed/couch with a movie/tv show and just give her all access lol. My ds used to cluster feed from 4-9pm i was absolutely STUFFED!!! horrid time lol but we got through it, it did not last.
    If all else fails, there is nothing wrong with having her in bed with you while she cluster feeds and you sleep.
    Feed her when she demands through the night. It wont last. She's growing -FAST! and trying to establish a milk supply. You just have to go with her at this point.

If you want to use a dummy, use it. My ds was a sucker, had one in hospital and it had no impact on his attatchment. Infact, it gave me more rest! I fed on demand, he'd spit the dummy when he was hungry and that was 1.5-2hrly round the clock. Absclutely did not interfer with our breastfeeding.
    I would seeer away from formula right now. It may upset bub and it will certainly interfer with your supply. bub will be too full too feed as frequently. At this stage, bub needs to feed very frequently to establish a good supply.
    If you want to wean her to formula and you have giver bf all that you have, then do it. Hun, you have to do what is best for both of you. Dont suffer through these precious moments.

Rest. Rest. and Rest.
    Enjoy her. She sounds very normal and everything you have said is so relevant for 1 week into it. Be kind to youself. Dont be aftraid to ask for help. You will both find your feet before you know it!
    All the best.
    What a lovely helpful post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUs3 View Post
    What a lovely helpful post.
    awww thanks. just feel for the op. ive been there! She's doing such a wonderful job already, i hope she knows that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefie View Post
    awww thanks. just feel for the op. ive been there! She's doing such a wonderful job already, i hope she knows that.
    It's so hard when they're newbies isn't it. My DS is almost 3 weeks old and my 2nd baby and I still have no idea what I'm doing some days, lol.

Glad you got a better nights sleep MadeWithLove, hopefully it continues for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted
    Last edited by SugarSkull; 14-10-2013 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Would you not think that a 1 week old would be sucking to build supply (as that is when the milk is coming in)... Not sucking for comfort??? Anyway... I'm not getting into an argument with you about why you should or shouldn't use a dummy... I'm just sharing MY experience, like every other person on here does...
    My son was formula fed from day 3... Was he trying to build the bottles supply? Nope.. He liked to suck for comfort. He was a super sucky baby.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

JustUs3  (14-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUs3 View Post
    It's so hard when they're newbies isn't it. My DS is almost 3 weeks old and my 2nd baby and I still have no idea what I'm doing some days, lol.

Glad you got a better nights sleep MadeWithLove, hopefully it continues for you.
    i dont think it matters how many babies you have had, newborns are HARD WORK!!!! but oh so worth it. Congratulations to you and your new bub too

Thanks
    Reviews
    MWL- you're doing an incredible job. I know how frustrating it is when your baby think you're a dummy. I gave up with DD on day 4 because I just couldn't take it anymore. She was attached on me for 6 hours before I lost it that night and gave her formula.
    You're doing great! There's nothing wrong with using a dummy. It'll give you a bit of a break as well. Like you said, it's better not to be angry & bitter with your daughter. This is a time to bond.
    You can do this. It WILL get easier. Just imagine what it'll be like in 6 months time with your breastfeeding journey. Just the two of you bonding : )

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post: