+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Do you know why they had to rezone? Because people like your family moving into the area meaning school is at its capacity, making it difficult to accommodate all in the area. And you know what, they still accept siblings if they were rezoned to the schools listed in the article.

Again, you're not the only one who knows how to research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to a private school for years 5,6 and 7 so I would say I was a public school student for the most part. I coasted through. Did enough to get by unnoticed. I left school- did nothing much, and went back to TAFE when I was 21 and than onto UNI. I have just finished my degree and will go back and do my CPA next year.

I also think it depends on both the child and the school. I would prefer DS go to
    the selective public school or a private high school because I think he has the type of personality that will find him in trouble in years to come.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You keep changing the goalposts, BigRed. You refute the points made by other people, leaving little picky remarks that have no foundation in fact and when evidence is shown to you which clearly places your facts as opinion, you then run off on another tangent. This isn't helpful.

The point for my earlier post as you appear to have missed it was to refute your claim that testing and ranking was not carried out in NSW. You then mentioned a school I alluded to but did not actually name and incorrectly assumed that I'd declared that only local students were enrolled. When this again was refuted, you now point the finger of accusation at my family blaming it for the school's capacity (lol) and have now jumped on the rezoning bandwagon. If you actually read the article posted, you would have clearly read that priority is also given to local students and that there is a catchment area for this school.

Whether you agree with ISCEA is irrelevant. The fact is that it exists and is how the NSW system is ranked. Whether I agree with the efficacy or existence of NAPLAN or not is irrelevant. The fact is that it is the tool used to determine the level of education being achieved in the majority of the country's education systems. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I'm fully aware why the school was rezoned. It happens to a lot of schools. Worryingly, there's now a trend to create "super schools" due to the government's unwillingness to address capacity issues. However, you don't seem to picking up on the idea that this thread is about where education gets a person and what people want for their children and not about what you think is happening in the public and private education system.

At the end of the day, it matters to me where I send my child to be educated. We did consider home schooling for a hot minute but feel the govt education system is a better option for us. Either way, it's not about getting on the soapbox and preaching about where that may be. And apart from that, I am also finding the other posters' comments about their experiences at school really interesting and insightful. Certainly nothing to argue about or pick on.
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 17-10-2013 at 14:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I went to Newtown PA they did not accept out of area unless you got in for the arts. Similar to a part selective I suppose, except it was arts heavy and very few local area students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    [Text deleted by Moderator]

Happy wanderer has contradicted herself quite a few times, and been challenged on them, but they've been ignored.
    [Text deleted by Moderator]

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...309-1bn3m.html

@beebs yes, I knew it was selective for the arts. According to the article it is 60/40 with enrolments.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 15-10-2013 at 13:24. Reason: Not in the spirit of bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a private girls' school and now am studying law, and working as a project officer in government on an average wage.

My partner went to a public school in Scotland and earns more than me as a Senior Finance Manager.

Once I graduate we'll probably earn similar wages so I don't think that the public or private schooling has mattered. That said, as a woman I definitely appreciate the feminist focus that my school had.

I think it comes down more parenting style and the individual's focus. My DP's parents pushed him to study and succeed financially and they paid his way through university (sent him to Europe to get his degree). Now they expect him to hold down a jobs at a certain level as a result of their 'investment'. I think that is unfair sometimes because I am proud of his achievements and want him to be happy, not a cash cow.

On the flipside my parents were very liberal and constantly told me that I was smart and could do anything I wanted. I had excellent grades but never had much direction so I can also see the benefit in parenting style that pushes kids to focus.

I hope DP and I can find a nice middle ground!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bambipickle For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yeah, probably. Does it have an amazing kitchen garden and massive day fair once a year? Houses are ridiculously expensive in that suburb anyway, it is quite full on, I remember when it was a dive
    The K-2 one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nooo, Erko. Do you mean Australia St? I went there.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The K-2 one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Nooo, Erko. Do you mean Australia St? I went there.
    Oh wow - I hadn't heard of that compared to the others around!

But yes, I meant Australia St. The catchment area for that is v tiny now. Did you like it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I loved it, but it was a long time ago. The thing I didn't like was having to go to a new primary when everyone else had been together since kindy. I always felt "new" even though I started there in the beginning of year 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Oh wow - I hadn't heard of that compared to the others around!

But yes, I meant Australia St. The catchment area for that is v tiny now. Did you like it?