+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There would be just as much pressure (probably even more IMO considering cost involved) for private school students to perform.
    I don't think the two remotely compare.

And the fact remains, the public schools topping the list you linked are selective schools - schools that select children based on excellence and giftedness. By definition they select the top performing and most capable students. Given private schools don't just 'select' students on academic ability they are unlikely to out score selective schools academically.

Private schools may very well offer better academic outcomes for regular students than a local public school and that may be why some parents choose to send their children. But I'd never expect them to compete with academically selective schools and am surprised anyone would.

I'd hazard a guess though that people spending upwards of $20k per child on private education isn't just after academic achievement for their child. They want the facilities, the community, the experiences and the connections.

As a non-native Sydney person I'm constantly amazed at the emphasis Sydney people place on what school someone went to. A person can have multiple degrees, have been a Rhodes Scholar and had twenty years of high level corporate experience and STILL get asked what school they went to. It's remarkable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    i thought Montessori promoted independence and choice? To me it goes against what Montessori means and their philosophy?
    Well....the school is definitely montessori and DD definitely wears a uniform.... Not sure what else I can say

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask with the selective schools are they still required to take students from the catchment on a non selective basis? I attended a selective school many moons ago but the school was still obliged to accept any student who lived in the catchment so it was only selective if you were outside. There are still selective schools in Melbourne that operate on a similar system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Well....the school is definitely montessori and DD definitely wears a uniform.... Not sure what else I can say

Montessori schools are allowed to interpret the Montessori system quite freely so long as they stick to basic learning principles. Some schools have uniforms and many don't, some have desks and many don't, some have the same teacher for the entire school life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Montessori schools are allowed to interpret the Montessori system quite freely so long as they stick to basic learning principles. Some schools have uniforms and many don't, some have desks and many don't, some have the same teacher for the entire school life.
    Thanks. You know more about then me LOL. I know some montessori schools can be quite ' alternate' for lack of another word but DDs school is definitely not like that. Worst thing about it is the snobby rich parents. !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Thanks. You know more about then me LOL. I know some montessori schools can be quite ' alternate' for lack of another word but DDs school is definitely not like that. Worst thing about it is the snobby rich parents. !

DS1 is attending a Montessori preschool next year. I don't know much about it tbh but listened to a fascinating radio interview with a Montessori education expert and realised no two schools are the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public, primary and high school.. Im a trained/qualified childcare worker (now a sahm)
    some of my friends who I went right through with... Childcare, abitoires, mechanics, i.t. Something or others...

a family friend went all private... She milks cows.

Our public high school didn't have the best rep. I actually didn't want to go there, I wanted private, worked myself into such a state I had a migraine the night before.... But now im glad I did, I had a blast!

For the record, the public school offered 3-4 times as many subject choices than the others, we often had private students transferring in yrs 10/11.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I don't think the two remotely compare.

And the fact remains, the public schools topping the list you linked are selective schools - schools that select children based on excellence and giftedness. By definition they select the top performing and most capable students. Given private schools don't just 'select' students on academic ability they are unlikely to out score selective schools academically.

Private schools may very well offer better academic outcomes for regular students than a local public school and that may be why some parents choose to send their children. But I'd never expect them to compete with academically selective schools and am surprised anyone would.

I'd hazard a guess though that people spending upwards of $20k per child on private education isn't just after academic achievement for their child. They want the facilities, the community, the experiences and the connections.

As a non-native Sydney person I'm constantly amazed at the emphasis Sydney people place on what school someone went to. A person can have multiple degrees, have been a Rhodes Scholar and had twenty years of high level corporate experience and STILL get asked what school they went to. It's remarkable.
    I've lived in Sydney most of my life, was born here, moved away for 5 years, returned for university, moved to the outback, lived overseas, now am back. I have never been asked which school I went to in my profession or by a lot of my friends and couldn't give a shiz what school other people went to, but in my profession and circle of friends, it doesn't matter! Perhaps in your profession it does. It's a bit pretentious IMO. I'm not sure what you do or where you live, but that probably has a lot to do with it!

ETA this paragraph. I've been thinking about this and my current best friend who I've known for over 5 years (met her at mothers' group after my first was born) and I don't even know which high school she went to. There are 7 of us who still keep in touch from mothers' group and out of all of them, I only know which school one went to. It just doesn't matter.

Will your child go private or public?

And I do believe parents choose a private school for academics. Vast majority of parents of private school students would expect their kids to go to university. Community, facilities and dare I say it, even connections don't get you into university.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 13-10-2013 at 06:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Can I ask with the selective schools are they still required to take students from the catchment on a non selective basis? I attended a selective school many moons ago but the school was still obliged to accept any student who lived in the catchment so it was only selective if you were outside. There are still selective schools in Melbourne that operate on a similar system.
    Some do and some don't take those who live in the catchment.

There is a high school not far from me that does have a selective ****** but also takes in all in the catchment area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother and I went to public schools for primary and junior high school.

For our senior years we went to a private boarding school as we lived rurally.

It definitely gave us more opportunites not just academically but a lot more experiences became available to us.

My brother is an accountant who works as a finance Director overseas and I became a lawyer.

Our eldest goes to a state school currently and it's fabulous with a lovely school community. There are a lot more options available in the city so for later years we are open to finding schools which best suit our children whether they are private or public.