+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My five children had it at the same 3 years ago. It didn't last the 100 days. They were fine it was just annoying for them more than anything.

Our youngest was about 6 weeks when she had it and she had the tiniest cough, you wouldn't even know she had it if she had not tested positive. Our eldest probably had it the worst (11 at the time.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    They must have known they were sick with somthing, but still went to see a newborn. Disgusting.
    Yes this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had WC a few years ago, I had no cold symptoms at all. The first time I noticed that initial annoying tickly cough was.... wait for it.... sitting at a playgroup Christmas party (OMG shoot me, how "disgusting" of me! How dare I didn't quarantine myself that morning because of my.... erm... because of nothing?).

Anyhoo, OP, my DD got it as well but she was about 4yo, so I don't have any experience with bubbies and WC. Hopefully all is ok, good luck.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-10-2013),HowCrazyCool  (12-10-2013),kw123  (12-10-2013),rosengold111  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Exactly CMF. I don't get these attitudes. Most diseases are infectious in the very beginning stages or even before the symptoms start. I wouldn't have even known our newborn had whooping cough it was so mild.

By the time the big coughing and the whoop start which is the time people
    Start to think something might be wrong other than a sniffle, the bacteria that causes whooping cough has died and you are no longer Infectious anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

rosengold111  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We suspected our (vaccinated) 11 year old had it after a couple of weeks and I practically had to force the doctor to even test him, even though we had a newborn. He said 'oh no, it's def not
    WC'. It was...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is just coming from someone with a compromised immune system, but even just a "sniffle" can cause lots of problems.

I don't get these attitudes that it is ok if it is "just a sniffle" for some people it really isn't. Is it really that hard to put off visiting a baby a few days until you don't have a sniffle anymore?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-10-2013),rosengold111  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree. I am super cautious around bubs and other people in general. I would never visit a newborn when sick but I was just saying alot of the time
    People are contagious before they even know they are sick. Believe me. I've been through a great deal of scary stuff with dd2 but I would never waste my energy blaming anyone or labelling tj
    Disgusting.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    This is just coming from someone with a compromised immune system, but even just a "sniffle" can cause lots of problems.

I don't get these attitudes that it is ok if it is "just a sniffle" for some people it really isn't. Is it really that hard to put off visiting a baby a few days until you don't have a sniffle anymore?
    Well seeing as my kids have sniffles for 50% of the year that does become difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah same, and if the baby was a year old I'd probably be like whatever, but under 6 months, I'd probably just skip it until everyone was feeling well.

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Well seeing as my kids have sniffles for 50% of the year that does become difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But then where do you draw the line? I knew a fellow who dragged himself to work every day even though he was hacking like he was going to cough up a lung. Every day I would say "it sounds like whooping cough" and every day he would say "no, its just a cold". 6 weeks and he finally went to the doctor and diagnosed straight away, the doctor knew before the tests were even done. 6 weeks of coming to work and spreading around potentially fatal germs. The reason that annoys me is that he didn't even get it checked and he was so ill.

If you go to the doctor and they say "no just a virus", then you still did the best you could to get a diagnosis. So I am not talking about people like that either.

I totally get if it is a little sniffle, of hay fever type thing or tickle in the throat, and I know that some diseases don't have symptoms at first even when contagious and of course I am not talking about those people.

But there becomes a point when people know they don't feel well, and those people should not be visiting babies, hospitals, those people should not be working in childcare or healthcare, they need to take their sick days. There needs to be some level of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I agree. I am super cautious around bubs and other people in general. I would never visit a newborn when sick but I was just saying alot of the time
    People are contagious before they even know they are sick. Believe me. I've been through a great deal of scary stuff with dd2 but I would never waste my energy blaming anyone or labelling tj
    Disgusting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MummaJez  (12-10-2013)