+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by haveheart View Post
    I always do it and I'm guessing a lot of other tenants do it too.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    But you have to give the RE a copy of the keys if you change the locks. They would no doubt pass a copy to the owner so why bother?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    But you have to give the RE a copy of the keys if you change the locks. They would no doubt pass a copy to the owner so why bother?

You're supposed to give them a copy but you don't HAVE to. But we will just let my idea go as apparently I am the only person in the bub hub world that does this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with a few other PPs, send an email, politely but firmly stating you expect things like this to not happen again.

Put the bathroom as dirty on the condition report.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a tenant changed the locks and did not supply a key I would be very upset and it would sour the relationship beyond repair I think. I have never used my keys to enter a property, I always go through with the PM and the tenant is always aware (or I go through properties between tenancies).

As people have said, it's a mutually beneficial relationship with responsibilities on both sides. As a LL I would have appreciated you introducing yourself. If you were not at the property I would have taken a quick look inside. I'm not breaching your privacy, you had not arrived to take occupation (and none of your belongings were there).

Once you take possession I would not dream of entering the property.

I would move on and work to build a positive relationship with your PM and LL as it will yield more dividends than shouting laws at them.

BTW OP you realise that technically you are required to pay rent two weeks in advance, not behind. In 13 years of being a LL I've only ever had one tenant do that. I've had plenty that get 2 weeks or more behind in the rent and I've had to carry that. That does not include, people trashing etc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (13-10-2013),Mokeybear  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're supposed to give them a copy but you don't HAVE to. But we will just let my idea go as apparently I am the only person in the bub hub world that does this.
    I'm just trying to understand, have you been told you don't need to provide a copy of new keys if you change the locks?

I'll admit I've been out of property management for a couple of years but if you (tenant) change the locks you need to provide a copy of the new keys to the property manager (or LL if it's a private rental).

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    If a tenant changed the locks and did not supply a key I would be very upset and it would sour the relationship beyond repair I think. I have never used my keys to enter a property, I always go through with the PM and the tenant is always aware (or I go through properties between tenancies).

As people have said, it's a mutually beneficial relationship with responsibilities on both sides. As a LL I would have appreciated you introducing yourself. If you were not at the property I would have taken a quick look inside. I'm not breaching your privacy, you had not arrived to take occupation (and none of your belongings were there).

Once you take possession I would not dream of entering the property.

I would move on and work to build a positive relationship with your PM and LL as it will yield more dividends than shouting laws at them.

BTW OP you realise that technically you are required to pay rent two weeks in advance, not behind. In 13 years of being a LL I've only ever had one tenant do that. I've had plenty that get 2 weeks or more behind in the rent and I've had to carry that. That does not include, people trashing etc.
    And where did this rent comment come from? Have we all assumed I don't pay rent now? Would you like me to scan in tenant ledgers proving I'm 3 weeks in advance? Far out, lets blow everything out of proportion and create issues that never existed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yeah if you do something or have an opinion in the minority, you are best keeping it to yourself apparently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    So if a tenant had to vacate a property by midnight, they were to hand the keys in when the real estates office opened the next day and on their way they realised they left, say a phone charger in a power point for arguments sake, and stopped used the keys and grabbed it.....you think they should be charged an extra days rent?

You are being completely OTT. I hope you never planned to stay after this lease because if you continue with this refund of rent, professional cleaner for the toilet, threats from the office of fair trading path, I wouldn't be expecting a lease renewal to come your way.

For all you know they were airing the place out and trying to do a nice thing!
    Ive never been able to drop a key back the following morning, if I did, I would be made to pay another days rent... so say if my lease ended at midnight on monday the 14th of october, I would have to have to have the keys back by close os business monday. If I didnt take them back til Tuesday morning when they open, it would be classed as another day hence needing to pay another day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Ive never been able to drop a key back the following morning, if I did, I would be made to pay another days rent... so say if my lease ended at midnight on monday the 14th of october, I would have to have to have the keys back by close os business monday. If I didnt take them back til Tuesday morning when they open, it would be classed as another day hence needing to pay another day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Ive always dropped the keys back the morning after my lease has ended with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Ive always dropped the keys back the morning after my lease has ended with no problems.
    Me too..

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.