+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Money for nothing

What are your tips on getting something for nothing to help me and fellow hubbers out?

My tips :

- register with the Medicare safety net- it's free to do it and once you reach the cap you get a lot more back. ( let's face it with kids it's easy to reach the cap)

- we put our bonus and tax return cash into our offset account of our mortgage (rather in savings) last month alone we saved aprox $100 ( which considering the amount we would have only got a few $$ in the savings account)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Register for the PBS safety net as well. Depending on how many prescriptions your family uses, you may end up with free medicines for part of the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really money for nothing, more saving money (hope that's ok). Register at your local library. I'm a book worm and can and will spend way way way too much buying books. Instead I just borrow them and buwt the ones I really enjoyed.

So yeah, saving money

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've joined the Smith Family Saver Plus program. Each fortnight for 10 months I put $25 into an ANZ account that earns interest and has no fees. The Smith family will match dollar for dollar up to $500 over a 10 month period. It's to encourage budgeting and saving. The $500 they give you is to be used towards schooling (anything from excursions, uniforms, book lists, iPads) and obviously you can use your money on what you'd like or even just keep saving (which is what I plan to do) and if you choose to continue with the account you can keep it fee free and earning interest. The interest is higher is you don't make any withdrawals. I treat it as a bill and I don't even notice the money not there. Once my youngest starts school I'm going to continue to deposit the amount I pay for his daycare fees currently.

My 10 months ends in April so I'll receive $500 then. My DS's birthday is at the end of April so he'll be getting an iPad that I don't have to pay for. I could never afford such an extravagant gift as a single mummy. I'm very excited for him. I'll use the remainder of the money to buy the next size up in uniforms (so they are there for when he needs them). I think I have to spend it all at once and show proof??

If you have a healthcare card or pension card, have some form of income, have a child in school and live in an area where Saver Plus is delivered then you could be eligible.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 12-10-2013 at 22:19.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-10-2013),Chook86  (12-01-2014),jagamoe  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also if you have a credit card linked to a rewards program (my GO MasterCard is) pay for everything using your card and transfer the balance from your savings straight away. Then you earn heaps of points but pay no interest. I've just ordered a $100 coles myer card that I've earned from using my points. I have the card anyway as I'm paying off a fridge and outdoor setting. I also worked out the cost of these over the interest free period and pay them off each fortnight so they'll both be paid about 5 months before my interest free runs out so again no interest there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Also if you have a credit card linked to a rewards program (my GO MasterCard is) pay for everything using your card and transfer the balance from your savings straight away. Then you earn heaps of points but pay no interest. I've just ordered a $100 coles myer card that I've earned from using my points. I have the card anyway as I'm paying off a fridge and outdoor setting. I also worked out the cost of these over the interest free period and pay them off each fortnight so they'll both be paid about 5 months before my interest free runs out so again no interest there.
    This reminds me, I've registered with flybuys and everyday rewards ( linked to qantas Ff) and just got my qantas cash card which earns points from using the cash card and the rewards card. I'm going to put my food budget $$ each week onto it so i effectively get extra points.
    Also linked my Optus account to it ( so get extra there)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    This reminds me, I've registered with flybuys and everyday rewards ( linked to qantas Ff) and just got my qantas cash card which earns points from using the cash card and the rewards card. I'm going to put my food budget $$ each week onto it so i effectively get extra points.
    Also linked my Optus account to it ( so get extra there)
    Yeah I have both of those as well. I've earned so many Coles/myer gift cards with flybuys it's great!!! I always just get the gift cards and I'm really boring and use them towards my groceries so it's less I have to spend every now and then.

Also anyone else on a concession card - make sure you tell Ergon & you'll get a discount plus cheaper rego (well I do in QLD anyway).

I'm also about to email a 30 video in to a company I bought a clothesline from recently and I get a $50 Coles/myer card. Sometimes it pays just to read your emails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've done the saverplus program and pay for everything on credit and pay it off straight away as theboys&me suggested.
    I have a rewards central, my opinions, and wdyt accounts. I don't really use them regularly but over the years I've got a few hundred in cash and gift cards.

There are some similar sites where you can sign up to try samples and complete surveys after using the product as well. I got some free mentos gum doing this..lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I've done the saverplus program and pay for everything on credit and pay it off straight away as theboys&me suggested.
    I have a rewards central, my opinions, and wdyt accounts. I don't really use them regularly but over the years I've got a few hundred in cash and gift cards.

There are some similar sites where you can sign up to try samples and complete surveys after using the product as well. I got some free mentos gum doing this..lol.

Are the rewards/survey accounts worth it?? Which would you say is the best??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Are the rewards/survey accounts worth it?? Which would you say is the best??
    Yeah I think they are. I wouldn't go in expecting to get heaps out them but over time you can accumulate a bit.

My opinions can be linked to rewards central so your points can be transfered over. So you can do surveys, click on advertisements, play games (not very exciting ones), shop online, and the likes. You earn points that you can bank and earn interest on or reedem for actual cash, donate to charity, giftcards, etc.

Wdyt isn't too bad. I find it doesn't take too long to earn enough for a $20 gift card and I don't even log on that reguarly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

PrincessPud  (24-11-2013)