+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In our area private is hands down better than public, some private schools around here have 10 year wait lists for high school
    Having a 10 year waiting list doesn't mean a school is better IMO... a school would change a lot in the 10 years your child's name moves up that list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Does the waiting list mean it's better. I think I know which suburb you live and can't imagine the schools there are that bad???

They are - my sister moved here last year and put my niece ( now 4th class ) into the local public primary as it used to have a good reputation but the principal left and she hates it , they are very obsessed in Naplan so unless your in classes 3 or 5 forget about it , there is a lot of bullying and the class rooms are those old de mountable buildings and falling apart , so far this year 4 kids have left her class to private schools - she has her interview this week to get her into a private school at Hurstville so cross fingers she gets in! The feeder high school is the one DH went to, they had a stabbing in the playground first term this year and it has a quite a known drug problem

The other primary school near our office is just as bad - my SIL is taking her girls out next year - one example is one daughter got a detention as she hit another boy - the teacher said it was inevitable as they tease her daily ( she has Aspergers) um thanks for telling us sooner or doing something about it !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sounds like a problem with a particular teacher if 4 kids have left one class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read every post, so don't know whether this has been mentioned...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/private-schools-no-guarantee-of-higher-naplan-scores-study-finds-20131012-2vf63.html

Edit: comparison of something reasonably simplistic, but that's what so many people will use to judge school etc. I guess the point is that despite the common perception, there's no evidence that private schooling = better outcomes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I haven't read every post, so don't know whether this has been mentioned...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/private-schools-no-guarantee-of-higher-naplan-scores-study-finds-20131012-2vf63.html

Edit: comparison of something reasonably simplistic, but that's what so many people will use to judge school etc. I guess the point is that despite the common perception, there's no evidence that private schooling = better outcomes
    I see where you are coming from with this post, but I don't give too much credit to naplan and don't believe parents should either.

The article did raise some interesting points.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It just seems with these particular public primary schools the teachers just don't communicate with the parents? They seem to wait until parent/teacher interviews to let the parents know of any problems, they both work so they don't pick up the kids or see the teacher weekly whereas my friends with kids in private primary schools get weekly emails - just a few lines to let them know how their child has been that week - I get it that teachers are busy but why is it that the private school ones seem to have more time to communicate or seem to care more ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if the parents want to know, they can always call up the school and ask the teacher? I call daycare at least once a day asking about my baby.

I think the teacher should've said something before it got to that stage, but I don't see the general lack of communication you mention as a lack of caring. Perhaps they could set up a communication book? I've done this in the past. Every school would send out regular newsletters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I see where you are coming from with this post, but I don't give too much credit to naplan and don't believe parents should either.

The article did raise some interesting points.
    Completely agree. I'm a teacher, and it bugs me no end when people use NAPLAN as a good measure of outcomes.

The point of linking it was simply that evidence doesn't back up the idea that private education is inherently better. That article refers to one aspect of current evidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BigRedV declared: The figures spoken about in this threadare the fees of exclusive private schools that run for profit. I don't considersmall catholic schools as private.

I think you'll also find that private schools would place more emphasis onnaplan considering results are public on my school website for all to see.

I have already outlined what I feel is a proper education for my child in my first post. It's quite clear by what you've written that you haven't done your research. Irrespective of what your opinion is, however valued, the facts - as we have discovered via our map to ground research - are very different to what you feel is happening out there.

In addition, whether you consider "small Catholic schools as private" (not sure why you felt the need to single out this particular type of school) is irrelevant: the fact is that they are a part of what is considered to be the "private system" in Australia and interestingly enough we found a few that actually charged more than some of the larger scale institutions that we found

Not all schools actually participate in NAPLAN either. This isn't widely advertised as the government is dead keen to get and keep everyone on board but it's coming apart at the seams and with good reason. It's not working. In addition, the online publication is unreliable, a fact that has been admitted by the Dept of Ed, and provides all the more reason for parents to base their research on face-to-face queries rather than clicking a mouse.

I hasten to add, too, lest the inference is made to the contrary, that my husband and I do not advocate that public is better than private or vice versa. Our decisions for what we feel is best for our children are based on what we find on the ground, asking questions, requesting prospectuses, speaking to other parents whose children at this school or that school, speaking to teachers (inside and outside the family), attending open days and principal's tours etc.

I am also in agreement with those who say that a good education isn't everything in that you can still achieve. True but I'd still like to give my kids the best start I can possibly afford.

SassyMummy wrote: I think some of my teachers would be disappointed to discover that instead of becoming something grand, I am a beauty therapist.
    Nothing wrong with being a beauty therapist. At all!

Last edited by happy wanderer; 14-10-2013 at 14:51. Reason: fixed up that quote thingy

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I'd gone to the private school in our town then I would have gotten a high enough OP to get into medicine as they only let certain students be OP-eligible.

Instead I went to the public school and had my marks dragged down by the lower performing students who didn't care.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (14-10-2013)