+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think if the owners 'needed' to do stuff inside the property, they should have done it before the very day the tenant takes possession of the property.

If I turned up at my new rental property ready to move in and the owners were swanning around inside I'd be completely thinking WTF?

They may own the property, but the day the tenant takes possession should be the day they no longer have the right to be there without the tenants permission.

The PM sounds like a d!ck.

OP, if I was you I'd probably send an email to the PM to smooth things over whilst remaining firm on the fact that you do not want this happening again. It would suck for this unpleasantness to affect the rest of your tenancy, so I would try to put this behind you and focus on settling in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? I think you going to get the same response from fair trading and the tenancy advocacy that you have been given here by PP.

You seem to be wasting a lot of energy of something that is quite minor in regards to breaches in terms of lease agreements. As PP has suggested, write a letter to the RE agent letting them know and to pass it in to the LL. You never know, the LL could be nice & apologise & offer you something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    So if a tenant had to vacate a property by midnight, they were to hand the keys in when the real estates office opened the next day and on their way they realised they left, say a phone charger in a power point for arguments sake, and stopped used the keys and grabbed it.....you think they should be charged an extra days rent?

You are being completely OTT. I hope you never planned to stay after this lease because if you continue with this refund of rent, professional cleaner for the toilet, threats from the office of fair trading path, I wouldn't be expecting a lease renewal to come your way.

For all you know they were airing the place out and trying to do a nice thing!
    You're being OTT. A PP asked what I thought should be done and I suggested a few solutions! I never called up my PM demanding them... far out!

I'm pretty sure i wouldn't want a lease renewal because clerly I don't take lightly to have my rights violated!

Renting is meant to be a 2 way street with rights and responsibilities on both sides. I know it wouldn't be tolerated if I didn't hold up my side of the agreement, so why tolerate breaches on the owners behalf!?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it really worth all the effort? Isnt your time worth me to you? Think ahead, if you make all this drama about basically nothing you aren't going to be given a good reference for your next rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would jusy change the locks, pour some bleach down the toilet and move on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by haveheart View Post
    I would jusy change the locks, pour some bleach down the toilet and move on.
    Changing the locks without permission is illegal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If the inside of the house had already been cleaned for handover then I don't think the landlords should be in there having a dump or whatever... Unless they are going to re-clean the toilet. Handing over a used/dirty toilet to a tenant is not cool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Changing the locks without permission is illegal.
    I always do it and I'm guessing a lot of other tenants do it too.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Lol

Dr Phil would call her ' a right fighter' honestly, it's too knackering being a right fighter.

Life's too short.
    lol, that's totally me too. Sigh.

Anyway OP I think they handled it poorly, if it were me I would have taken the opportunity to introduce myself to you, explained what I was doing and said sorry. Making a quick exit out the back just made it look awkward and dodge but you probably surprised each other. And your RE should know better and at least have given lip service to your concerns!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From NSW Fair trading

Security

Your landlord must provide and maintain locks or security devices to ensure that the premises are reasonably secure. What is reasonably secure will vary in different situations.

The likelihood the premises may be broken into will have a bearing on the type and standard of locks needed to make a property reasonably secure. This will depend largely on the area in which the premises are located. The level of security needed for a ground floor unit may be greater than for a unit on an upper level.

Your landlord does not have to make the property so secure that the premises can never be broken into. The requirements of insurance companies are not the sole test of what is 'reasonably secure', but are merely one factor to be taken into account.

You can change or add locks or security devices with the landlord's consent, or if it is reasonable to do so, such as in an emergency (eg. if the premises have been burgled and keys are missing or if your key breaks off in the lock). You will need to give the landlord a copy of the new key within seven days. If the premises are not reasonably secure, you should raise this matter with the landlord or agent as soon as possible.

So even if you did change the locks you would still have to provide them a key which would defeat the purpose. Honestly as its the first day of tenancy I think I would write it off as miscommunication between LL and Agent. They have both handled it badly with no apology but I wouldnt let it taint the rest of my tenancy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-10-2013)