+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    Elijah's mum- yep our is ninjago themed. There is no actual ninjago party products so I've made them myself. As for the games I've got
    Ninja relays
    Pin the sword on the ninja
    Pass the ninja
    Ninja star throwing
    Ninjago bingo
    We also have a photo booth with props
    I've also designated time to serve the hot food as I want them to actually sit and eat proper food- well, not proper food but mini hot dogs, party pies and home made sausage rolls.
    As well as time for the cake & presents

If time permits- decorating ninjabread men and a treasure hunt but I doubt I'll get through all of the other games.

Party food is ninja jelly, cupcakes, cookies, Lego brownies, fruit swords. I've made labels for the pop top poppers (juice and water) so each kid will have their own.
    I've got a prize bag for any incidentals.

Am I missing anything?
    That sounds great! They will have a ball! Have fun and remember to take tons of photos and videos!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After having a few parties at home I find the easiest thing to do is to have it around lunch time (usually starting at 11am) and doing a BBQ with a few nibbles and drinks. That way I'm not preparing heaps and heaps of food. Works really well, everyone's happy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you written out the time line? High light the important things, the food, cake, presents, those should happen bang on the time you set.

One party I hosted, I got carried away with the games (you think it wouldn't take long to play a few games, but trying to organize a big bunch of over excited loud kids can drag a simple game out lol) I ended up having to rush the cake and presents at the end as parents were arriving and wanting to leave with their kids.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaDuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Be prepared to have at least 1 kid not want to join in the games, I found boys parties needed more first aid supplies such as band aids because the boys played a lot rougher then the boys, have a realistic time frame for party games they don't last as long as you might think, like pp said label cups, have another adult there to tag team supervision, unless it's a ice cream cake napkins work well instead of plates, don't go crazy on decorations they don't really get noticed and get plenty of sleep the night before because that 1.5-2 hours will be the longest and most exhausting ever

8. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    I'm having my sons 6th birthday party at home in a few weeks. Since it's the first kids party I've held I'm just looking for any advice, hints etc to make the day easier. It's for around 20 kids over the lunch period.

What have you thought worked/didn't work at a kids party? Any advice is more than welcome total novice here!
    After my twin DD birthday party on the weekend, my advice is be prepared for kids to bring siblings. I was prepared for the number that had RSVP but then had five kids bring siblings and the party host had her own son there! So I didn't have enough loot bags for everyone and cake had to cut a bit thinner for everyone to get a slice. Moral of the story make sure you've got enough cake and loot bags for unexpected extras 😉

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Mediocre Mumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you are all organised, My Beloved Ones. Have a great time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    For DS's birthday we had a slip n slide set up, tamp and swing set in back yard, i had paints set up, i did a treasure hunt (just $1/$2 toys), i set up a table with milk arrowroot bickies, icing and toppings and the kids made their own bickies! Set up a table of food and drinks and let them go wild.
    I really dont like it when the kids dont get to open pressies at the party. People really like seeing their pressie get opened.
    Def have a time frame 2 hours is plenty.
    Oh and ive never done loot bags. I figured they had a toy from the treasure hunt so its all good. Im not a fan of loot bags. Whats the point of then anyway???

14. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am agreeing with the presents at the party thing. I like seeing the child unwrap the present. Also, while I agree with children learning about charity, I really think birthday presents are important for kids. It teaches them about giving just as much as giving to charity does. If not more as money doesn't really mean anything to kids. Perhaps the birthday girl/boy might like to give double ups or two or three presents to charity afterward? Not sure what the best way to go would be. I just think there's nothing wrong with it being all about the birthday kid for a day.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

IncyWincy  (14-10-2013),loislane2010  (20-10-2013),My Beloved Ones  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have had a few big parties here and enjoyed them, I agree on writing down a rough time line and sticking to it. It can be a rush to do the cake at the end otherwise.

The only advice I have to add is if the parents are dropping and running, make sure you have their mobile numbers for contact just in case. If I haven't got them from a rsvp text I ask them to write it down before they leave.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    For DS's birthday we had a slip n slide set up, tamp and swing set in back yard, i had paints set up, i did a treasure hunt (just $1/$2 toys), i set up a table with milk arrowroot bickies, icing and toppings and the kids made their own bickies! Set up a table of food and drinks and let them go wild.
    I really dont like it when the kids dont get to open pressies at the party. People really like seeing their pressie get opened.
    Def have a time frame 2 hours is plenty.
    Oh and ive never done loot bags. I figured they had a toy from the treasure hunt so its all good. Im not a fan of loot bags. Whats the point of then anyway???
    The milk arrowroot activity is great. I have done it at school and they have all loved it. If you want to be more health conscious, you can do ants on a log with cream cheese and different toppings (be careful of peanut butter for allergy reasons) but I personally think the biccies are fun for birthday parties