+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That's not on. Ok they didn't know what time today you signed and got keys, but surely they could of dealt with stuff before today? If the gardens/house weren't ready to be moved into knowing you wanted to sign they should have told RE "keys can't be picked up until Tuesday as the garden and repairs are being undertaken". But then they couldn't charge rent for those 2 days It's incidences like this that make tenants feel railroaded and with no rights.

Our LL hardly ever fixes *anything*. But the very rare time he does, he comes around, WITH NO NOTICE, and follows the tradie around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I would make sure when u get the entry report to say floors were dirty and toilet etc we're dirty so when u leave if it's slightly dirty they can't take it out of your bond
    Oh, I will be. I'm just so annoyed! This will probably set the tone of the rest of the tenancy too. *sigh*

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a land lord and I have keys too all my properties. However, I would never just let myself in.

I fail to see what the big deal is here. You knew they were at the property doing yard work, using the toilet is hardly a breach of your privacy (although not flushing is icky).

It would have been a great opportunity to build a rapport with the LLs. From time to time I request inspections on my properties (generally after major repairs) and I love it when the tenants are there. It's a great opportunity to get a feel for the people living in my place. Those brief encounters can help if issues arise. I'm more flexible with personable and good tenants than ones who complain about everything and expect a lot but give little back.

Yes you are renting and have a right to quiet enjoyment but its their place not yours.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInPuddles View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, because you seem really upset about this. It's important that privacy is respected and your right to the property honoured....but I don't see what the big deal is? They own the property, are entitled to have a key to a property they own, were there doing agreed maintenance on the handover day, and entered to use the toilet.
    Not flushing is gross, but a different story.
    As an owner I would be pretty surprised if I ****ed someone off this much for using a toilet in a property I own before a tenant had moved in.

The thing is though as an owner if u want the right to enter your property you own don't rent it out even if it is to use the toilet. They know the rules and clearer broke them regardless how minor. We are very accommodating tenants and recently got railroaded with a major change to the property with only a months notice the only reason we don't move is we r building and awaiting to move in there. Owners have to understand if they rent it out then some of the rights to the property are gone don't like it don't invest in property

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Although it may not be the correct procedure, I wouldn't find an issue with that as you hadn't started moving in yet. It actually would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce yourself to the LLs and put a positive memory in their minds. I wouldn't take it any further, just be aware for the future that they have access.

As for the condition report, that's not okay. Write down as much as you can see (especially walls and floors) before the furniture goes in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post

Yes you are renting and have a right to quiet enjoyment but its their place not yours.
    It's a shame you feel that way, but sadly it seems most LL's think this way. I'm assuming the OP has given the LL's a pretty large sum of cash for the privilege of living in 'their' place. She has signed a legal agreement with them, which involves her paying her rent every fortnight and keeping the place nice and in return the LL's can't access the property without notice and have to fix things.

You are right, she has a right to quiet enjoyment, which includes not having the LL's access the property without approval or notice to dirty the toilet.

Despite what LL's like to make out - that they are doing the renter a favour, it's a symbiotic relationship. The LL makes a lot of money if they own outright or has their mortgage paid for them, while the renter gets somewhere to live. I wonder if the OP broke her end of the TA would you be saying get over it?
    Last edited by delirium; 12-10-2013 at 16:45.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (13-10-2013),Bubintummy  (13-10-2013),Cheese Please  (14-10-2013),ChickyBee  (12-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (12-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (13-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    The RE tried to make out because I only signed the lease today, the owners were therefore unaware of what time my lease started so they were pretty much within their right to enter the property.

Do you think there is actually anything I can do about it? We don't have form 11's or similar here. QLD's probably got a better system in that regards.

Honestly, that sounds fair enough about the owners being there. I honestly would just let that go if it happened to me, although I wouldn't be impressed about the toilet! They actually don't sound like too bad LL's to me- getting yard maintenance done (I wish ours did that!) and getting out as soon as they saw you were there. There may very well have been a miscommunication and they thought you were going to pick up the keys/ sign the lease later on in the day. I would do what a PP suggested and introduce myself and make a good first impression.

The inspection report I don't think is on. Get hold of the RE first thing Monday and chase that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Honestly, that sounds fair enough about the owners being there. I honestly would just let that go if it happened to me, although I wouldn't be impressed about the toilet! They actually don't sound like too bad LL's to me- getting yard maintenance done (I wish ours did that!) and getting out as soon as they saw you were there. There may very well have been a miscommunication and they thought you were going to pick up the keys/ sign the lease later on in the day. I would do what a PP suggested and introduce myself and make a good first impression.

The inspection report I don't think is on. Get hold of the RE first thing Monday and chase that one.
    I don't think it's ok at all! I can't believe the attitude of some people. I just paid a ridiculous amount of money to take vacant possession of the property from today.
    I said ok to the owners doing maintenance to the tiny court yard outside. Both owners were casually strolling around the inside of the property for absolutely no reason!
    They had no right to use my elecricity or water either as I am liable for it all from today!

I wonder if the police would do anything as they have essentially broken the law and trespassed!

Entry condition report has since been dumped at the back door so I think the RE relises the stuff up to some extent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It's a shame you feel that way, but sadly it seems most LL's think this way. I'm assuming the OP has given the LL's a pretty large sum of cash for the privilege of living in 'their' place. She has signed a legal agreement with them, which involves her paying her rent every fortnight and keeping the place nice and in return the LL's can't access the property without notice and have to fix things.

You are right, she has a right to quiet enjoyment, which includes not having the LL's access the property without approval or notice to dirty the toilet.

Despite what LL's like to make out - that they are doing the renter a favour, it's a symbiotic relationship. The LL makes a lot of money if they own outright or has their mortgage paid for them, while the renter gets somewhere to live. I wonder if the OP broke her end of the TA would you be saying get over it?
    Spot on! I wonder if the owners would just get over me not paying a few weeks rent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you WANT them to do about it?