+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Rental Applications without Inspections?

Feel free to tell me that I am dreamin'! (I am pretty sure I am)

I am planning a big move from north QLD to NSW early next year. I know a few people living there, but I would never ask them to house me, two toddlers, a cat and dog temporarily - until we find a suitable rental. I am also unlikely to have a job waiting for me when we arrive, as I need to get childcare organised first. (I will inquire about both childcare and work opportunities now, but doubt that they will fall into place by the time my lease runs out here in QLD)

So, what are the chances of me being approved for rentals that I apply for from a distance, (without being able to inspect) with two kids, two pets and no job? (but with enough of an income to pay rent until I get a job) I have a perfect rental history and am cute as a button.

Has anyone else just packed up and moved without anything in place? How the he11 did you go about it?

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see one option being placing our belongings in storage, place the pets in a battery and kennel, and book us into some temporary accommodation. But that would be extremely expensive and hard on us all; especially our beloved pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did. Moved interstate, not many rentals in the area, so we took a chance and applied for one online without seeing it. There weren't even any inside photos available! Lucky it's nice . We thought we were crazy at the time, but it was nice getting there and having a place to move straight in to.

With getting an application, we were approved straight away but DH also had a job which is why we were moving. I think without a job or other source of income it will be a lot harder. Landlords want to know you can pay the rent- what happens if you can't find a job/ daycare at all? Try putting a letter with any application saying what your plan is and letting them know you can pay the rent- it sort of personalises your application a bit more.

I would probably try to get the ball rolling earlier on daycare and work- call around and put the kids names down at a few centres now, see how easy it is to get days. Can you get a friend down there to check them out for you. Also start checking jobs in the area- send in a few applications with letters letting them know what your situation is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just saw your comment that you'd inquire about work and childcare before leaving. Definitely put a letter with any rental application telling them that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It will probably depend on the market. If its competitive it could be harder as they won't have met you and gotten that first impression from you.

I would ring agents and have a chat when you find something you like. Put a letter on your application as well, maybe include a photo. Just do anything you can to make yourself stand out to them.

We moved a few years ago and rented a place unseen as well. But the RE was great and emailed me pics and even the PCR before we signed. We had great references which helped as well.

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Exciting move my brave warrior!

We have rented out to people from out of state numerous times, but this has generally been when they've got a confirmed job. As PPs have suggested, a phone call to the RE agent and a letter may help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    You lie! I moved QLD to NSW and actually tried to do it the legit way- went there, inspected, and applied but got nowhere. So I started applying online, just said I inspected and got the first place I applied for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for encouraging words, everyone! (Hi Salsa, I'm baaaaack.)I have been doing lots of research on childcare and the community sector (which is my area of work) so I am really hoping that I might arrive with something already in place. But I will absolutely personalize any rental applications and make them stand out positively - as best as I can!PS: I just want to clarify something; I meant cattery, NOT battery. I swear that was no Freudian slip!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of places I've looked at wouldn't let you apply without inspection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    think i saw on one of your previous posts before that you are moving to Newcastle area? generally here with all the real estates we have dealt with in Newie they do make you go to inspections as they are unhelpful. My sister moved back home from out of area and had to get my dad to go to official inspection and hand in application then. Just check with real estates. Never used to be as hard as it is now either as a lot of places will only allow inspections on certain days when they have generated a lot of people wanting to see house. Good luck hope you find something easily though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app