+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^ I'm an author of 3 published books and I never went to uni. Just felt like writing a story one day- so I did it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolier For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-10-2013),happy wanderer  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    ^ I'm an author of 3 published books and I never went to uni. Just felt like writing a story one day- so I did it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Ooh, feel like sharing the titles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I was unaware that religious high schools were excluded from this thread. For me public is state run and private are the rest.

I would probably send our girls to the best co ed catholic high school we could access easily. But should one of them have an amazing skill or ability that requires outside tutors, lessons etc then I will do whatever it takes to provide for them.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    i didn't say they were excluded, I just don't really consider them to be private. Jmo.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've been thinking about this thread and topic generally. I think what gets my back up is the notion that private is automatically better than a public education. I loved my public school and what it offered me. I've never assumed though that public is always better than private and it gets my back up when people assume the opposite.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-10-2013),beebs  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There are the normal local Catholic schools ( average in our area about $2000 pa) and then there are private Catholic schools ( Kincople in Rose Bay is $25,000 pa)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread and topic generally. I think what gets my back up is the notion that private is automatically better than a public education. I loved my public school and what it offered me. I've never assumed though that public is always better than private and it gets my back up when people assume the opposite.
    In our area private is hands down better than public, some private schools around here have 10 year wait lists for high school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    10 year waiting list. Jeez. And 25,000 per year, that is ludicrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In our area private is hands down better than public, some private schools around here have 10 year wait lists for high school
    Last edited by beebs; 13-10-2013 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I went to a public primary school then changed to the OC (opportunity class) at a different public school.

Then I went on to a selective high school (completely selective). I haven't looked at BRV's list but I remember it being up the top when I went.

We were under the impression that you had to go to uni to succeed so I did even though I knew it wasn't what I wanted and ended up only doing 1 yr before leaving and now I'm a SAHM.

I would love for my kids to go to the same high school as me because they would have access to great things however I will make sure they know that it doesn't reflect all schools. I was under a lot of stress at school thinking I was failing when in reality I was doing well. If I had been at a public high school I would have been at the top.

Back to topic, I think education is important but I will choose their school based on the school not whether it is public or private. There are a lot of private schools around us that I would never send my kids to!

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Does the waiting list mean it's better. I think I know which suburb you live and can't imagine the schools there are that bad???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I finished year 12. I did both primary and high school at a public school. Looking back I was a bad student. I wagged a lot of classes went to a lot parties. I loved my sport classes and always elected to do sport classes throughout high school. I have never been very "academic".

In year 11, I started a school based apprenticeship in hairdressing after working in the salon for 2 years. I was 14 when I started working in the salon a few hours a week. I learnt alot from that job. Dealing with people on a personal level. It was a small salon(not in a shopping center) the clients were regular. I learnt so much about peoples lives. How diverse everyone is. Working there made me a more well rounded person.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is school is not "everything". Also it depends on the child not all children are academic.

(I quit my apprenticeship as the salon changed owners and we had a falling out with new management. I have now worked for the government for nearly 5 years).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app