+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's your best birthday party tip?

I'm having my sons 6th birthday party at home in a few weeks. Since it's the first kids party I've held I'm just looking for any advice, hints etc to make the day easier. It's for around 20 kids over the lunch period.

What have you thought worked/didn't work at a kids party? Any advice is more than welcome total novice here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    20 kids? Wow, you're gutsy! Keep them outside as much as possible- with structured activities. If you're making party bags to take home you could include an activity which would be the gift rather than lollies or look out for cheap toys. ie I found magic trick boxes at kmart for $1 each. I then threw in water balloons and 1 small chocolate bar each. (I can't stand lolly bags packed with lollies).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (13-10-2013),My Beloved Ones  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1381530017382.jpg

Also, pre make as much as possible.

Have different tables set up with activities, ie water table, drawing, Lego etc. Have heaps of drinks and cups (seriously the cups just seem to vanish).

I agree with the pp about party bags. 1 small treat/sweet and then little toys.

Big W, in the party stuff section has small bags of different toys. They have parachute men, tiny water pistols and are about $1 - $2 a bag.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subbing - will reply later - I'm having DS birthday party here next Sunday - 15 kids of different ages

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had all but 1 of our parties at home. Definitely have a strict time frame outlined on the invitation. For an at home party, 1.5 hours to 2 hours is plenty! Have a definite place to place pressies and perhaps open them after the event so you can keep track of who gave what pressie. I agree that trying to get some structure into the party is a great idea. eg: have something for them to do during the stage when everyone is arriving- mini bubble kits are great for this. Also, perhaps have kids line up to get their hair sprayed with colours and glitter- from $2 shop. I have found boys and girls love this, and they are happy to stand still for a few minutes to line up. Have all food prepped before hand so when the time comes, it is ready to go. eg: precook sausages or mini meat pies a few hours ahead and have them just warming til needed, fairy bread, maybe a plate of sandwiches for parents, chopped fruit. A drink despenser is great if you can get your hands on one- have it set up on a separate table and kids can help themselves. Before the party starts, delegate activities where you can eg: hair spraying, food clean up. Another great way to get some structure is to do some simple games eg: limbo under a broom stick to disco music, dancing statues. Also, kids can line up for an icecream cone with some sprinkles. Then, cake at the end, a lolly bag on the way out, and you're done! Have fun x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try pre-labelling the cups (it's what I ended up doing at DS1's 6th Birthday) I don't have any other advice to add, you have already been given some great advice and I wont repeat it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get all the people close to you in your family (mum, mil, best friend etc) to each bring a platter to help you in the food department. My mil brought a big fruit platter, bestie made a big plate of sandwiches, sister bought some sweet stuff and chips and dips, Aunty bought home made sausage rolls. It just helped money wise and preparation wise.

I bought a few different prizes for boys and girls and had them in a cute box so when a child won a game they could choose their own prize. It worked really well. I had things like a pack of Uno cards, a pencil case, a Polly pocket, matchbox cars etc.

Games like musical bobs/mats/statues take little planning. We also did pass the parcel and a mini treasure hunt which took a bit more organising but I made sure that was all done in the days prior.

I ordered stuff for the party bags online and did them all up with each child's name. I had boys and girls ones. They looked really cute. We had lollipops, smarties, stickers, bubbles, crayons, a balloon, party popper and a couple of other sweets in there. I got paper bags from spotlight to all match the theme if the party (red/blue/yellow- superhero theme).

I made a lot of the food in advance and froze it. I froze heaps of cookie dough, baked cupcakes/mini carrot cakes in advance and froze them (un-iced, I iced them the morning of the party).

I delegated some tasks to take the pressure of us, so fil picked up the ice for the eskies etc.

DH and I did all the balloon blowing/decorating the night before once birthday boy was in bed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also had a craft table set up which was a hit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for today's crowd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Don't do it?

Mostly, I think just don't over-cater and don't over-organise. If you've got ANYTHING AT ALL for them to play with, they will likely play with that, and not want to play that many organised games, and won't want to break away from playing to eat much.

My trampoline got a serious workout for DD's 6th, and the food was barely touched.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (13-10-2013)