+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It just seems with these particular public primary schools the teachers just don't communicate with the parents? They seem to wait until parent/teacher interviews to let the parents know of any problems, they both work so they don't pick up the kids or see the teacher weekly whereas my friends with kids in private primary schools get weekly emails - just a few lines to let them know how their child has been that week - I get it that teachers are busy but why is it that the private school ones seem to have more time to communicate or seem to care more ?
    Sounds like an issue with the teacher here.

On the flip side I have many friends who teach in private schools. They do no email weekly themselves. Sound like your SIL went from one extreme to another and struck it lucky with this teacher.

I'd hate for you to think public teachers don't care. I'm extremely passionate about my job and care tremendously for the children in my class. I've spent many many nights stressing and devising actions to take as I'm worried about a child in my class and I put hours into prep and spend a lot of my own money on these children. I'd hate to think that because I didn't send a weekly email it meant I didn't care.

Hopefully your SIL isn't disappointed if next year with a new teacher the emails stop.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 14-10-2013 at 15:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The top 8 performing schools in 2012 were all public. Sure they are mostly fully selective, but that shows me that people should be aiming to get their kids into public selective schools if they want their kids to perform well academically.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    It's both the school and public system.
    This is why, for a lot of people, the private system is so attractive.

For me though, it's not a matter of blaming but being informed enough to take the appropriate action and for me that means ensuring it doesn't happen to my child.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    The top 8 performing schools in 2012 were all public. Sure they are mostly fully selective, but that shows me that people should be aiming to get their kids into public selective schools if they want their kids to perform well academically.
    there are parents in our area who actually hire tutors to coach kids in 4/5/6th class to pass the selective schools exams for high school- these schools are highly competitive - which is great if your child is maybe naturally gifted but for the average child I think its way to much pressure , especially primary school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is kind of my point. Not all kids are going to be academically gifted, regardless of if they go to private schools or not. Even just in this thread, I feel there sounds like there is going to be a lot of pressure put on kids to succeed and most of our kids aren't even out of primary yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    there are parents in our area who actually hire tutors to coach kids in 4/5/6th class to pass the selective schools exams for high school- these schools are highly competitive - which is great if your child is maybe naturally gifted but for the average child I think its way to much pressure , especially primary school

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That is kind of my point. Not all kids are going to be academically gifted, regardless of if they go to private schools or not. Even just in this thread, I feel there sounds like there is going to be a lot of pressure put on kids to succeed and most of our kids aren't even out of primary yet.
    For what it's worth that wasn't my intention when starting this thread. I was just wanting people's personal experiences. I'm saving money towards my boys future education regardless and whether is goes on high school or uni I'm unsure at this stage.

I do know though that I won't be splashing cash at them for nothing. If they choose to do an apprenticeship or what have you in the future I'd be happy to contribute towards the tools/supplies needed.

It won't go to them as 'use however you want' money. If anyone is going on a holiday with the money saved it will be me. I also won't be contributing large wads towards a wedding either. But that's probably all good stuff for a spin off thread

(Sorry if my post doesn't make sense or has typos... I've just had surgery and I'm in hospital high on meds!!) lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-10-2013),Muzzamum  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to a public school - an absolutely SHOCKING one. I currently have a degree in psychology and a post graduate degree in primary teaching. At the end of the day if you have a child who is academically gifted or very good at motivating themselves then the school isn't going to matter too much. If your child struggles at school or lacks self motivation then you need a school that offers good support program's within the normal timetable. The main thing for a struggling child would be a school where they won't feel as if they are at the bottom of the class and likely to be demoralised, with a gifted child you'd be better off sending them somewhere they will be pushed. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of public vs private because you can have amazing (and rubbish) teachers and schools in both systems. I know i'll be using the public system myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I have already outlined what I feel is a proper education for my child in my first post. It's quite clear by what you've written that you haven't done your research. Irrespective of what your opinion is, however valued, the facts - as we have discovered via our map to ground research - are very different to what you feel is happening out there.

In addition, whether you consider "small Catholic schools as private" (not sure why you felt the need to single out this particular type of school) is irrelevant: the fact is that they are a part of what is considered to be the "private system" in Australia and interestingly enough we found a few that actually charged more than some of the larger scale institutions that we found

Not all schools actually participate in NAPLAN either. This isn't widely advertised as the government is dead keen to get and keep everyone on board but it's coming apart at the seams and with good reason. It's not working. In addition, the online publication is unreliable, a fact that has been admitted by the Dept of Ed, and provides all the more reason for parents to base their research on face-to-face queries rather than clicking a mouse.

I hasten to add, too, lest the inference is made to the contrary, that my husband and I do not advocate that public is better than private or vice versa. Our decisions for what we feel is best for our children are based on what we find on the ground, asking questions, requesting prospectuses, speaking to other parents whose children at this school or that school, speaking to teachers (inside and outside the family), attending open days and principal's tours etc.

I am also in agreement with those who say that a good education isn't everything in that you can still achieve. True but I'd still like to give my kids the best start I can possibly afford.
    Your posts are contradictory. In your first post in this thread you said that the cost is far less than was being spoken about, now you say some charged more.

I have never judged a school on naplan. My child is starting school next year, and if I was judging the school we have chosen on naplan results, I'd be in trouble, because it's mostly in the red, but I don't care, that doesn't bother me. You're not the only one whose research extended further than clicking a mouse.

No need to get so offended by my opinion on catholic schools not being private. I said it was just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh gosh, I'd forgotten about that, Wanna! Happened to me at high school too.
    I hated it. Worked my *** off only to be hindered by deadbeats.

We also had a quota system too for certain students where they immediately gained marks on account of their circumstances and were exempt from some aspects of the school year. Totally unfair and utterly bewildering. Could never understand it.
    I thought you said in another thread you went to selective high school? Was it a catholic school?

In NSW, your results are yours. You are not dragged down or picked up by others. The only thing that works in your favour is choosing more "academic" subjects or picking up extra units.

I did hear that Tony Abbott may increase marks for students who study languages in the hsc as the participation level in those subjects has plummeted.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 14-10-2013 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    BRV, the local catholic high school for boys I would consider private, it is 4 and a half a year which isn't that much, but when you have 4 boys, then it kind of is, that is $18,000 per year. Not sure what discounts will apply.

I am also interested in all these stories of bad public schools, the way this thread reads is that there are no good public schools at all. I went to a few high schools because I wasn't cut out for school, and none of them were bad, or had bad reps or anything. They were all academically good, one was a top performing arts school and they were all in different areas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

No need to get so offended by my opinion on catholic schools not being private. I said it was just my opinion.
    I agree. I never include catholic schools when thinking about private schools.