+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Earliest you can take PPL

Im only early pregnant (7weeks today) im struggling immensly in my job mainly due to the 5am starts and the physically demanding nature of my work. I have no idea how im going to continue on with this until the 30 odd week mark that most women do! My job dosent have much options in regarding changing to less strenuous options and TBH im not sure im going to return after bub is orn. My dH and i have been planning for over 5 years and have the saving to support me as a SAHM for a whilst. I also have family who will be coming to visit when im around the 28 week stage so Im not sure what my options will be. I will be applying for the governemnt PPL as havent been in my current job long enough for the my employer to offer it. Is there a minimum time frame the governemnt will offer the PPL from? I know its 16 weeks but is there a rule that states from how soon this will be paid? Im sure my energy levels will pick up and i will feel better soon but i would like to know my options now and it will at least give me a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you can receive ppl (government) until you baby is born, as you need to show proof of birth etc. the first trimester is really hard but I'm sure you energy levels will start to pick up once you're in the second trimester. Could you possibly ask your work if you can drop a couple of days until you start feeling better?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Sweeetie  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to have worked at least 10 of the 13 months prior to the birth of your baby and it will not be paid until your bub is born.

I had only just started a new job when fell pregnant but because I had worked prior to the new job I had I was still eligible.
    You only have to work I think 8 or 9 hours a week to be eligible for ppl. So maybe you could cut down days? But you wont be able to stop work for a while yet.
    And dont worry the tiredness does get better once past your first trimester

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolier For This Useful Post:

Sweeetie  (11-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, i didnt realise cutting down the hours dosent affect the PPL so maybe i can cut down on the number of days I work. I am really hoping energy levels pick up! Have been ridiculously tired but then struggling to sleep at night which has made my lifer utterly miserable for the past week and a bit!! We arent well off enough that i can give up work right now and the PPL is important to me! Ive always worked but i changed to this new job 6 months ago so if you have to have worked 10 or the 13 months before birth does that mean the earliest you could leave work would be at 6 months pregnant? But then obviously the PPL dosent begin until the birth? (i didnt realise this part before!) thanks again for the info! I make it to 32 weeks as then i have enough holiday leave to cover the between time until the birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd dare say you will find you will get more energy when you get into the 2nd trimester.
    I would keep working as long as you can. When does your work offer maternity leave? Is it after 12 months of service? Because if so and you have been there for 6 months, you should be eligible for it by the time you are due to have bub!
    As to what the others have said, PPL wont be paid until you have given birth.

I'm stuggling with exhaustion really bad this time. Last time it started a bit later for me but thit does go away! And then later in the pregnancy I would get tired easier but it was never too bad. I always look at the other side - I want to take my mat leave as late as possible so I have more time at home with bubs after he or she is here before I have to return to work! I would personally go stir crazy at home on maternity leave before my bub arrived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep sounds about right, but it definitely won't be paid until bub is born and keep in mind that it wont be in your bank as soon as bub is born as you have to take them a proof of birth and then it could take up to 4 weeks before its processed and a payment is made. I waited 2
    Weeks for my first, but my sister in law had to wait 6 weeks.
    Just makr sure you lodge the claim early.

Check out their website for more info and I would also give them a call and ask for advice as they will be able to tell you how many hours a week you need to work to qualify and when the earlist it is you can finish up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app