+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This might interest you BT&M

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1226726249081

I believe in different schools for different kids. That said I recently saw Pasi Sahlberg present a keynote on Finlands system (they have excellent Pisa result, best overallI think) and was really taken with their equity over choice values. There is no option to buy a better education.
    I've read about the Finnish system, it sounds amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to an average public school. I've now got a Masters in Engineering and earn in excess of $150k pa. In my opinion the support that you get at home is as important as the school. There will be good and bad teachers in both public and private schools, but if you put in the effort then you can achieve what you want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I went to public schools and I can't say my schooling got me anywhere.

My primary school had a reputation for producing year 7 students, ready to embark on high school, who had the most appauling literacy skills.

My high school was a pretty bad one. You were definitely nothing more than a number there.
    I think that's the key difference between private and public? Private schools have reputations to uphold so they have to be proactive and tend to students needs and address issues. If the bulk of students were failing in literacy for example, it couldn't just be brushed aside like public schools do. It would have to be addressed or the reputation of the school would be tarnished, potentially hindering future enrolments.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I've read about the Finnish system, it sounds amazing!
    They really have an awesome approach to investment in people, collaboration over competition and equity over choice with education. Kids also don't start school until 7 and to be a mother is highly valued. He said its not only what their school system is doing but what their society is doing overall which impacts their results.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You said you went private and all your school friends have good spelling and grammar, I said my experience is opposite, the majority of people I know who went private have terrible spelling and grammar, the guy I spoke about is a standout in that group!
    Ok I wasn't sure as you quoted my whole post and went on to talk about jobs/careers saying what I said...

I do still find that surprising though, as I've also noticed better grammar in private school educated people in general. Even on this forum when people reveal their own schooling I'm often not surprised many of the regular posters here who write very well were privately educated. I can't speak for schools these days though, I have no idea regarding their focus on grammar/speaking and writing well - I went to school 20 years ago!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know that I would regard money spent on a child's education as being wasted because they went on to become 'just' an XYZ.

I tend to consider school education as helping lay the foundations for the adult a child will become - rather than just about ensuring a career.

If my daughter leaves school with a well rounded education I'll consider that the mark of whether any money I spent on it was worth it. As opposed to judging based on her chosen career. Or lack thereof.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (12-10-2013),Pina Colada  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend who is a primary school teacher in the public system (also went to public school) and her spelling is atrocious. The high school I went to felt like a waste of time. Too many kids approx. 1300, too many kids who mucked about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I don't know that I would regard money spent on a child's education as being wasted because they went on to become 'just' an XYZ.

I tend to consider school education as helping lay the foundations for the adult a child will become - rather than just about ensuring a career.

If my daughter leaves school with a well rounded education I'll consider that the mark of whether any money I spent on it was worth it. As opposed to judging based on her chosen career. Or lack thereof.
    Yes, I was just coming in to say similar.

I'm don't think you can judge the 'value' of an education based on the career path followed (and subsequent $'s earned).

If my children come away from high school with a well rounded education, safe and happy, having had a great range of experiences and opportunities and a good sense of who they are and what they want, then I will be very happy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh went to a public high school and definitely was to his detriment. He was not pushed up achieve his potential in the classroom at all. Now as an adult he is in the defense force with a low ranking as he is simply unable to progress further due to his lack of education.

For a bright mind and his quick thinking skills its a tragedy. He as an adult has poor English written skills and is often grammatically incorrect.

I went to private schools and finished my degree and have been working as a scientist since graduating (minus mat leave). I would have been ok at a public school as I have inner drive to learn but for those that don't - a smaller more attentive school would be better. Public or private.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both, I found the public schooling more inclusive of my diverse learning style, but the private school instilled better values.