+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @beebs I agree with you but I was raised with the view that if you have a degree or a qualification of some sort you'll always have something to fall back on while you do other things (like travel, or be a SAHM for a while, or whatever). Obviously it depends on what qualification you get as some are less useful tha others, but I've always found it easy to get work as a lawyer even after considerable breaks from the profession. My siblings had nursing to fall back on and my deceased brother was a journalist. I guess for me I'd worry how my kids were going to pay the bills etc if they had nothing to go back to. DD1 is showing a strong leaning to artistic fields not academic which is a head spin for DH and I but we'll support her no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Same, my cousin and his wife sent their 3 kids to a really nice private school and bought a house they couldn't afford in an area they coulnd't afford, so they both had to work two jobs and both 7 days a week.

That is no kind of family life, it is actually quite sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I agree with FL. If we ever end up having another, neither of them will go to private school as we couldn't afford $60k out of post tax salary (likely more by the time they actually would go).

I'd also spent my money on a house in an area with a good public school if possible. At least then it's an investment (in dollar terms).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I honestly don't think you can discount the rankings, even if they are selective. The top 8 schools last year were all public, and some were only partially selective. They were all public. So a 45,000 education is not going to get you in the top 8. What a waste of money, especially if you are in areas close to those schools.

The other thing I am finding on this thread, is the be all and end all of academic education. What is that about? Some of the most influential people on this planet aren't academic, I place a lot of weight on the arts and that type of thing though. I know everyone doesn't. But I don't automatically think someone is better just because they are academic.
    I completely grew that academic results aren't the be all and end all. I said that earlier. I think just that you can't use results for selective schools and use them as indicative of all public schools.

As I said earlier though, I don't see money spent on education as being wasted so long as the child benefits from it and emerges as a well rounded, thoughtful and broad minded individuals.

I don't think a private education is the be all and end all - far from it. And unless a particular school offered something specific for a child of mine I wouldn't dream of slaving 'just' for the sake of sending my child there.

That being said, the cost of senior schooling at an elite school in Sydney is the same as full time Childcare in the city. And that's taking into account the rebate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No they aren't, Baulkham Hills in partially selective and that ranked 5th last year.
    Haha my apologies for the 7am googling mistake!

And I haven't seen last year's list. I'd be interested in it.

Eta: Baulkham Hills is full selective. I just double checked.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 14-10-2013 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was raised with that too Sonja. But I was a creative type and my mum an academic type, although as soon as she realised she did encourage the creative - she still wanted me to do a degree though.

A lot of the arts do have degrees, like fine arts, dance, film making, music etc. To be good at any type of art, you have to dedicate you life to it, just like everything else. And you can make money from it - obviously hard to make it huge (who'd want to do that anyway), but if you are good enough, you can make a living from it.

My DS has a degree and is a musician (which is how we met), I do not have a degree - but am currently doing one (better late than never). I think that with creative types, we usually get there in the end.

For about 15 years I lived, breathed and slept music, there was nothing else, there could never be anything else. Since I've had kids though - It has toned down - so I thought I'd use the opportunity to study.

If any of my kids show artistic flair, I will be onto it like a shot and encouraging them to pursue it.

I am the opposite of you, my DS1 I think may be academic, it is hard to tell because he is 7. But he is doing really well in school, he loves learning about scientific stuff and asks me really intense questions all the time about how blood works and blue whales and stuff. I just sit there going "Can I teach you how to play music?" He says no though. Doh!

agree with you but I was raised with the view that if you have a degree or a qualification of some sort you'll always have something to fall back on while you do other things (like travel, or be a SAHM for a while, or whatever). Obviously it depends on what qualification you get as some are less useful tha others, but I've always found it easy to get work as a lawyer even after considerable breaks from the profession. My siblings had nursing to fall back on and my deceased brother was a journalist. I guess for me I'd worry how my kids were going to pay the bills etc if they had nothing to go back to. DD1 is showing a strong leaning to artistic fields not academic which is a head spin for DH and I but we'll support her no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I completely grew that academic results aren't the be all and end all. I said that earlier. I think just that you can't use results for selective schools and use them as indicative of all public schools.

As I said earlier though, I don't see money spent on education as being wasted so long as the child benefits from it and emerges as a well rounded, thoughtful and broad minded individuals.

I don't think a private education is the be all and end all - far from it. And unless a particular school offered something specific for a child of mine I wouldn't dream of slaving 'just' for the sake of sending my child there.

That being said, the cost of senior schooling at an elite school in Sydney is the same as full time Childcare in the city. And that's taking into account the rebate.
    I agree with you, it comes down to the school for me, there are two high schools I've got my eye on here. One is Catholic and one public.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Haha my apologies for the 7am googling mistake!

And I haven't seen last year's list. I'd be interested in it.
    http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I did really well in my public high school. I got into my first uni choice... and then didn't go. I'm glad I didn't either - I would have wasted a lot of time and money.

I think some of my teachers would be disappointed to discover that instead of becoming something grand, I am a beauty therapist. Meh.

What I want to be is a writer... but at the moment lack the drive for that. I figure if I'm going to write novels, I'm going to do it regardless of education. Doing a uni degree doesn't make you a writer, same as not having one doesn't stop you from being one.

Most people I know have gone to lead pretty average lives... regardless of which school they went to or how well they did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I figure if I'm going to write novels, I'm going to do it regardless of education. Doing a uni degree doesn't make you a writer, same as not having one doesn't stop you from being one.
    This, actually a lot of writers believe that Uni stifles your creativity, that it tries to put everyone in a box and forces people to be a certain way, rather than just letting the creative juices flow. Uni doesn't make you a better Director, actor, musician or dancer or any other number of creative professions either.