+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    But some LLs claim that property managers don't do anything. That I don't understand TBH. I totally understand that most employ a PM because they don't want to deal with any of the stress. I can't say I blame them.

I think a tenancy should be treated like hiring a hotel room. If I was advised that I could rent a room in a hotel and they'd be doing some maintenance outside, and came inside to find the owner using the toilet and then running outside pretending he hadn't been in, I'd be just as confused as I am about the OP. There should always be a certain level of professionalism when it comes to rental properties whether they be holiday homes, motels, commercial properties. The landlords would have had no idea whether the new tenant had started using the property, unless they went and looked through all of the windows, which is just as invasive.

I prefer rentals with property managers because I feel they do act as that professional third-party because it's not their property on which they pay a mortgage or rent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I live 1500km away from 2 of our properties, so although possible, would be difficult to manage myself.

Also, some tenants are absolute nightmares. We have tenants who we signed to a 3 year lease as per their request, so they could have security, treat the house as a home etc. etc. then proceeded to be between 5-10 weeks behind on their rent. Constantly. They are breached weekly. We have been to QCAT twice, and they were given 'one last chance' to catch up, they catch up at the eleventh hour, then proceed to fall 10 weeks behind in rent. I don't want to deal with that - constant phone calls and emails, cockamaimy stories, out and out lies. We have been to court with 2 other tenants over the last few years - 1 disappeared without a trace leaving $1200 worth of damage and cleaning and also a month behind in rent (never to be found again - so $500 excess on our insurance that one), and another who left while 6 weeks behind in rent and also stole our mower we left behind for him to use at his request.

I'm not dealing with that crap, I'll part with the 8%, even if at times the PM's **** me off with their lack of communication and action.
    Wow you've had some crap experiences you poor thing. As a renter that is never a day late, ever, I think that's pathetic on those tenants behalf. Could you not evict them though? 5-10 weeks behind is just ridiculous....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    But some LLs claim that property managers don't do anything. That I don't understand TBH. I totally understand that most employ a PM because they don't want to deal with any of the stress. I can't say I blame them.

From what I can see, property management has a very high turnover
    (Both the house we rent and the one we rent out have been through two this year already) and with that come communication errors and often inexperienced people taking over management of the property. Workloads are high too I believe- correct me if I'm wrong but I think they take about 300 properties each which is huge. It's just the reality of the industry. A lot more goes on than what tenants see too- eg, we are currently chasing the PM of the property we own about a bill that they paid 6 months late and has now racked up $200 late fees. It's not that they don't do anything but with huge workloads and high turnover communication does break down, things don't get passed on, and sometimes you have to chase them to get any response. It's not just tenants that have to chase them - landlords do too! We are currently chasing the same PM as they don't appear to have done any inspections for the last year. (One more problem with them and we will be looking for a new real estate agent though- we have just about had enough!) Aside from managing your own property, which is not practical for a lot of LL's, there isn't much you can do though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was worked for a RE Agency for years. I do know they have a lot of work, and they have feral tenants and feral landlords to deal with day in, day out. I cannot ever say they "do nothing" and I know they spend their entire working day PLUS unpaid overtime chasing their tails and trying to catch up. Re the bills, they are paid by admin, not the property manager as an individual.

I'm just surprised at the PM's response in this case. I cannot imagine any service or product for which someone pays good money making a complaint and being told to get assed. The LL ran outside, so clearly they knew they were overstepping some boundaries. That fact alone would make me think twice about taking complaints any further because hopefully it was just a once off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It should be 1 property manager per 150 properties , as an agency owner it's really hard to find a good one, its a very high turn over job and I thank The Lord we've got an amazing property manager but unfortunately it's not a job most people want and a lot of business owners just put on anyone who will do the job - I personally would not be a property manager for any amount of money!

Benji, the main reason people use a property manager is that the legislation changes all the time and it's really hard for most landlords to keep up to date plus most do not know the act and regulations to start with plus using the OP as an example, people take things very personally and unfortunately personalities get in the way and even though I totally agree it should be an easy business transaction it's too personal when you are dealing with normally someone's biggest investment (landlord) and on the other hand someone's family home they live in ( tenant)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow you've had some crap experiences you poor thing. As a renter that is never a day late, ever, I think that's pathetic on those tenants behalf. Could you not evict them though? 5-10 weeks behind is just ridiculous....
    Having experienced v similar with tenants I can say no, you can't just evict.

Rent is monthly. They don't pay. A week after non-payment you issue breach notice. You have to give a week for it to arrive. A week to comply. That's 6 weeks in abeyance. They then get a week to remedy. They don't. That's 7 weeks. You issue notice to leave. You have to give at least 7 days. That's 8 weeks. They don't leave. You apply to the tribunal. That's another few weeks. You get a hearing. They pay a few weeks rent. They've made an effort. They get to stay. They're still 6 weeks behind in rent so no chance in recouping loss from the bond.

And then it all starts again the next month.

You try to end the lease without notice. That takes three months. They don't move. You go to tribunal. Tribunal says don't be mean to poor tenants who don't have anywhere to live. Despite having 90 days to find somewhere else.

Having been a tenant and a landlord I'd pick being a tenant any time. Even if my landlord didn't flush while they cleaned up my courtyard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My SIL is a PM and gets paid peanuts yet has about 10 times more stress than I do in my job where I get paid about 50% more than her. They deal with so much crap from the few bad tennants that they have that I think they become a bit jaded with all of their tennants, I would too if I had to deal with half of the stuff my SIL does. She seems like a very fair PM too, carries spray and wipe and chux in her car in case a tennant has missed something so she can quickly wipe it over at the outgoing inspection so she doesn't have to take any money out of their bond for cleaning.
    Sorry a bit OT but I know that she's good at her job so didn't want all PMs to cop a hiding when there are some decent ones out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Having experienced v similar with tenants I can say no, you can't just evict.

Rent is monthly. They don't pay. A week after non-payment you issue breach notice. You have to give a week for it to arrive. A week to comply. That's 6 weeks in abeyance. They then get a week to remedy. They don't. That's 7 weeks. You issue notice to leave. You have to give at least 7 days. That's 8 weeks. They don't leave. You apply to the tribunal. That's another few weeks. You get a hearing. They pay a few weeks rent. They've made an effort. They get to stay. They're still 6 weeks behind in rent so no chance in recouping loss from the bond.

And then it all starts again the next month.

You try to end the lease without notice. That takes three months. They don't move. You go to tribunal. Tribunal says don't be mean to poor tenants who don't have anywhere to live. Despite having 90 days to find somewhere else.

Having been a tenant and a landlord I'd pick being a tenant any time. Even if my landlord didn't flush while they cleaned up my courtyard.
    Where is people's sense of pride? There is no way on earth I would do that, but hypothetically it happened, I would be too embarrassed to stay on after the eviction notice. That is effectively squatting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post

In all honesty, me too. DP has money invested, just not in residential property. I couldn't think of anything less I'd rather invest in.

but surely tenants still have right to complain? I am a good tenant and have had my entire home peeked through by my landlords. Yet I treat it as my own. Pay for anythingI damage immediately, keep it clean, pay rent well in advance.

The OP has paid her bond and deposit, so we can only assume so far she is doing the right thing as far as her responsibilities as a tenant goes.

Let's forget how much "harder" landlords have it for a minute and look purely at her case. She was handed the keys and there were people in the house.

The LLs haven't acted responsibly and she has every right to feel uncomfortable about it no matter what other tenants have done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of COURSE they have a right to complain. Vociferously if needs be.

I genuinely hope the OP has noted the used toilet (wtf) on the entry report.