+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The Qld system also takes into account the school and the school's 'ranking' and past performances.

The school I went to was brand new and we were the first lot of year 12s through (and one of the first years to do the QCS I think) and because of that no 1s were allocated, despite students with high-handed VHA averages and As on the QCS.

Schools with an established academic record got plenty of 1s with students with the same marks.

It really is an odd system. The QCS test itself is fine and relatively simple, but how it gets applied to other marks and the school ranking is where it because far less simple.

I'm not sure how it works in comparison to the HSC?
    There is no test of any sort in nsw like that. Schools are not ranked on past performances, or ranked at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    How does the HSC work in NSW? Does every single year 12 student have to sit it regardless of what subjects they have taken?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How does the HSC work in NSW? Does every single year 12 student have to sit it regardless of what subjects they have taken?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Every subject has a test

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a public primary school in the inner west in Sydney, that is so good and so popular, that they now only take students from their "zone" which is two streets on each 4 sides of school. People move purposely to those streets to get their kids into the school, they almost never come up and the houses have become so over inflated in price it is ridiculous - all that for a pokey ol no hope public school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There is a public primary school in the inner west in Sydney, that is so good and so popular, that they now only take students from their "zone" which is two streets on each 4 sides of school. People move purposely to those streets to get their kids into the school, they almost never come up and the houses have become so over inflated in price it is ridiculous - all that for a pokey ol no hope public school.
    If it is the one I am thinking of people also go to extreme lengths to pretend they live in the zone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, probably. Does it have an amazing kitchen garden and massive day fair once a year? Houses are ridiculously expensive in that suburb anyway, it is quite full on, I remember when it was a dive

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    If it is the one I am thinking of people also go to extreme lengths to pretend they live in the zone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the explanation. With regard to your marks being set against the rest of the class... I can't comment on past processes as it has changed so much over the year, but that's not how it's done currently. A student's mark IS ranked, but it's against all other students in the state. So year on year, the TER may differ slightly for the exact same marks. TER is NOT brought down (or up) by other students within the class or school though.
    Yes it is. Students are ranked publicly in state assessed subjects. Students are ranked in class when the subject is school assessed (aka "non Authority" subjects).
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 15-10-2013 at 08:59. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no test of any sort in nsw like that. Schools are not ranked on past performances, or ranked at all.
    They most certainly are. The ICSEA (Index of Community Socio Educational Advantage) is one method whereby a similar process to Nancy Blackett describes is carried out on each school in NSW.

Real estate agents also use it to boost their sales pitch.

My cousin attends a performing arts high school in Newton (Sydney) and her parents moved to be able to get her in. I'm not sure I'd go to those lengths but they swear blind it's been worth it. Again, all our needs are so different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    They most certainly are. The ICSEA (Index of Community Socio Educational Advantage) is one method whereby a similar process to Nancy Blackett describes is carried out on each school in NSW.

Real estate agents also use it to boost their sales pitch.

My cousin attends a performing arts high school in Newton (Sydney) and her parents moved to be able to get her in. I'm not sure I'd go to those lengths but they swear blind it's been worth it. Again, all our needs are so different.
    When I said test, I meant exam as that is what the pp was saying. Students do not sit a test. And I wouldn't give much credence to the icsea.

Also, Newtown accept students from out of area.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 15-10-2013 at 09:29.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BigRed, again you confuse your opinion with fact. I did not say that Newtown School of Performing Arts did not accept children out of its catchment area. However, being within the catchment area can increase one's chances of successfully enrolling.

One act that would reveal all to you and something that is easily done which would prevent you from having to constantly attempt to correct me: research Which I have done.

Here's something to help you along.