+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to a private school, I was pushed and encouraged to apply myself (some thing I needed) I started a uni degree, but have taken time off to have a family. I earn decent money though and enjoy my job all though in sure people would look down on it because or the industry (retail/admin).

if I wasn't at school and mum hadn't called, they would call to ask where I was. They also have a reputation for having very little bullying.

my brothers went to public schools-
    one went to a selective high school that suited his talents and interests (hands on, lease academic) and did fine.

Brother 2 just decides not to go to school all the time (he is still at school) public school dosent care. Hopefully he will finish up ok. The school dosent ever communicate with parents apart from a report care at end of term.

He was also bullied a lot during primary school and he and mum were told that's life get over it.

So based on my family experience, and the choice of schools I have local to us, our kids are going private. Dd1 is already in the 3yo kinder programme and is thriving (it's a 3yo montisori proggramme, they wear uniforms).

If we lived in a diffent area then I would consider both public or private.

I don't really care if my kids finish school and decide not to go to uni, it's still money well spent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha maybe it is our professional extended circles that emphasise the school thing? I've certainly never noticed it anywhere else we have worked though so in confident that Sydney itself has a lot to do with it.

I agree that people do send their children to private school for academic results - that's the point a PP was making when you posted the link about the top performing schools being public. As those schools were selective schools I was pointing out that it's not really comparing the choices 99% of parents have in terms of choosing between a public school and a private school.

If you remove the selective schools from that list then the top performing schools are private schools. So parents who choose private schools probably are onto something if they want their kids to do better than they might otherwise academically - particularly if a child needs a particular type of environment to excel in.

As for my daughter, she is starting the transition program for the local public school this week. As other have said, we don't see any point boxing our child into a particular school path until we have a better understanding of her strengths, weaknesses and interests.

And if I am honest, a little bit of me shrivels up inside at the thought of her going to one of 'those' schools and becoming one of 'those' people who rabbit on about where they went to school twenty years down the track 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Isn't the answer that the type of school has something to do with what you'll end up doing with yourself but personal ability/intelligence, motivations and family support/upbringing have way more influence?

Someone who is not above average intelligence will never be a doctor despite what school they go to.

The smartest person in the world who chooses to stay at home and bring up a family is never going to have a successful paid career, out of choice, no matter what school they go to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to public schools all the way through. I got completely lost in the system and I think I was already behind when I reached high school. I was easily led and there were a lot of distractions and bullying and I basically couldn't be bothered to do much work and I got lost and forgotten about. I used to decide not to go to school and the school never checked this with my parents so they would only find out at end of term report cards. I ended up leaving in year 10 and worked in retail then office admin. Went to TAFE at 19 and figured out there how to actually study and learn. Worked as a PA and EA in legal and finance (now am not working due to studying again and pregnancy) was surprised when I went to my school reunion that even though I left in year 10 I haven't done that much worse than the people in my year that stayed to year 12 (not many people went to uni from our school and most that did went as mature age).

I think possibly I needed a bit more motivation than other students and wasn't given this and it didn't help that my parents only started taking an interest and realising in year 9 that there was a problem and how behind I was - too late by that stage my bad habits and lack of motivation were set and I had low self esteem because I basically thought I was dumb. All in all I hated every minute of my public school high school experience and couldn't wait to see the back of the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Haha maybe it is our professional extended circles that emphasise the school thing? I've certainly never noticed it anywhere else we have worked though so in confident that Sydney itself has a lot to do with it.

I agree that people do send their children to private school for academic results - that's the point a PP was making when you posted the link about the top performing schools being public. As those schools were selective schools I was pointing out that it's not really comparing the choices 99% of parents have in terms of choosing between a public school and a private school.

If you remove the selective schools from that list then the top performing schools are private schools. So parents who choose private schools probably are onto something if they want their kids to do better than they might otherwise academically - particularly if a child needs a particular type of environment to excel in.

As for my daughter, she is starting the transition program for the local public school this week. As other have said, we don't see any point boxing our child into a particular school path until we have a better understanding of her strengths, weaknesses and interests.

And if I am honest, a little bit of me shrivels up inside at the thought of her going to one of 'those' schools and becoming one of 'those' people who rabbit on about where they went to school twenty years down the track 😁
    I wonder though if the top performing private school are also quite selective in their students??

I guess you'd have to compare 'like schools' to get a good result.

To be completely honest I think at the moment I'm probably in a wonderful position as a parent. I can select which teachers my children will have but more so I can dodge the ones I seem necessary. Unfortunately in both the public and private system there are some under performing teachers. Just like with any job I'd imagine.

I read back a few posts that private schools need the numbers so they worry about their image. I just thought I'd add that as a 'popular' public primary school our image and reputation is just as important. Just like a private school loses fees on lack of numbers, public schools lose funding and teachers based of enrolment figures. We very much work in selling our school to encourage students but our reputation is what has us as the biggest school out of 7 in our local area with many of our students coming from the private school two streets away.

The dilemma I have is that a huge number of our students go on to attend the private high schools ( there is no co ed apart from the state school- just an all boys and all girls private school). I will look into it further of course when the time comes but if our local high school doesn't improve I may have to send them to the private boys school or alternatively to a state high school with a great reputation in the next town that is a 30 minute commute (which I know is normal if I was to live in a city).

I'm really finding your responses very interesting. Thank you all for contributing.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 13-10-2013 at 07:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I've lived in Sydney most of my life, was born here, moved away for 5 years, returned for university, moved to the outback, lived overseas, now am back. I have never been asked which school I went to in my profession or by a lot of my friends and couldn't give a shiz what school other people went to, but in my profession and circle of friends, it doesn't matter! Perhaps in your profession it does. It's a bit pretentious IMO. I'm not sure what you do or where you live, but that probably has a lot to do with it!

ETA this paragraph. I've been thinking about this and my current best friend who I've known for over 5 years (met her at mothers' group after my first was born) and I don't even know which high school she went to. There are 7 of us who still keep in touch from mothers' group and out of all of them, I only know which school one went to. It just doesn't matter.

Will your child go private or public?

And I do believe parents choose a private school for academics. Vast majority of parents of private school students would expect their kids to go to university. Community, facilities and dare I say it, even connections don't get you into university.
    DH gets asked all the time which school he went to we he signs up clients - he hates answering as he went to the dodgy local public school !

the private boys school in Sydney we are sending DS too has a TAFE qualification that in year 11-12 they can do a trade, still graduate with their class and come out with an apprenticeship in just about any trade they want - I'm definitely not sending him there just so he goes to Uni , I went to a private girls school for 12 years and never went to Uni - I just want to make sure he has every option available , the facilities are amazing , the charity work , the opportunity for overseas excursions , plus they just offer more than any of the local public schools , so if he happens to be into sport , art, music, drama , or very academic he is covered !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a grammar school, have a degree and will shortly complete my post grad. I am a nuclear medicine scientist.
    My circle of friends from high school are now a lawyer, an event manager, a nutritionist and a SAHM.
    My brother and sister went to a catholic school, my brother is an electrical engineer and my sister is a marketing manager.
    I think the career paths we chose had more to do with the way our parents raised than the schooling we received, although I really loved my school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DH gets asked all the time which school he went to we he signs up clients - he hates answering as he went to the dodgy local public school !

the private boys school in Sydney we are sending DS too has a TAFE qualification that in year 11-12 they can do a trade, still graduate with their class and come out with an apprenticeship in just about any trade they want - I'm definitely not sending him there just so he goes to Uni , I went to a private girls school for 12 years and never went to Uni - I just want to make sure he has every option available , the facilities are amazing , the charity work , the opportunity for overseas excursions , plus they just offer more than any of the local public schools , so if he happens to be into sport , art, music, drama , or very academic he is covered !
    He should be proud. He is a prime example then of it not mattering which school people go to to be successful.

I would also ask where the clients are from. For everyday Aussies, it's not a blip on the radar IMO.

I grew up in Mt. Druitt before moving to the Central Coast, then back to Sydney for uni. so I don't ever and would never judge someone on a school. Perhaps it's different in more affluent areas. I live in St George area now (but not the exclusive suburbs) can't say my friends that I have met around here care about what schools people went to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a high quality public school in an affluent area, have a degree in Business Management & work in Finance. DH went to a poor public school, barely scraped by, got a trade but then later went to Uni & now is an operations manager for a large manufacturing company on a high income. Our kids go to a public school in an affluent area that out performs the private ones. The high school they will attend offers IB, performing arts & has many other good program's available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I was private school educated and while I don't necessarily think children will do better at private as opposed to public academically, I have always noticed how my school friends write and speak well, have good grammar, and definitely stand out to me as the better educated in that respect. We had quite a small final year though and I believe the school is much bigger now which would deter me sending DS there tbh. Public high schools have much bigger class sizes and the kids generally come from all walks of life and are more street wise - we were pretty sheltered in that respect.

But educationally/future career-wise, I don't think it makes much difference. It's a very individual/personality type hung to chose a career and no school will ultimately influence how studious a student wants to be.
    I understand what you're saying but I went to public high school and had a group of friends from private and they all speak horribly. I think for them it was 'cool' to sound uneducated. A few of them can't spell to save themselves and it drives me nuts!

I'm huge on spelling and grammar so whether DD goes public or private I will be pushing correct grammar on her. I hate listening to people who sound uneducated, it makes me cringe!

Just realized I probably sound a bit bi*chy, I don't mean to be!