+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default FOOD ISSUES 10 mo - Advice appreciated from you clever mums !

So I have a DD who is almost 10 months now and I have had her on solids since 5 months. I have two questions for you clever mamas out there relating to solids/baby foods:

1) As I have noted in another post DD has had some nasty reflux issues (tempered by some excellent medication now). I'm not sure if this is the problem but although she took sooo well to her purees, she cannot do lumps of ANY kind. I have tried introducing so slowly (mostly pureed pumpkin adding in some fine mash through it) but she has the most incredible gag reflex and brings up everything she's eaten (plus her milk feed sometimes ).

I have opted at this stage to vito the lumpy purees as they don't seem to be working and am giving her finger foods instead to try and intro textures. She still gags and brings up stuff sometimes but seems unfazed and is at least in control of eating this way - although not much is actually being consumed I fear. I only do this once or twice a day at the moment (as by the time I do milk feed, losec, finger food followed by purees we could spend the whole day eating and cleaning up the eating!). My first qu is if any other mums experienced this with their kids and what they did? I have a referal to a paed to get a once over, but any tips in the meantime would be great.

2) My second questions relates to food varieties. I adhere to a relatively paleo type diet (fruit, veg, meats and min grains/processed foods) and so am not keen on rice cereals and most commercial breads for baby as a result. Does anyone out there have similar values / ideas about diet and have any suggestions for bulking out meals / different foods to try for bubs? Bubs is on the spectrum of veg and fruits (pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, peas, carrot, broccoli, cauli, green beans etc and banana, pear, apple, watermelon), and am in the process of introducing meats (though texture here with her gap reflex may be a struggle) but would love some other great ideas.

THANKS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    could you give her a lamb chop with a handle when she's not raging hungry and let her play/suck at it? not caring if she eats it or not - so offering it after a milk feed as a 'snack'? This might be a gentle way to introduce red meat and she has total control.
    i know you said you dont do grains as such, but i found cous cous to be wondeful texture when added to purees.
    does she drink water with her food? water can lubricate the mouth so the 'lumps' slide down a little easier - i offer plenty water with chicken and meats
    i did a mix of blw and purees with my 2nd bub from 6mths and he ended up swallowing foods whole - chunks of pumpkin, soft pear, peas, a quatered mushroom!
    how is she with a plain biscuit or with some avocado on a cruskit? will she suck on a rusk?
    i think if you stop trying to make purees 'lumpier' and just give her complete control over what she puts in her mouth. i know you said you tried finger foods but did you then return to purees when she gagged on finger foods? i would try bing consistant with whole foods. she may need practice on her mouth chewing actions as well as swallowing. im sure she will grow out of gagging in time.
    good luck, i dont know what else to suggest. hopefully the paed can assess her and give you more answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Lakey. Someone else has just suggested the lamb bone thing for me too, so think I'll give that a crack.

I agree with nixing the lumpy purees, she just isn't getting enough with the finger foods so I top her up with some puree after I give them to her. Maybe I need to do it more frequently and see what happens. Since i posted this, I have realised through speaking to a GP that it could be to do with her tonsils as they are naturally very large. Not sure if there's much they can do about that though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best thing to do is have her assessed by a speech pathologist they will be able to recommend what you need to do to overcome her problems with lumpy food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 couldn't handle lumpy foods only pureed or whole foods.
    Just something some babies have.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 had severe reflux and would basically projectile vomit anything other than breastmilk until she had turned 1. Then she managed silky smooth purees and finally around 2 started eating regular foods. She's almost 4 now and still has an incredibly strong gag reflex.
    I tried lots of different things, but really, she just took her time. Around 17 months when I weaned her she discovered her appetite and put on a kilogram in a month. Up until then I pretty much ended up wearing any food I offered her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-10-2013 at 15:11.