+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for typos!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    Ok don't get me wrong I adore the pants of my DD. but I can't keep doing these nights. I'm at breaking point every night and even broke down crying last night in the midst of it.

I don't know what to do. Is it normal. Should we be expecting less.??

She feeds well and sleeps well all day. Good 2-3 hrs sometimes more- blocks of rest then feeds etc. she is settled and happy.

But come 10/11pm she feeds. And feeds. And feeds and feeds and feeds. She gets milk drunk. But not asleep. If I put her in her basinet next to us she lies for about 1min before fussing and looking for the breast again. So we start all over. This goes on for hours. Last night both df and I were up from 10 till 5 on repeat. Feed. Burp. Lie down. Wake up. Etc etc.

We can't get any rest and its wearing me down. Come 5am she finally slept for a few hrs and then resumed her day time routine of feed and sleep for a few hrs.

Is this cluster feeding? It seems so extreme. I don't know how she isn't just exhausted. And I kind of want to scream when she yawns at me at 3am after not an ounce of sleep for any of us.

I want to keep breastfeeding and stick with it. I worry about using dummies or formula top ups in case it affects my supply. I already had supply issues with DS yrs ago and am very conscious not to have the same problems.

Suggestions, support, advise plse!!!!
    You poor thing I was you 16 months ago I am going to say it really does get better there is light at the end of the tunnel she sounds like she is a bit backwards thinking night is day etc very normal taking her outside during the day helps a lot with flipping them and just keep up with whatever routine you have going like play eat sleep whichever you do, it will take a good 3 months for everything to fall into place I know it's hard getting no sleep I was so set in no dummies and no co sleeping ha ha that went out the window quick I co slept because it was the only way I could get sleep breastfeed and stay sane and folded with the dummy from 6 months my 16 month old is laying next to me as I type this not for long though he is being evicted to his own room lol. Try stay positive the first 12
    Months have a lot of ups and downs but it is all worth it you just have to stay calm take time out and get used to the fact you will never have real sleep for along time xxx good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So far so good. She fed well after her bath at 9. Fussed and carried on a bit so we gave the dummy a try to tide her over in between feeds. Sucked herself to sleep a few times in between a bit of gas then I caved and fed again at 11.

She slept till 1. Feeding well again now (1am). Hopefully after the second side she will sleep.

Co sleeper bed is good. Takes up a bit of space. Df has taken to sleeping about half way down the bed to get comfy. But we are sleeping better knowing she is safe and we can't accidentally roll into her.

I wasn't sure about the dummy. But if it helps her settle.. I will take it. If I am burping or holding her she will desperately seek my boob but if df does it she just relaxes into him. Especially after her bath, she fed on both sides, then back again for seconds. She cannot be hungry after that- surely?! If we use the dummy in between feeds at night and not instead of feeds. We should be ok.

I hope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As well as setting up your milk supply, it sounds like she is using your breast like a dummy to help her relax. Does she doze off whilst feeding? Is she swallowing a lot or just doing little suckles to help her relax without actually consuming very much. Sometimes they act like they are hungry when they are really exhausted and don't know how to switch off. I would try to make bigger gaps between feeds at night even if that meant holding her while she sleeps if that helps her sleep for a longer period. It will get better within in the next few months but I know how hellish it can seem at the time. In my experience a dummy seldom does any harm and can be really useful at night.
    Last edited by babydreaming35; 14-10-2013 at 06:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydreaming35 View Post
    As well as setting up your milk supply, it sounds like she is using your breast like a dummy to help her relax. Does she doze off whilst feeding? Is she swallowing a lot or just doing little suckles to help her relax without actually consuming very much. Sometimes they act like they are hungry when they are really exhausted and don't know how to switch off. I would try to make bigger gaps between feeds at night even if that meant holding her while she sleeps if that helps her sleep for a longer period. It will get better within in the next few months but I know how hellish it can seem at the time. In my experience a dummy seldom does any harm and can be really useful at night.
    During the fussing times she was dozing alot and only doing little suckles. It was really harsh on my nipples. They were red raw from being sucked non stop for 4+ hrs the other night.

Last night she did really well to sleep for a few long solid blocks of 2-3hrs then wake for a feed. She sucked on the dummy for a minute after being wrapped up again before it fell out and she was asleep. So I tend to agree that she was just using me to settle and perhaps the dummy allowed her to relax enough to sleep soundly. Where as on the boob she would doze and then wake when I moved her into her bed. This way she can fall asleep without being disrupted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hrm, I don't agree with the phrase "using breast like a dummy" as it is actually the dummy that is breast replacement.

OP, how your baby is behaving is completely normal and natural. The only way I could get any sleep in the early weeks was to bed share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureMa View Post
    Hrm, I don't agree with the phrase "using breast like a dummy" as it is actually the dummy that is breast replacement.

OP, how your baby is behaving is completely normal and natural. The only way I could get any sleep in the early weeks was to bed share.
    Agreed. My midwife said that 'there is no such thing as comfort sucking, it's just an excuse people use to justify giving their baby a dummy'.. Her words exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Agreed. My midwife said that 'there is no such thing as comfort sucking, it's just an excuse people use to justify giving their baby a dummy'.. Her words exactly.
    Well she didn't meet my son. He would scream when milk came out, have him a dummy and he was happy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-10-2013),PinkPopsicle  (14-10-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Helpful post, cassieh. I like how you didn't say it, your midwife said it, thus mitigating any offense that could be attributed to you personally.

Midwives and health nurses are notorious for saying ill informed and insensitive twaddle.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-10-2013),Jenga  (14-10-2013),kw123  (14-10-2013),NancyBlackett  (14-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-10-2013),PinkPopsicle  (14-10-2013),Purple Lily  (14-10-2013),SugarSkull  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Lol because it needs justification? Like giving your baby a dummy is harmful? Lol!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Jenga  (14-10-2013),Purple Lily  (14-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast