+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to private school all the way through. I studied the international baccalaureate in yr 11/12 (not available at state schools) instead of vce, got into my first preference of uni courses and I am now a lawyer.

I imagine if I went to state schools I still would have studied law, although I'm not sure I would have gotten my first choice of uni and I might not have gotten straight in from year 12. For me it was definitely worth my parents' investment (although I had a scholarship so my parents only paid 1/2 fees, they still would have sent me if they had to pay full price).

Private school was about more than just getting into uni/career though. Even if I didn't go to uni, I would still consider it a good investment due to the performing arts program, the languages program, the advanced academic programs, the overseas exchange opportunities, etc.

I will be sending DD to private school for high school no matter what.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    I think that of all the factors that impact on future employment/success the type of school is the least important. More influential factors are the child's ability, their motivation, parent support and parent belief in the importance of education.

I went to a public school with a poor reputation but it was always assumed by my parents that I would go to uni. My friends at school were the more academically inclined students. From my friendship group we have; a dietician, pharmacist, psychologist, high school teacher, accountant and an anaesthetist.

That said my DD will be going to a private school but only because DH is Catholic and wants our children to go to a Catholic school.

Personally, if I were in your position I would be inclined to use the money for tertiary education rather than a private secondary school. And also making sure you reinforce the importance of education, listening to teachers, completing schoolwork and doing the best they can.
    Oh that last part is a given in my home anyway. Considering I'm a teacher myself and a private tutor my boys will be fully informed on the importance of eduction and their own personal effort required to achieve.

It's not until I moved to this town where there is only one choice of public high schooling that it even crossed my mind consider the private sector.

I'm a state school teacher. I don't buy into the 'better education at a private school' mantra as I know at least where I'm from all the highest performing graduates in my cohort were given jobs in the public system and my friends who achieved much lower where offered positions in high fee private schools. (Obviously not always the case). But I think the fact that private schools have an opportunity to select their students and excluded those with behaviour problems would most definitely allow my sons to learn with fewer distractions.

It's a tough one which I guess will be easier to assess closer to them entering secondary schooling and my decision will be based of their individual needs. I'm still reading through these posts and finding it really interesting reading.

Thank you so much to all of you who have contributed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Beachside Mumma  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I honestly think your kids should be fine at either, all the kids of teachers I went to school with did well in school and in life, I attribute this to school being merely a tool and parents often having the biggest influence over their children's development and learning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    NO WHERE!!!
    Public school...left end of 1st term year 12 (never graduated). Bummed around for 6 months, fell into a chef apprenticeship and am now a qualified chef. I make my own hours/pay and couldnt be happier with my qualifications/experience.

Funny thing is when i was in high school i HATED home ec and cooking!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I have a friend who is a primary school teacher in the public system (also went to public school) and her spelling is atrocious. The high school I went to felt like a waste of time. Too many kids approx. 1300, too many kids who mucked about.
    Oh me too!! I work with one. She went to a private boarding school though. I cringe every time I see her blackboard. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    NO WHERE!!!
    Public school...left end of 1st term year 12 (never graduated). Bummed around for 6 months, fell into a chef apprenticeship and am now a qualified chef. I make my own hours/pay and couldnt be happier with my qualifications/experience.

Funny thing is when i was in high school i HATED home ec and cooking!!!!
    Haha ... It's funny sometimes how things work out hey??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I went to private school all the way through. I studied the international baccalaureate in yr 11/12 (not available at state schools) instead of vce, got into my first preference of uni courses and I am now a lawyer.

I imagine if I went to state schools I still would have studied law, although I'm not sure I would have gotten my first choice of uni and I might not have gotten straight in from year 12. For me it was definitely worth my parents' investment (although I had a scholarship so my parents only paid 1/2 fees, they still would have sent me if they had to pay full price).

Private school was about more than just getting into uni/career though. Even if I didn't go to uni, I would still consider it a good investment due to the performing arts program, the languages program, the advanced academic programs, the overseas exchange opportunities, etc.

I will be sending DD to private school for high school no matter what.
    I am being a little ignorant in terms of completely knowing what the schools here in question offer so I'll also need to investigate that closer to the time too I think. The program's offered that you've mentioned sound fantastic, are they not offered in the public system?

Thanks
    Reviews
    School (highly rated public school) got me nowhere, determination did.

I am a highschool (year 9) drop out who is now in her first year of Uni with a distinction average.

I am am a believer that the school doesn't matter, that homelife, attitude and determination are what really matter.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went to a public primary and private high school.

The public school really established my love of learning. I have very fond memories of primary school. I love high school too, but I think I would have done well at any school. The rigid structure of high school worked really well for me but not so well for others.

Dp went public all the way (selective high school). We are both on par intelligence wise, but she has more tertiary quals than me, and works in a government job; I worked as a nanny (but have finished and will be a sahm for a while)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to an exclusive all girls private school, I'm a 20 year old SAHM and wouldn't have it any other way.

In saying that, I want DS in a private high school.