+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. I also wouldn't live with my own parents unless there was a prey extreme reason and I was one step away from the streets.
    I have a great relationship with my parents and inlaws, I just don't agree that adults should live with their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read your second post, I probably misinterpreted the original question as most of the time it is adult children moving in with their parents.

I feel sorry for your mil, but I still wouldn't have her live with you. It is too much intrusion on your own life. She may just need to tough it out with her own daughter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL moved in a few months ago and everything I was scared of happening, now happens.

I can't just let the house go a little because she's constantly picking up after everyone which I feel bad about because she's old, I hardly get to watch any of my shows because she's always got the tv on her shows, she's half deaf so you have to repeat every single thing you say, she has an opinion on every decision we make - big or small, grocery shopping takes twice as long, even after I told her she still cooks with ingredients that I don't like to feed my family, she tries to tell us how to live our lives, she hovers over DS constantly, and the list goes on and on and on...

At the end of the day though, I know her situation living with us is better than what it was or would be, so then I start to feel a bit better, because she really is lovely and would do anything for us!

Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OneWithUnagi For This Useful Post:

tubster  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did for a month after I had my dd2...she was a sick bubba and I didnt recover well from a very fast labour and my dp had to go straight back to work...my parents were away so that was my only option. .it was great. .she was such a help to me letting me rest and bringing in bub for feeds etc and cooking dinner for us all including my then 6 year old. ..we get along great and it made us so much closer..However I realise I'm very lucky to have a mil who doesn't interfere and who is very respectful of me and the choices I make...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to meljemillie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If there's no room there's no room. If there's not a bed for her, there's not a bed for her. Doesn't make you selfish, makes it reality.

Is there other ways that your DH can support her, spend more time with her, bring her meals etc without having her live with you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No no no.

We live away from both our families so they stay for a week or so when they visit and it's lovely but when you live in another adult's space privacy becomes virtually impossible and quite frankly there are many things I'd rather not know about either my or DH's parents. Just funny little ways they do things.

I don't think it's good for a marriage (well my marriage in particular) either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Noooooo. If I lived in her house I would have to abide by all her silly little ways of doing things (washing dishes before they go in the dishwasher.... Wtf). And if she lived in my house I would blow my lid as she is lazy and she never helps when she is here.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't live with any adults other than my hubby. I think it's unnatural... Doomed for failure for a grown partnered adult to live in a house with adults that are not their partner . Two hens (or c0cks) can't rule the roost).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't live with my MIL or my mum but I would if I have a chance. Conflicts are inevitable but we'll survive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having her share a bed with your son is not an acceptable arrangement! So I would say no as well.

As for me, I have lived with my XIL's out of necessity, it was good at times and extremely frustrating at times. But see once I got jack of it, I chose to move out. Whereas if you have your elderly MIL live with you and you get jack of it, you can't exactly kick her out! So I would say no for that reason too.

Good luck, I hope she can sort something out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did for a few months when we came back to Australia after travelling for most of the year. I was fine with MIL and FIL. I damn near killed my BIL... Ugh. Flashbacks...