+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Ive never been able to drop a key back the following morning, if I did, I would be made to pay another days rent... so say if my lease ended at midnight on monday the 14th of october, I would have to have to have the keys back by close os business monday. If I didnt take them back til Tuesday morning when they open, it would be classed as another day hence needing to pay another day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yep, keys are always back before close of business the day the lease ends otherwise extra charges are involved. That's pretty standard these days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have to admit they dont appear to be fantastic LL's ... and an even worse agent.

If that was me (the landlord), and I went in to air out the property, clean or have a look before the tennant moved in, and the tenant arrived while I was in ... quickly going out the back so the tenant didnt see isnt exactly a promising way to start. The LL's should have introduced themselves and apologised for being in the property, had a chat etc.

The PM too should have apologised rather than the blase "who gives a ****' response.

Having said that - I truly dont see the big deal in them being there before you have moved in. Since you didnt have a property condition report, perhaps you could have taken that oportunity to go around with the owner and note the condition of things.

What to do now
    I am with many here - write a polite email to the PM to note that the landlords WERE inside the property, which you dont see as appropriate, and you would like to ensure that if they wish to view the property in any way, they give you the correct notice and do it via the correct channels so that you have it on record that you objected to their presence.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Ive never been able to drop a key back the following morning, if I did, I would be made to pay another days rent... so say if my lease ended at midnight on monday the 14th of october, I would have to have to have the keys back by close os business monday. If I didnt take them back til Tuesday morning when they open, it would be classed as another day hence needing to pay another day.

I hand them in by COB if it suits, if it doesn't I let them know they will be dropped off in the mail box before they open. It has never been a drama.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always been told it has to be COB the last day or we would pay penalties.
    Even if we had to come back to do cleaning or repairs we also had to pay for those days also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We got called back to a property years ago to clean finger prints lol and they took one day of rent out of our bond bc the keys were returned 2pm the next day So yep, RE most certainly charge you for every single day you have the keys beyond the day you are paid to/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We got called back to a property years ago to clean finger prints lol and they took one day of rent out of our bond bc the keys were returned 2pm the next day So yep, RE most certainly charge you for every single day you have the keys beyond the day you are paid to/
    We got called back a week after returning keys, because there was 1 dead bug on the tiles. I despise most rental property managers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How did they know you hadn't already started moving things in, you say you'd already been cleaning. I'd be really unhappy. That is incredibly unprofessional. If they wanted to "air things out" (aka probably the massive dump they just took in YOUR toilet without permission) they should have done so before the lease started. My landlords come around occasionally to oil the timber fence out the front. At no time, ever, do they have permission to come inside the house no matter how desperately they need the toilet (they can come in if it's pre-arranged maintenance inside).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have had landlords in the past who have made it clear that they "own the property" and that it is "their house" and have popped in unannounced and proceeded to tell me everything I'm doing wrong cleaning-wise (apparently hosing off the toys in the backyard was wrong, I should have disinfected). The situation in the OP is something I would have expected from them and, as a first impression, massive alarm bells would be going off in my head.

my favourite one was the last one. I never met her at all, maintenance was attended to immediately. The property managers were always fantastic, and they still are (same ones) but this time around my landlords are pretty cheap unfortunately. I don't understand why landlords employ property managers tbh because they all claim property managers don't pass on messages etc. why not manage it yourself and save your 8% in fees?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't understand why landlords employ property managers tbh because they all claim property managers don't pass on messages etc. why not manage it yourself and save your 8% in fees?
    I live 1500km away from 2 of our properties, so although possible, would be difficult to manage myself.

Also, some tenants are absolute nightmares. We have tenants who we signed to a 3 year lease as per their request, so they could have security, treat the house as a home etc. etc. then proceeded to be between 5-10 weeks behind on their rent. Constantly. They are breached weekly. We have been to QCAT twice, and they were given 'one last chance' to catch up, they catch up at the eleventh hour, then proceed to fall 10 weeks behind in rent. I don't want to deal with that - constant phone calls and emails, cockamaimy stories, out and out lies. We have been to court with 2 other tenants over the last few years - 1 disappeared without a trace leaving $1200 worth of damage and cleaning and also a month behind in rent (never to be found again - so $500 excess on our insurance that one), and another who left while 6 weeks behind in rent and also stole our mower we left behind for him to use at his request.

I'm not dealing with that crap, I'll part with the 8%, even if at times the PM's **** me off with their lack of communication and action.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 13-10-2013 at 17:32.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

Benji  (13-10-2013),Mokeybear  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't understand why landlords employ property managers tbh because they all claim property managers don't pass on messages etc. why not manage it yourself and save your 8% in fees?
    Plenty of reasons.
    We live interstate from our property. It would be impossible to come back every time we needed to visit the property- eg, every time an inspection needed to be done or every time prospective tenants were needed to be shown through the property. It's cheaper , and much less stressful, to employ a property manager to do the job.