+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I went to a private catholic primary and high school and loved it. I ended up with a BA in History and English and married a farmer and moved to the bush! I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. My bro did the same and he's a high school dep principal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    DH and I are both very successful lawyers and we both went to public schools. I think the school you attend is only one part of the equation.
    And seriously.... What grade 6/7 kid has chosen a career path? I have a masters and I went to a public school. DH went to an expensive private school and didn't go to uni but is doing ok in his career

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-10-2013),beebs  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read any replies. I went to public school it wasn't the best (a bot dodge) but it served its purpose. I went on to university and have a good career. I got where I am because of me. I had the drive to study and succeed. I don't think my school was a deciding factor at all. Probably what was more important was that I fell in with a good group of kids who had similar ideas. If I had fallen in with a riff raff crowd maybe things would have turned out differently ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to public school (3 different primary schools in 2 states and 1 high school all the way through) and my brother went private for high school. We're both well educated and have done well. We make good money, are smart with our money, have travelled/lived overseas and are motivated to better ourselves. I did better in the HSC and have a uni degree, he went to TAFE as he preferred the more practical approach - he went back and taught there for a while too. I'm now studying again while working part time, hopefully I'll have another degree under my belt and a career change in about 5yrs time.

DH and his siblings all went to a pretty dodgy public high school and between the 3 of them have 4 bachelor degrees, almost 2 masters and a number of other qualifications across fields in IT, business and medicine.

I agree that it really comes down to the child and the home environment when it comes to valuing education. DD will likely grow up with both DH and I studying at various times and we will raise her & any other kids we have to value education - not do they can be millionaires but to give them options and be the best they can be in whatever they do.

DD will go public primary, not sure about high school yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got to choose the schools we went to.

My brother- public, no career.
    Me- private, child care career (diploma qualified)
    My two younger sisters-public and both will be qualified veterinarians in a couple of weeks
    My twin sister- public, in the army as an aircraft engineer.

So definitely doesnt matter if you go to public or private- its all on what you take from school.

(I should add I have also owned two businesses as well- but have no further study)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I went to private school all the way through. I studied the international baccalaureate in yr 11/12 (not available at state schools) instead of vce, got into my first preference of uni courses and I am now a lawyer.

I imagine if I went to state schools I still would have studied law, although I'm not sure I would have gotten my first choice of uni and I might not have gotten straight in from year 12. For me it was definitely worth my parents' investment (although I had a scholarship so my parents only paid 1/2 fees, they still would have sent me if they had to pay full price).

Private school was about more than just getting into uni/career though. Even if I didn't go to uni, I would still consider it a good investment due to the performing arts program, the languages program, the advanced academic programs, the overseas exchange opportunities, etc.

I will be sending DD to private school for high school no matter what.
    One of the public schools here does the international baccalaureate and no private schools offer it.

Personally I think this issue is better based comparing local schools individually than the general public vs private debate. For reference both DH and I completed high school at a catholic schools, did the same degree and have worked similar jobs. Only difference was DH got a very low OP score which was more to do with his individual learning capacity then the school,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was for high school too- we all went to a catholic primary school.

My brother also went to a top boarding school for 3 years and it was the worst thing for him- got into alcohol and drugs

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Private schools also "select" their students, often asking for naplan results before accepting their application. And make children sit interviews.
    Asking for naplan results and interviewing a student and their family isn't remotely on par with the entry process for selective schools though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you, we don't have much choice here, it is either Catholic high school, one public or one private. The public kids are a bit rough and ready, you can see a lot of them skipping school a lot. But, if kids are good at sports, then that is the place to be, that school has an incredible sports program and a lot of soon to be pro sports people. The private school is stupidly expensive, the catholic school has had abuse issues in the past, not now - but I still feel that it's history is a little tainted.

I still don't know which I would choose, it depends on the child really, what they seem interested in etc.

At the moment DS1 goes to the public school nearby and it is lovely, they do all kinds of interesting things, learn violin, Japanese, body movement classes etc. I really like what it has done for him, and he likes the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    One of the public schools here does the international baccalaureate and no private schools offer it.

Personally I think this issue is better based comparing local schools individually than the general public vs private debate. For reference both DH and I completed high school at a catholic schools, did the same degree and have worked similar jobs. Only difference was DH got a very low OP score which was more to do with his individual learning capacity then the school,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was expelled From one public high school, urged to 'not return' to another, both public. I then had 6 months off before I finished high school with a pass. I now have a degree, three Dplomas (studied for them all) and am in a Masters Program. I work in Community Services and just got offered a three figure salary. I tell all of my young clients that school is not, the be all and end all of life. if you want something enough, you will get it.

In regards to my own son, I will seek out a school that I believe will suit him when he is of the age to start. I don't care if it's an elite private or the local public. When he starts primary I will then choose his high school based on what he chooses, as well as what he is interested in (e.g sports, or academics) and how we think he will go there. I will encourage education, though also to develop socially! And like my parents always said as long I try they were proud.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (12-10-2013)