+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    disagree with your last paragraph, for nsw anyway. In 2010, out of the top 10 schools in nsw, 8/10 were public. The top 8 positions are government schools.

http://www.university-list.net/Austr...ol-100015.html
    Given they are selective schools, you'd rather expect them to top the rankings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think support outside of school makes a huge difference. My mum was always on me about my school work/home work/assignments/studying for exams ... education was everything in my house.

Public school and now am a business analyst.

Hubby was also public and went to a selective public high school. He is a business development manager. We both have pay scales over $120k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I went to private school all the way through. I studied the international baccalaureate in yr 11/12 (not available at state schools) instead of vce, got into my first preference of uni courses and I am now a lawyer.
    The state high school near us in Melbourne offered international baccalaureate. I think quite a few state school have it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Given they are selective schools, you'd rather expect them to top the rankings.
    Yep, but if I was paying $30kper annum for my child to attend a private school, I'd expect them to be at the top. They don't just take anybody at private schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me my kids going to the private school they do is not all about the education they'll receive but about a lot of other things. Eg high schools here don't have uniforms and what you see the kids wearing to school is atrocious. Cleavage, butt cheeks. I want them to wear a uniform. My younger brother goes there..he's 14..and the school let my dad and step mum know when he started hanging around a kid who was often in trouble. Just so they where aware. In grade 10 the kids can get flying lessons. My brother is about to go to china to represent the school in a youth conference. Etc etc. I think the these opportunities are important in helping shape the young person. Even if they don't become drs and Lawyers. For the record I went public and, got a very low HSC , applied to uni at 21. Did an entrance test and niw I'm a nurse. If I wanted I could be earning over $100000 a year ( but chose not to as those types ofvjobs are to stressful right now). My sister, public school, has a uni degree in dancing works in fitness. Two other brothers private schools both lawyers BUT did not apply themselves at school and had to re sit entrance exams getting in as mature age. My kids school is a Montessori school though and that is one of the biggest selling points for me. ( I have not read all posts not sure if a debate is happening. ...yet!).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    For me my kids going to the private school they do is not all about the education they'll receive but about a lot of other things. Eg high schools here don't have uniforms and what you see the kids wearing to school is atrocious. Cleavage, butt cheeks. I want them to wear a uniform. My younger brother goes there..he's 14..and the school let my dad and step mum know when he started hanging around a kid who was often in trouble. Just so they where aware. In grade 10 the kids can get flying lessons. My brother is about to go to china to represent the school in a youth conference. Etc etc. I think the these opportunities are important in helping shape the young person. Even if they don't become drs and Lawyers. For the record I went public and, got a very low HSC , applied to uni at 21. Did an entrance test and niw I'm a nurse. If I wanted I could be earning over $100000 a year ( but chose not to as those types ofvjobs are to stressful right now). My sister, public school, has a uni degree in dancing works in fitness. Two other brothers private schools both lawyers BUT did not apply themselves at school and had to re sit entrance exams getting in as mature age. My kids school is a Montessori school though and that is one of the biggest selling points for me. ( I have not read all posts not sure if a debate is happening. ...yet!).

I thought Montessori didn't wear uniforms either?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, but if I was paying $30kper annum for my child to attend a private school, I'd expect them to be at the top. They don't just take anybody at private schools.
    Well they will pretty much take anyone who can pay lol. I was asking my mum how I could be sure DD would get a place at my old school, she said "make a large donation to the building fund"..!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought Montessori didn't wear uniforms either?
    Our school does. Maybe some don't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Our school does. Maybe some don't?

i thought Montessori promoted independence and choice? To me it goes against what Montessori means and their philosophy?